UFC News and Discussion Thread

That's an interesting match-up for Sonnen. Have to pick Machida for that one, as I don't really see Sonnen solving Machida's striking, and from what I recall, isn't Machida pretty difficult to take down and KEEP down?

They said that about Anderson Silva and if that had only been three rounds like this fight...

I thought the thing about Silva was that he COULD be taken down though. Not saying he loses when on the ground, but I thought that was one of his weaker areas, was the takedown defense. Maybe I'm wrong. And as far as the striking, Sonnen didn't have to try to solve Silvas striking, as he didn't leave it on the feet enough to make that an issue.

I love Sonnen's first soundbite.

'Machida took one of Randy's teeth, so I'm going to take three of his'.

You are making it sound like Machida is this invulnerable machine who can never be taken down. Pretty sure Sonnen is going give him a run for his money.

Not at all. I think it'll be a good fight, I just don't see Sonnen, after a layoff like he'll have had, and with everything else going on around him (though god knows that probably won't have TOO much effect on him given his normal mental state), taking this one. It's entirely possible he does, and that he takes Machida down over and over. Just was saying that Machida has pretty good takedown defense and I think will work to keep it standing, which is to his advantage. Not discounting either possibility though.

Guest mr. potato head

If Tito Ortiz and a much bigger Rashad Evans couldn't take Machida down, then a punching-above-his-weight-class Chael Sonnen won't be able to. At least not nearly as often as he did to Silva.

I for one would love to see Machida vs Griffin at some point. Especially a five-rounder.

Brian Stann Beats Chael Sonnen Via Submission in Round 2.

Stann by submission is the most unlikely outcome in my eyes.

Greg Jackson, Brian Stann and everyone with a brain knows that Chael Sonnen is going to take this Fight to the Ground and everyone knows he has a huge gap in his game in his BJJ Defense, if Stann isn't practicing his Triangle Chokes for the next 3 Months ill be shocked.

Guest mr. potato head

CagePotato says that Koscheck is in negotiations to move up to 185 and fight Chris Leben.

It couldn't be any worse than their first fight I guess :shifty:

Fuck Koscheck. I can't stand him. Leben manages to make a niche for himself so Mr mediocrity wants to use his heat. It's not even because of the show I dislike him. I dislike him because he's so cocky with so little.