UFC News and Discussion Thread

Well, that's Hardy done.

Picturebook finish to Lytle's career though.

Ben Henderson deserves a title shot for that showing.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24817/source-renowned-mma-trainer-shawn-tompkins-dead-at-37.mma

A fighter close to Shawn Tompkins says the renowned trainer passed away this morning.

Veteran lightweight John Gunderson today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Tompkins "didn't wake up," but he was still unclear on the details surrounding his passing.

Longtime friend and confidant Chris Horodecki said the trainer was in Canada and had spoken to him yesterday but was unaware of the bad news when contacted today.

Additional sources ultimately confirmed the trainer's death with MMAjunkie.com, though details weren't immediately available.

Tompkins first emerged on the national MMA scene as a coach in the now-defunct International Fight League. He was first an assistant coach for the Los Angeles Anacondas and was later promoted to head coach after MMA legend Bas Rutten stepped down from the role to assume a commentator position. He later split with the company.

Tompkins then migrated to Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas and served as a coach there before splitting with the gym and joining the TapouT Training Facility.

The coach, who also competed professionally for a handful of fights a decade ago, nurtured the careers of several notable fighters in his career, including Gunderson, Horodecki, Sam Stout and Mark Hominick. Tompkins, who frequently appeared on MMAjunkie.com Radio, was 37 years old.

Shame about Tompkins, hell of a striking coach, one of the best really.

Great night for the WEC guys, Cerrone and Ben were fantastic, especially Ben. I'd rather Ben in a title shot than Guida at this point.

Chris Lytle going out the way he did was awesome, though its a shame that it'll be the last time we see him.

That was a really good main card at least. I missed all of the Facebook fights, but I heard those were pretty good as well. Henderson was totally dominate, Lytle/Hardy was a good slugfest and had a great ending, and Cerrone won big, which made my wife very happy. Overall it was one of those free cards that I wouldn't have felt ripped off if I had paid money.

Huge news time: UFC has signed a deal with FOX. It's a 7/8 year deal at $90million a year, UFC will broadcast 4 shows a year on FOX, and they will move their SpikeTV/Versus cards to FX.

Woah woah, hold your horses there son. Its not a done deal yet, Dana himself has said that it is not finalised, they have come close to signing other tv deals before and then Zuffa's insistence on maintaining the high levels of control over the product has killed them dead. Until this is official (not saying it wont happen, just I don't want to count the chickens before they have hatched) I am going to state I am hopeful this will go through because the exposure of it will be immense. Plus those Fox cards would be of a very high quality..

Oh and EoE apparently a lot of older UFC content will be shown on Fuel in the deal, so maybe it will mean more MMA for the everyday fan who wants to watch all the old cards/clipshows/etc...

Huge news time: UFC has signed a deal with FOX. It's a 7/8 year deal at $90million a year, UFC will broadcast 4 shows a year on FOX, and they will move their SpikeTV/Versus cards to FX.

Woah woah, hold your horses there son. Its not a done deal yet, Dana himself has said that it is not finalised, they have come close to signing other tv deals before and then Zuffa's insistence on maintaining the high levels of control over the product has killed them dead. Until this is official (not saying it wont happen, just I don't want to count the chickens before they have hatched) I am going to state I am hopeful this will go through because the exposure of it will be immense. Plus those Fox cards would be of a very high quality..

Oh and EoE apparently a lot of older UFC content will be shown on Fuel in the deal, so maybe it will mean more MMA for the everyday fan who wants to watch all the old cards/clipshows/etc...

The $90 mil a year already includes a pay cut so that the UFC can retain creative control over the product, and the deal is all but official:

[update 2:20 p.m. ET] An anonymous Fox source confirms the deal to Heavy.com.

[update 3:43 p.m. ET] John Ourand, author of the SBD article, tweets, "Fox will have a 1pm press conference Thurs with Hill, Freer, Shanks, Landgraf for 'one of the biggest announcements in Fox Sports history.'"

But fair enough. I remember when the HBO deal was all but official, too.

The press conference is on now. Rogan looked nervous as hell there (and they screwed up calling GSP Frankie Edgar and Frankie Edgar was called GSP).

They will air 4 cards a year on FOX on Saturdays. And 6 cards and 2 seasons of Ultimate Fighter on FX a year. These will all apparently run on Friday nights.

Ultimate Fighter will be live on FX, according to Dana White. They explained this further. They will film the show the week of that fight and edit to air on Fridays. The fight will air live.

First card on Fox will be November 12th.

Prelims and the shows like Unleashed will be airing on Fuel.

They will also do the pre/post shows like they did for Versus. I think they said these will also air on Fuel.

Gladiator opening is not going to be used anymore. Said they will be changing the entire look of the opening, so that means a new theme song as well.