UFC News and Discussion Thread

Silva needs to face Sonnen again before a permanent move to 205.

GSP shouldn't even be in consideration right now. He's got Nick Diaz next, and anyone who thinks that's a wash is fucking crazy.

That's a wash.

Hating Silva is like hating Jordan. Fun to do whilst he's fighting but in 15 years time nobody will argue he isn't the greatest.

So, what's everyones bets on the main event for the 2 match FOX card? I've heard everything from Silva/Hendo to Cain/JDS to Franklin/Ortiz, all of them seemingly with a Guida/Bendo semi-main.

The Cain/JDS one is the one that seems the most far fetched, with their main event PPV match being a week after this card, but stranger things have happened. Has it even been officially announced to be headlining 139? If not, it'd make a good introduction to UFC to the mainstream, it's really too bad Lesnar isn't around though. That's who everyone wants to see still, right?

I'm hoping for Silva/Hendo, personally. The more free Silva matches I can see, the better.

Silva needs to face Sonnen again before a permanent move to 205.

GSP shouldn't even be in consideration right now. He's got Nick Diaz next, and anyone who thinks that's a wash is fucking crazy.

That's a wash.

Hating Silva is like hating Jordan. Fun to do whilst he's fighting but in 15 years time nobody will argue he isn't the greatest.

There's no argument now, the complaint is the same as the one for Jordan where there's nobody close and so it is rather unexciting to see him on top. Nobody will argue Bird/Magic wasn't the greatest era for the NBA, but despite that Jordan is still the best who ever played.

• Like 1

Guest mr. potato head

So, what's everyones bets on the main event for the 2 match FOX card? I've heard everything from Silva/Hendo to Cain/JDS to Franklin/Ortiz, all of them seemingly with a Guida/Bendo semi-main.

The Cain/JDS one is the one that seems the most far fetched, with their main event PPV match being a week after this card, but stranger things have happened. Has it even been officially announced to be headlining 139? If not, it'd make a good introduction to UFC to the mainstream, it's really too bad Lesnar isn't around though. That's who everyone wants to see still, right?

I'm hoping for Silva/Hendo, personally. The more free Silva matches I can see, the better.

I'm thinking Penn/Condit and Guida/Bendo, both with title shots on the line. Both almost assured of being entertaining, which is key.

No way they'll move Cain/JDS up, but I suppose Faber/Bowles is a possibility as well. Urijah's got that charisma that viewers would really get behind him with FOX-level exposure. Actually now that I think about it this might be even more likely than Penn/Condit unless FOX demands more name value.

Well... add Rua-Henderson to the list of rumors. Dunno if this would be for the FOX-card though.

Anderson Silva... I don't really like the guy. I can't stand arrogant guys like him (or Diaz). The 'putting your hands down so your opponent gets a free shot' is soooo cocky. I hope Diaz does it against GSP and gets knocked out as a result :-D. But the Spider pulls it off... and does it brilliantly. Greatest fighter ever? I'd still say GSP because he's more consistent. But most intriguing fighter ever? Definitely Anderson Silva. He's a legend already. I'm wondering what to do as his opponent when Silva puts his hands down and dares you to take a shot. Would a front-kick or head-kick work? Do something unexpected? A flying knee perhaps?

I believe it's time for Silva-GSP or Silva-Jones now, rather then Henderson or Sonnen.

• Like 1

Well... add Rua-Henderson to the list of rumors. Dunno if this would be for the FOX-card though.

Anderson Silva... I don't really like the guy. I can't stand arrogant guys like him (or Diaz). The 'putting your hands down so your opponent gets a free shot' is soooo cocky. I hope Diaz does it against GSP and gets knocked out as a result :-D. But the Spider pulls it off... and does it brilliantly. Greatest fighter ever? I'd still say GSP because he's more consistent. But most intriguing fighter ever? Definitely Anderson Silva. He's a legend already. I'm wondering what to do as his opponent when Silva puts his hands down and dares you to take a shot. Would a front-kick or head-kick work? Do something unexpected? A flying knee perhaps?

I believe it's time for Silva-GSP or Silva-Jones now, rather then Henderson or Sonnen.

More consistent? So Silva winning 14 straight fights in a row and never being defeated in the UFC isn't classed as consistent?

• Like 3

I would say Anderson Silva is the best in the world and the best ever, but I don't like him. The reason for not liking him is he seems to do everything in his power to make a fight boring. His fight with Maia sums him up completely, he opts out of fighting in order to mock and tease his opponent into making a move that he can dodge, rinse and repeat until he decides that he should end it. I don't find that entertaining. The Sonnen fight was different because Chael went for broke and made it exciting, Silva had nothing to do with how entertaining that fight was. Problem is, Silva has no reason to fight any other way.

That is why I'd rather see Jones/Silva than GSP/Silva. I think GSP will get caught in the Silva trap, while I imagine Jones would, like Sonnen, throw caution to the ring and make the fight exciting.