UFC News and Discussion Thread

I get it! Because hating on MPH is COOL! Honestly, I'm starting to think these are all just Be's double accounts.

Be

Benkid

Beefus of Canada

But I actually like MPH.

You cunt.

• Like 4

Not sure how Fox is going to talk all these people who have no idea what UFC is into giving it a shot, only to ruin them forever with a single dull fight. Surely that fight won't be all that's on the show and there'll be plenty of clips and hype to clue these people as to what this stuff actually is.

If your argument is that it's all about star power, I still don't think it matter. Cain being dull is only going to educate viewers that Cain is dull, not the sport as a whole. Granted, that's not ideal, but it's hardly as damning as all that.

Guest mr. potato head

Not sure how Fox is going to talk all these people who have no idea what UFC is into giving it a shot, only to ruin them forever with a single dull fight. Surely that fight won't be all that's on the show and there'll be plenty of clips and hype to clue these people as to what this stuff actually is.

If your argument is that it's all about star power, I still don't think it matter. Cain being dull is only going to educate viewers that Cain is dull, not the sport as a whole. Granted, that's not ideal, but it's hardly as damning as all that.

There are going to be a lot of people watching this show who have never or barely watched any MMA before.

The idea is to get them interested in the sport.

The best way to do that is to put on the most exciting fight possible so those people think "wow, this sport is exciting!". Put on a dull fight, especially for a championship, and these people won't be forgiving and think "this sport is exciting even though the only fight I've seen was dull!", they'll think "this sport is dull!".

There are going to be a lot of people watching this show who have never or barely watched any MMA before.

The best way to do that is to put on the most exciting fight possible so those people think "wow, this sport is exciting!". Put on a dull fight, especially for a championship, and these people won't be forgiving and think "this sport is exciting even though the only fight I've seen was dull!", they'll think "this sport is dull!".

To be honest putting on 2 no name fighters without a title fight versus two no name fighters with the tag line "FOR THE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP" creates automatic interest in the latter. Just like people will tune in for the Superbowl and not watch any other NFL, people are more likely to tune in for a world title fight rather than a non-title fight. More eyes, more potential fans, more potential money. Simple.

• Like 1

Guest mr. potato head

But I'm not comparing JDS/Cain to JDS/Cain FOR THE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP, so why's that your argument?

Titles mean a very little bit, but not nearly as much as name fighters.

Guest mr. potato head

To us MMA fans, sure, title fights mean nothing, but THEY ARE NOT TARGETTING US.

What? You've got that backwards. Title fights mean far MORE to MMA fans.

Ask a non-fan to name a UFC heavyweight fighter.

Ask a non-fan to name the UFC heavyweight champion.

Far more will be able to answer the first, and will answer it with a name other than Cain Velasquez. Because big names mean far more than titles, ESPECIALLY to non-fans.

You'd HAVE to be a fan to know who the various champions are.

Sure, non mma-fans might be able to say "Oh yeah, I know Brock Lesnar, but I don't know if he's any good." And there's no guarantee he'll have a good fight too, so they're gonna rely on the HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE FIGHT part, and I guess we'll see in November if it worked.

"Star power" doesn't really apply. The majority of the new audience will have had very little exposure to MMA so will know just as little about BJ Penn as they do Korean Zombie.

If an exciting fight is required, then sorry but no fight is guaranteed to be exciting, so they can either throw two guys together and hope they have a good fight or they can put on a title fight between the number one and two heavyweight and explain that it is an important fight.

UFC wants to be taken seriously as a sport, and that means accepting that they do have boring fights from time to time. All sports have the same problem. Manchester United vs. Barcelona isn't always going to be a good match, in fact they can have a very boring match, because two talents can cancel each other out. Why pretend like UFC doesn't have this problem? If the potential new audience is put off by a boring fight on Fox, they won't stick around when they get a boring fight on the next card either.

To us MMA fans, sure, title fights mean nothing, but THEY ARE NOT TARGETTING US.

What? You've got that backwards. Title fights mean far MORE to MMA fans.

Ask a non-fan to name a UFC heavyweight fighter.

Ask a non-fan to name the UFC heavyweight champion.

Far more will be able to answer the first, and will answer it with a name other than Cain Velasquez. Because big names mean far more than titles, ESPECIALLY to non-fans.

You'd HAVE to be a fan to know who the various champions are.

I'm sorry Biggz, I forgot we couldn't have a discussion here and that your opinion was gospel...

:shifty:

• Like 5

That's exactly what I just said.

They are courting an audience that doesn't watch MMA, not one that doesn't know what it is.

By the time people have seen the commercials, those who can be enticed will be enticed. Those who can't won't and they're not going to watch anyway.

It's two dudes in a cage fighting. If somebody can't see the potential for excitement in that, it's because there's none to behold for them.

http://twitter.com/#...828695257751553

http://twitter.com/#...829916458721281

Looks like Koscheck is stepping in to fight Hughes.

Looks like Josh Koscheck is gonna Knock Out Matt Hughes in the 1st Round and Retire him.

You know I was coming in here to say that earlier, but didn;t want to be that guy. That said, Kos is going to fucking murder Hughes in T-Minus 18 days.. after the beating he took from GSP, I expect Kos to attempt to match or beat BJ's what was it, 21 seconds? He's got the hands for it and if he does, he's got something to hold over BJ when Joe Silva stops scratching his ass and books it.

I don't really like Kos because you know, he's got this face that you just want to punch until it resembles the dude from 3guys1hammer but I enjoy seeing Hughes flat on his back staring at the lights.