UFC News and Discussion Thread

That scoring seemed really lopsided. Nick definitely won the first two rounds, was close in the third, lost of the fourth and probably won the fifth. Should have at least been a split decision.

What a loser. Good riddance.

I had the first for Condit, though it was really close. 2nd, 3rd and 4th were no doubters, Diaz won the 2nd, Condit won the 3rd and 4th. 5th was all Condit until the takedown, which could have been enough to swing it, but I think the fact that Condit defended well when Diaz had his back and got out of it, combined with controlling the rest of the round, gives it to Condit. I understand any score between 48-47 Diaz and 49-46 Condit. Happy with the result, especially with the reaction of Diaz. Glad to see him go, pathetic on his part.

Do the judges compare notes? I don't get the "there is no way that wasn't a split decision" sentiment. All three judges agreed that Condit won. Should one have looked at the other two scorecards and changed his to Diaz so he felt better about losing a close fight that he couldn't finish?

Also, do we need spoiler tags here? It doesn't hurt, but I don't know who's coming into the news thread after a PPV just ended expecting any news not about the PPV.

The subtitle of the thread clearly says ***SPOILERS*** It's been discussed many times before, no spoiler tags are necesarry.

EDIT: The scorecards

https://twitter.com/#!/MMAjunkieJohn/status/166038447264501761

Kamijo gave Condit R1, R3, R4 for 48-47. Morse Jarman and Peoples gave Condit R1, R2, R4, R5 for 49-46.

No it was more a sentiment that there is no way that three totally independent judges should have all given the fight to Condit. Obviously they did, but I felt the fight was way more even than the scores suggest. I'm not a massive fan of Diaz, I want to knock him out myself when he drops his hands and talks shit. At the same time I appreciate the fact he can generally do so without getting his teeth knocked out which is more than could be said for 99% of fighters. I also would have Condit in my top 5 best looking fighters list so I'm not biased. I could see the fight being judged either way. Since it was given to Condit by all judges at such a wide margin I can see why he's upset. His biggest mistake was that he didn't throw his pitter patter jabs. But he didn't need to as Condit did what Diaz told him to. When they read out the scores I was sure Diaz had won. He's the only fighter I could see winning that many rounds on all of the judges cards.

So yeah. I think it was a shit decision. Not the worst ever. But it wouldn't surprise me if Diaz isn't any worse off for this loss.

Guest mr. potato head

Yeah I thought people here were smart enough not to say things like "should have been a split decision". Why would any judge think "well I think X won the fight, but the other judges probably did too so I'll give it to Y"?

• Like 1

I had it 49-46 Condit, with Condit winning rounds 1 to 4, good scoring, great gameplan by Condit. I look forward to him defending the interim belt in July time prior to the unification fight against GSP in November time.

Same scorecard as Rich :wub:

Condit had a gameplan, circle away from Diaz's flurries and strike from different levels on the outside. He implemented perfectly and was a clear and deserved winner. Diaz didn't do enough to win that fight and even when he took the back, Condit was never in danger.

What exactly is Diaz's reasoning for retirng? I figure if he beats a top contender he'll get the winner of GSP-Condit sometime next year.

He has other things he likes doing and wants to do. He wants to try boxing, he has come out and said that if he could get paid for it he would do triathlons for a living, I never get the sense that MMA is the be-all and end-all for Nick Diaz like it is for some fighters

He couldn't hit the other guy.
(Y)

Diaz shows again what a sad guy he is. Taunting guys when you're behind on the scorecard is stupid. And not being able to lose and blame everyone except himself is cute for a five-year-old. For a guy the age of Diaz it's just pathetic. Someone should've told him that losing doesn't force you to act as a loser.

He'll be back in a couple of months btw...