2010 Winter Olympics

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Historic night of upsets in men's hockey as the Czech Republic, Sweden and Russia are all defeated. How historic, you ask? Well, the last time neither of those three countries found their way onto the podium in hockey (including the Soviet Union) was 1936. Last time none of those countries even made it to the medal round was 4 years earlier in 1932. In fact this is only the second time in the history of Olympic hockey that this has happened.

Or maybe this is just boring and I'm desperate to indulge my stats geekery at 2:30 in the morning. :shifty:

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Slovakia's not going to be a pushover though, this isn't Belarus in 2002 or anything. (Speaking of which, I think this officially puts Sweden at the top of being tortured in Olympic hockey, or maybe Russia because at least Sweden won gold the one time they didn't fail spectacularly). Chara's going to be out for blood.

Canada/US is the storybook final, but I'm going to predict Canada/Finland because I've been singing the Finns' praises since before the tournament began and originally picked them to win bronze.

Also, Colby Cosh over at Macleans found and translated a Russian web poll that came up after the game:

russiaham.gif

DAMMIT HAM :angry:

At this point in the tournament, every team has a goaltender capable of stealing a game. Beating Russia was awesome, but it does not equal an easy path to the gold medal game. The US and Ryan Miller already showed us that.

Halak has been great for Slovakia so far. I wonder if he can carry this momentum, win or lose tomorrow, with him when he rejoins the Canadiens.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I just spent ten minutes watching the French (Quebec) Olympic coverage (most of the main stuff is on CPAC for Canadians). Never ceases to amaze me how fluently billingual the hosts are...ask the English-speaking athlete a question, listen to the answer, translate the answer for the audience, and ask another question, all without losing the flow of conversation.

Although telling Ashleigh McIvor that she must not be good in the kitchen because she's not married is a little weird. :shifty:

Joannie Rochette has officially locked up being the story of these Olympic games. What a storybook finish to the ladies singles figure skating. Congrats to her for incredible courage in overcoming the odds in the darkest week of her life.

The IOC is apparently investigating the Canadian woman drinking beer on the ice after the game.

The players were idiotic. Go celebrate in the locker room or with your friends and family somewhere. Why come back onto the ice half an hour later, still in uniforms with beer cans in your hand. Poulin who's still underage was one of the players photographed. Anyone know why they came back onto the ice? Why the hell would you not celebrate elsewhere?

The IOC is apparently investigating the Canadian woman drinking beer on the ice after the game.

The players were idiotic. Go celebrate in the locker room or with your friends and family somewhere. Why come back onto the ice half an hour later, still in uniforms with beer cans in your hand. Poulin who's still underage was one of the players photographed. Anyone know why they came back onto the ice? Why the hell would you not celebrate elsewhere?

I'm with you. Way to be role models to little girls around the country, Team Canada.

Because they wanted to celebrate with the fans.

People make too much of this shit. Athletes should not be role models anyway. The fact that they are probably explains why the human race is so fucked up.

• Like 3

Realized earlier that the Canucks will get 3 mens hockey medals, since one of Ryan Kesler, Sami Salo, Pavol Demitra, or Roberto Luongo will manage to snag a gold, a silver, and/or a bronze. :D

Because they wanted to celebrate with the fans.

People make too much of this shit. Athletes should not be role models anyway. The fact that they are probably explains why the human race is so fucked up.

This was half an hour after post match ceremonies ended. I think the fans were gone by that time but the press was still there from what I gather. Twitter updates from reporters in the building last night said players came back on the ice still dressed in uniforms to take pictures with beer/wine/cigars in hand. B.C has laws against indoor smoking in public places too. No problem with them doing whatever they want once they left the ice but you have to show better judgement then that, especially when you are a hockey player in Canada and will be under the microscope.

The team got so much good press in the US yesterday too. MSNBC aired entire medal ceremony after game and NBC replayed the anthem as part of their prime time coverage. The players are to blame here for the bad press that will come their way during what should be one of the highlights of their lives.

The fact this is even an issue is fucking retarded. People drink all the time after winning sports events, even the Penguins had champagne on the ice after winning the Cup last year. Jon Montgomery was chugging a pitcher of beer while walking the street after his Gold.

This is clearly a double standard against the women. I'm glad they came out to celebrate on their own terms and its a shame some AP reporter had a stick so far up his ass he was offended by it.

• Like 2