UFC News and Discussion Thread

Do you lot not realise Silva's showboating, the dropping of his hands etc. it's all to get inside the head of his opponent, get them angry, make them overcommit, take them off their gameplan?

And it works.

• Like 2

I can recognise that he's a good fighter, but I don't have to enjoy him being an utter cocksucker. The Maia fight was ridiculous, and I guess it's tainted my view of him since. Just so bloody frustrating to watch. Although I'll really enjoy it the one time he does drop his gloves and someone manages to punch straight through his skull.

• Like 1

Do you lot not realise Silva's showboating, the dropping of his hands etc. it's all to get inside the head of his opponent, get them angry, make them overcommit, take them off their gameplan?

And it works.

Exactly. Look at Roy Jones Jr back in the day. Anderson has the ability to do that and then tool his opponent. I look at Anderson Silva as MMAS Muhammed Ali he really is the best fighter in MMA and has been for quite sometime. He moved up to 205 and demolished Forrest and James Irvin, he's been unbeaten in the UFC for a reason.

I think he should fight the winner of Sonnen/Stann then either a superfight with GSP or have some more fights at 205. Because looking at Middleweight, There isn't much challengers the only people who looking at the matches that have been made that could fight Anderson next is the winner of Stann/Sonnen, Bisping if he beats Miller and then win a contenders fight and perhaps Munoz. Vitor won't be near a title shot for awhile cause of the way he got beat.

Guest mr. potato head

Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz are awesome and I can't wait for Diaz to be a huge huge ass towards GSP. I don't even care if he loses, I just want to see Nick taunt GSP relentlessly.

Already happened. :)

st-pierre_koscheck_post_2.jpg

Gotta be Randy.

You are joking, right?

Why has Silva got to go out of his weight class to prove he's the best ever? I don't have any interest in Silva vs GSP as Silva won't drop to 170 and GSP bulking up to 185 will effect his speed and agility. Silva vs Jones is the UFC's real inter-division dream fight and I doubt you'll see that happen as by the time Jones has cleared out the LHW division, Silva will be retired and I can't see Silva giving up his belt to move up permanently.

That being said, I don't think there is anyone in the LHW that Silva couldn't conceivably beat. He'd make mincemeat out of everyone up to Rampage, Evans and Jones and there's a good chance he could sub all three of them when they use their wrestling to take him down.

That being said, I don't think there is anyone in the LHW that Silva couldn't conceivably beat. He'd make mincemeat out of everyone up to Rampage, Evans and Jones and there's a good chance he could sub all three of them when they use their wrestling to take him down.

Kind of agree, allthough I wouldn't put money on either Jones or Silva in a fight between those two. I also wonder if nobody would be able to outwrestle Silva. We saw him in trouble against Sonnen (due to the wrestling) so bigger wrestlers could give him something to worry about (neither Griffin nor Irvin, the two 205's he's beaten are world-class wrestlers... Evans and Rampage are something else all-together).

What big names aren't booked in any fights coming up? I know Overeem is in talks like with the UFC but I don't think it'll be him especially when he didn't want to fight in November for Strikeforce.

Ah my bad got the months mixed up...still, don't think it'd be Overeem though but if it was him in a fight against someone like Mir or Carwin I wouldn't mind.

Makes sense. You've got the big headline fight for the title on the line that might not in otherwords do great in terms of PPV buys.

I want them to have Henderson/Guida as co-main event

Guest mr. potato head

Makes no sense at all.

If you're UFC, your first show on FOX needs to accomplish two things. Ideally, you'd be able to rope people in with names they've heard of, and keep them excited for the next show by delivering an entertaining fight.

Velasquez might be the HW champ, but he's well down on the list of "names casual fans have heard of", below Penn, Hughes, GSP, Koscheck, Silva, Rampage, Evans, Jones, Griffin, Shogun, Mir, Lesnar, Ortiz, and probably a few guys I'm forgetting. Dos Santos is even worse.

And an entertaining fight? Velasquez's entire style is based on getting a guy down and staying on top of him - and if that's been accomplished, then going for the ground and pound. Dos Santos is a good boxer, but look at the Roy Nelson fight to see what he does when he can't knock the guy out right away.

If this fight goes longer than five minutes, it's going to be dull.

Horrible horrible decision by UFC. I'm almost assuming FOX made the call and UFC doesn't want to admit it for business reasons.

But most of the big name fighters are already booked.

By putting on Velasquez/Dos Santos as your first network show you are going to not only get the hardcore MMA fans who would watch it cause they'll know this is a title fight between the number 1 and 2 fighter at Heavyweight, it's for a title and it's FREE

In terms of casual fans, you'll get some interest in the fight, its UFC's first show on network TV so you need a big fight on the card and you have the number 1 and 2 heavyweight fighting in the world. Casual fans will tune in cause its free on network tv and it'll end up being heavily advertised during the NFL and World Series on Fox. People might even take a glimpse because of curiosity thats what happened with me when I first got into MMA and I haven't looked back since.

This is the chance for the UFC and MMA to gain more mainstream recognition and this is a good move for them putting this fight as the first UFC on FOX, while you say they haven't got stars on the show....this is the chance to create two new stars if you think about it. And the Heavyweight division normally gets the interest of casual fans in any combat sport. They are wise to put this fight on as the potential this match can do for the future in terms of not only making Velasquez and Dos Santos bigger names but could lead to more mainstream recognition.

Certainly not a horrible call imo

Edited by davidmarrio