UFC News and Discussion Thread

It's definitely a good main event for a Spike show. Also, Rich moves to Birmingham, then the UFC goes to Birmingham? What a Dick. <_<

Guest J-Money808

Leben vs Munoz will be a hell of a main event. Heavy handed stand and bang Leben vs heavy handed ground and pound Munoz. Nice.

Edit: also it's going to be the first non title 5 round main event fight. Doubt it'll go the distance tho.

Edited by J-Money808

Wowwwwwwwwwwww

That is going to be a main event? Really? Damn we don't half get shafted when it comes to Main Events.

That's a fine main event for what's pretty much a glorified UFN. Sucks for the UK audience that they'll only be getting a glorified UFN, but it is what it is. Last I heard, plans for any type of show in the UK this year had fallen apart, so at least you're getting something.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

It's definitely a good main event for a Spike show. Also, Rich moves to Birmingham, then the UFC goes to Birmingham? What a Dick. <_<

Sup, its because they love me :)

But yeah Munoz vs Leben and Pickett vs Barao? Great start to the card there IMO, I will be looking in to getting tickets with Gazz, anybody else going let me know nearer the time and we should sort out some MMA fun.

I am also looking into tickets for BAMMA in September <_<

Oh of course it'll be a good fight, it's an interesting test for both fighters. It's just in terms of star power we normally get shafted quite abit but if I remember correctly, I think I read somewhere it might be due to tax why we normally don't get the bigger name value guys cause their fight pay is alot more meaning the UFC has to pay more tax.

I'm still surprised the UFC hasn't tried to put a show on in Liverpool. We've been putting on a hell of a lot more boxing and mma cards in the past few years that have done really well a UFC event in Liverpool would make alot of money and the atmosphere would be great as well.

Depending on how much the tickets are i'll probably go yeh. How much are they normally?

Also, how much is a ticket from Kuala Lumpur to Birmingham, plus the UFC ticket?

Probably less than one to Vegas.

• Like 1

Demetrius Johnson gets his shot for the UFC Bantamweight title against Dominick Cruz on UFC Live 6.

And Urijah Faber'll be taking on Brian Bowles at 139.

Pretty quick turnaround for two guys who just went a full 5 rounds with very little stalling or lack of action.

I dunno, UFC 139 is 5 months away.

It's odd, UFC has seemingly had 3 events in what seems like a month, and now their next 6 are quite spread out.

Demetrius Johnson gets his shot for the UFC Bantamweight title against Dominick Cruz on UFC Live 6.

Pretty quick turnaround for two guys who just went a full 5 rounds with very little stalling or lack of action.

It's odd, UFC has seemingly had 3 events in what seems like a month, and now their next 6 are quite spread out.

Yeah, but UFC Live 6 is only 3 away from Cruz's last fight. That's mostly who I was referring to :P

Guest J-Money808

Yeah, but UFC Live 6 is only 3 away from Cruz's last fight. That's mostly who I was referring to :P

Dana don't have alot of faith in his little guys now if a title fight is gonna be shown on free TV. That or he doesn't think Cruz can draw which is retarded <_<

Guest mr. potato head

Dana don't have alot of faith in his little guys now if a title fight is gonna be shown on free TV. That or he doesn't think Cruz can draw which is retarded <_<

Cruz can't draw, at least not against Demetrious Johnson.

Of course, they could just give it a huge co-main event, which it why it also makes sense that it's less about Cruz not drawing and more about UFC trying to make NBC really happy as TV rights negotiations are underway.

Cruz/Faber only drew about 350k buys, iirc. Putting Cruz/Johnson on free TV kills a bunch of birds with one stone - gets Cruz in front of close to a million eyeballs, puts their most underexposed division in front of close to a million eyeballs, and shows that the UFC is willing to put title matches on free cards just in time for them to shop themselves to either a lucrative extension with Spike, or a lucrative deal elsewhere, like MPH said.

And what are the chances that Cruz/Johnson will be a boring fight? Pretty damn slim.

• Like 1

And what are the chances that Cruz/Johnson will be a boring fight? Pretty damn slim.

I'm not convinced that what is believed to be 'non-boring' fights are in reality the fights most fans want to see. 3 5-minute rounds slugfests can appear to be very nice fights but I believe there is a lot of people that just want to see KO's or spectacular submissions. Cruz-Johnson is likely to be a 5-round fight with quiet a lot of action but without any huge moments (guys getting knocked down or close to a submission). I have doubts that this kind of fight will attract a lot of new PPV-buyers or make them UFC fans. Lesnar knocking out Carwin however...

I'm not convinced that what is believed to be 'non-boring' fights are in reality the fights most fans want to see. 3 5-minute rounds slugfests can appear to be very nice fights but I believe there is a lot of people that just want to see KO's or spectacular submissions. Cruz-Johnson is likely to be a 5-round fight with quiet a lot of action but without any huge moments (guys getting knocked down or close to a submission). I have doubts that this kind of fight will attract a lot of new PPV-buyers or make them UFC fans. Lesnar knocking out Carwin however...

Are you kidding me? I thought Mysterio said everything perfectly, and you're idea of people would buy more PPVs if they saw Lesnar knock out Carwin is flawed. That kind of fan is a casual fan, the kind who will buy a PPV if its got a Lesnar or a GSP on the card. Not the kind of fan who will buy the majority of the cards, while there are people out there who are the more blood thirsty, casual fan who would go for the Lesnar/Carwin scenario you suggest every time, they are not so stupid as to not realise that every fight is not going to be like that. You need to present a card of longer, more technical fights that new fans who are willing to be more long term and get in to the sport of MMA rather than the spectacle of a KO.

The Torres-Johnson fight was such an exciting fight that took place on the ground, it was all over the place and kept up a fantastic pace, the Cruz-Faber fight was amazing, excitement start to finish over 25 minutes, Hominick-Aldo, Edgar-Maynard, Kampwho?-Sanchez, Njokuani-Barbosa. These are some of the fights of 2011 so far, all of them went the distance all of them have been exciting and memorable. The UFC is setting up the bantamweight division so that its exposure is such that fans willing to watch it for free on TV will then think "heck, these little guys really put on a show" and then buy the PPV. They are not going to expect Cruz-Johnson to go out there and then the winner go on to then sell a million PPVs the next time out, they are just being very clever and laying great groundwork in the UFC's least visible division, while giving back to the fans, which they do quite regularly anyway, in a huge way. The only thing I can do is applaud the UFC for having the balls to put this on TV rather than putting it in a Co-Main PPV spot as they could have, bravo.

Are you kidding me? I thought Mysterio said everything perfectly, and you're idea of people would buy more PPVs if they saw Lesnar knock out Carwin is flawed. That kind of fan is a casual fan, the kind who will buy a PPV if its got a Lesnar or a GSP on the card. Not the kind of fan who will buy the majority of the cards, while there are people out there who are the more blood thirsty, casual fan who would go for the Lesnar/Carwin scenario you suggest every time, they are not so stupid as to not realise that every fight is not going to be like that. You need to present a card of longer, more technical fights that new fans who are willing to be more long term and get in to the sport of MMA rather than the spectacle of a KO.

"The more blood thirsty" is a bit of a strange word choice as a KO doesn't involve much blood. A 5 rounds slugfest with blood dripping of their faces however (think Clay Guida or Leonard Garcia)... So I'm also not sure if a KO is 'more spectacle' then two guys making each other bleed for five rounds with elbows. With a lot of these 'wild' brawls or technical matches, it's clear after round 1 that this one is going to the judges. Neither guy has the power left to knock the other one out... With a lot of these fights (not all btw) rounds 3, 4 and 5 are just the same as rounds 1 and 2. I don't know why that would make the casual-fan-evolving-to-a-long-time-mma-fan suddenly have an interest spike in the sport. It's a bit... well, boring. Compare it to euhm...dance music. A huge beat is nice... for a short time. Then, it's getting boring. The way most (good) dance music works is that it first slows down (has a lesser beat) and then suddenly... adrenaline rush. Black Eyed Peas do it. The Prodigy do it. The comparison with the fights is this: 5 rounds of lesser-damaging kicks and punches gets boring. I (and I have doubts about most other people too) prefer some relative calm and then suddenly something spectacular happens. That's why you are glued to the screen. "Blink and you'll miss it". That kind of stuff...

Btw... unlike you I don't pretend to know for sure. I guess UFC will do some research into it and evaluate how Cruz-Johnson appeals to new fans. I just have some DOUBTS about it... I don't know if a 5-round technical fight will convice a lot of new fans. I hope it does however. All new MMA-fans are welcome :-)

"The more blood thirsty" is a bit of a strange word choice as a KO doesn't involve much blood. A 5 rounds slugfest with blood dripping of their faces however (think Clay Guida or Leonard Garcia)... So I'm also not sure if a KO is 'more spectacle' then two guys making each other bleed for five rounds with elbows. With a lot of these 'wild' brawls or technical matches, it's clear after round 1 that this one is going to the judges. Neither guy has the power left to knock the other one out... With a lot of these fights (not all btw) rounds 3, 4 and 5 are just the same as rounds 1 and 2. I don't know why that would make the casual-fan-evolving-to-a-long-time-mma-fan suddenly have an interest spike in the sport. It's a bit... well, boring. Compare it to euhm...dance music. A huge beat is nice... for a short time. Then, it's getting boring. The way most (good) dance music works is that it first slows down (has a lesser beat) and then suddenly... adrenaline rush. Black Eyed Peas do it. The Prodigy do it. The comparison with the fights is this: 5 rounds of lesser-damaging kicks and punches gets boring. I (and I have doubts about most other people too) prefer some relative calm and then suddenly something spectacular happens. That's why you are glued to the screen. "Blink and you'll miss it". That kind of stuff...

Btw... unlike you I don't pretend to know for sure. I guess UFC will do some research into it and evaluate how Cruz-Johnson appeals to new fans. I just have some DOUBTS about it... I don't know if a 5-round technical fight will convice a lot of new fans. I hope it does however. All new MMA-fans are welcome :-)

I'll take a nonstop five/three round war all day long over a calm and sudden 'adrenaline' knockout. Rich pretty much made the good points, so there's no need to really even going any further into it, other than that I don't really agree with anything you've just said. The funny thing is, you go on to say that you don't pretend to know for sure, despite the fact that above in your post you say 'it's clear after round 1 that it's going to the judges' as if you know for sure :/

The funny thing is, you go on to say that you don't pretend to know for sure, despite the fact that above in your post you say 'it's clear after round 1 that it's going to the judges' as if you know for sure

Yeah... sure. You know as well as I do that my "know not for sure" was focused towards what would attract viewers, not towards the 'Its clear after round 1 that its going to the judges'.

But I agree with you on one thing. No real need to go any further on this one. You believe in nonstop 5-round wars, I believe more in KO's/subs. Fortunately we both get our wishes sometimes :-)