UFC News and Discussion Thread

Fighters like Gomi, Wanderlei, Big Nog, Akiyama at 170 etc and then have a few local fighters like you did from the Brazil show and you've got yourselves a great card :)

Overeem vs. Lesnar will collide on December 30th.

The UFC is bringing Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem into the Octagon, and welcoming him with a bout against the promotion's biggest star, Brock Lesnar.

UFC President Dana White confirmed on Twitter that Overeem vs. Lesnar will take place on December 30 in Las Vegas.

The fight will be a huge pay-per-view event, maybe the UFC's most profitable fight of 2011. Lesnar is the single biggest pay-per-view draw in MMA, while Overeem has developed a monstrous reputation over the last couple of years, defending his Strikeforce heavyweight title while also winning the most prestigious title in kickboxing, the K-1 World Grand Prix.

Shortly after signing his UFC contract, Overeem told the Los Angeles Times that he's excited about the challenge of meeting Lesnar in the cage.

"Brock is a big name, a dangerous guy, and this is a dream matchup," Overeem said. "Brock's a big guy, an exciting wrestler with his takedowns. I want to see this fight myself. Overall, I'm a different fighter. A striker, athletic, big. These are going to be two big trucks going at it on a collision course."

Overeem's path to the UFC has been a strange one: When the UFC purchased Strikeforce, it seemed like only a matter of time before Overeem would step into the Octagon. But a contract dispute between UFC/Strikeforce parent company Zuffa and Overeem's management at Golden Glory led to Overeem being released by the company. Those issues, however, have obviously been resolved, and Overeem is now set to fight in the world's biggest MMA promotion for the first time.

Lesnar, meanwhile, has been out of action for nearly a year while recovering from diverticulitis. White recently said that Lesnar is 100 percent healthy, and Lesnar is apparently ready to start a training camp to meet Overeem.

The fight itself is a fascinating contrast of styles. Overeem may be the best striker in the heavyweight division, and Lesnar has struggled with his striking defense in his last couple of fights. But Overeem has never faced a wrestler nearly as good as Lesnar, and the muscular Overeem, who has grown accustomed to overpowering his opponents, also hasn't faced anyone as strong as Lesnar.

Lesnar vs. Overeem should be a sensational fight and an enormous pay-per-view draw. Combining that fight with heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez taking on Junior dos Santos on Fox in November, the UFC is positioning itself for some huge heavyweight attractions ahead.

Source: MMAFighting.com

I'm stoked. I cannot wait.

Wow...very excited for Lesnar-Overeem! And as Davidmarrio says, also excited for whatever comes next for UFC's heavyweight division. The former 'worst' division of the UFC is now their most exciting: Overeem, Lesnar, Velasquez, Dos Santos, Carwin, Mir, Big Nog, ... that's some mean dudes, people! (H)

Must suck though for Big Foot Silva... allthough the winner of the Heavyweight GP (and possibly the runner-up) will be UFC-bound by 2012 as well.

Also booked (as was rumoured some time allready): Ben Henderson vs Clay Guida on "UFC on Fox 1" (makes me think that this event needs a better name, but ok). The fight won't be guaranteed for the Fox-broadcast but if Dos Santos & Velasquez make it quick, the lightweights will get the air-time :-)

Edited by bolleje

I'm not hyped for Lesnar vs. Overeem. Lesnar showed in his last two fights he's without hope if he gets hit. He doesn't know how to actively defend and just sort of backs up and defends until it stops. Lesnar really needed a tuning fight before they even thought about this fight. That and to either join an established camp or bring better guys into his. I can't see how Lesnar has a chance against Overeem even if he wasn't coming off an injury and lay off.

I don't get how any MMA fan can still say "that won't be an exciting fight" based on what it looks like on paper. There have been plenty of fights (and entire cards) which look like the drizzling shits which have been incredible. There have also been fights that looked amazing on paper and have been terrible once they occur. There is no such thing as 5* booking in MMA. My view is you just have to make fights that make sense and hope they deliver. As such I really don't get MPH's opinion that Cain and Junior will be boring. Both fighters have shown they can have exciting fights. It will all come down to game plan and circumstance. Or they could book Kimbo to fight Alexander again because that was an epic showdown.

My thought is that the title is more important than names for a first main stream show. It doesn't matter if casuals don't know the names of every champion, what they will get is that they are going to see the best guy in the heavyweight division fight. That's likely more enticing than a name that triggers half a memory at the back of your mind but you can't remember if they are meant to be good or not. This isn't boxing with 480 different titles in each weight-class. My guess is people will quickly grasp the concept that UFC has UFC championships and the top fighter holds these titles. Besides Silva and Jones there may not be a champion more likely to put on a great fight (the lighter guys are never going to be used in this capacity as sad as that is). Silva is sometimes unpredictable as far as excitement goes. Jones barrelling through a guy may make it look like you lined up a can or that your roster is totally uneven and lacks depth

I don't think people weren't arguing with MPH because what he said made sense. I think people weren't arguing because it was so silly that it wasn't necessary.

Guest mr. potato head

I do agree with Quom that Lesnar/Overeem is really not as cool as it first sounds. It's a great fight for the Sherdog crowd and it'll do well on PPV because it's Lesnar, but it's reminding me of the 205 division a couple years ago where there were the guys like Rampage, Griffin, Shogun, Liddell, Franklin who nobody really thought were anywhere near the top of the division but who would constantly be booked against each other so one or two of them could retain some mystique and get title shots.

Seriously, first complaints over the number one and number two heavyweights in MMA going against each other ON A FREE SHOW and now down talking Overeem/Lesnar? Seriously? Absolutely fucking mental.

Pumped for those fights would be an understatement, they're two absolute massive fights. Also gutted to hear Sanchez is out of his fight with Hughes, but Koscheck stepping up is great, because it means I can once again root for him to get his face smashed in by Hughes, as unlikely as that is.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect