UFC News and Discussion Thread

Guest mr. potato head

Actually going farther back, this is kind of ridiculous. UFC 103 (Franklin/Belfort) had three first round finishes in the five main-card matches. So did UFC 96 (Rampage/Jardine), UFC 95 (Sanchez/Stevenson) and UFC 92 (Griffin/Evans). UFC 91 (Couture/Lesnar) had FOUR, plus the main event which was stopped in the second.

No wonder it seems UFC's lost a lot of its excitement from the era circa 2009 - it actually has.

Not enough people hitting dudes with their groins.

• Like 1

Kinda, but you didn't believe me when I blamed it all on Greg Jackson :shifty:

Well, 1 out of the 3 finishes last night was a Jackson fighter. :shifty:

That might have been the show of the year, every fight was good. Ortiz just got himself a main event in the fall (rematch against Machida? Or how about Rampage?), Cruz made a name for himself and Bantamweights with a great main event.

Give Tito the winner of Franklin/Nogueira.

Guest mr. potato head

I have no interest in seeing Ortiz/Griffin III, and Rua would be a bad matchup for him. Ortiz/Rampage sounds like a really good idea actually.

So, after Dana White stated a few months ago that he would not commission shop for Chael Sonnen like Strikeforce did for Josh Barnett, it looks like they changed their minds on that idea. Chael Sonnen's next fight looks to be in Houston, Texas at UFC 136 and it'll be a light heavyweight bout against Lyoto Machida.

That card will also have Jose Aldo defending the featherweight title against Kenny Florian.

That's an interesting match-up for Sonnen. Have to pick Machida for that one, as I don't really see Sonnen solving Machida's striking, and from what I recall, isn't Machida pretty difficult to take down and KEEP down? I might be wrong, but I think Sonnen might go down on this one. At least the trash talk should be amusing.

And really, I like Kenny Florian ok as a fighter, but isn't this just setting him up for people to say he choked again in a big fight if he loses?

I hate Florian. I have no idea how he is always around the top of the card.

He keeps beating guys who are on their way to the top of the card, before being given a bigger fight and choking. You're not going to drop him to the prelims just because he can't crack the top of the rankings. The guy wins big fights. He just never wins the biggest ones.