UFC News and Discussion Thread

I guess some people think they see something of the real personality of celebrities in what they do, which is why we tend to have favourites. If Sonnen treats media interaction as a way of creating a bit more hype and excitement around his fights, then that's fine. It's not a crime, it's just that some people will then decide they don't like him as a result (which is their right.) Some people like Dana White and some don't, some people like Sonnen and some don't. My opinion is that I'd prefer to never hear their posturing and ego, leaving fights to be determined by what's going to be most interesting, rather than who comes up with the best soundbites.

• Like 1

Guest mr. potato head

Personally I feel like his shenanigans have crossed the line from being harmless fun with the media to being a cynical attempt at self-promotion. He's saying and doing anything he can to get himself the best deal. I genuinely like Koscheck a lot more than him :wacko:

Show me someone who says they wouldn't do the same and I'll show you a liar.

Most of the UFC roster? It's not hard to do what Sonnen's doing, but the fact nobody else is really even trying would suggest that plenty of people don't like it.

• Like 1

Pff... apparently Rogan & Goldberg think I'm not a fighting fan: I don't like Leonard Garcia. I think he's an idiot who rushes in with no effort to actually win the fight... He's doing some kind of sports entertainment where he and his opponent take undefended shots at each other... it's ridiculous. He lets his hands down not to trick the opponent into attacking but just to show the fans he can take a punch. After ten fights... we got the message, Leonard. Now can you please try to win your fight?

Other then that, yet another slightly disappointing fight for my favorite fighter Demian Maia. Allthough he won, he needs to win more convincing if he wants another title shot...

Sonnen was brilliant. I liked his post-match challenge of A. Silva. Even before the interview I was thinking that his performance (and the very close fight against Silva) deserved another shot at the title. If offcourse he's clean. Which I still don't trust but ok... I guess innocent until proven is still valid. I root for Barnett too, so. The added stipulations make it an even bigger fight. Retiring from the UFC still leaves him some options to do big-money fights in Japan or elsewhere (he could fight Marquardt in BAMMA for example). And Silva also would have options if he left as he could go to light heavyweight. And if he'd lose... who would want to see him stay at middleweight anyway? He's defeated about everyone anyway...

Personally I feel like his shenanigans have crossed the line from being harmless fun with the media to being a cynical attempt at self-promotion. He's saying and doing anything he can to get himself the best deal. I genuinely like Koscheck a lot more than him :wacko:

Show me someone who says they wouldn't do the same and I'll show you a liar.

Most of the UFC roster? It's not hard to do what Sonnen's doing, but the fact nobody else is really even trying would suggest that plenty of people don't like it.

Maybe they should.

Look at Jason Miller, walks into the UFC, straight into a coaching position on TUF, purely because he is charismatic and therefore easily marketable. You can even extend it to in ring 'charisma', look at Leonard Garcia and Nam Phan, neither of those guys is even middle of the pack in their division but they got onto PPV because they both swing for the fences, I don't necessarily like it, to call Garcia a 'Mixed Martial Artist' is an insult to the craft but it's what the majority of the public want to see.

Sonnen's 'Loser leaves town' stipulation makes sense also in the fact that if he was to lose to Silva again, he will never get another title shot whilst Silva is champion and Sonnen doesn't strike me as the type of guy who's going to fight for the sake of it and I doubt he needs the money either, so he would probably retire if he lost anyway, this just 'ups the stakes', which means more PPV buys and more money in his bank account. Really, the guy is a master of manipulation, you can see why he's in politics.

Just because he says it doesn't mean Dana White will listen to it. Maybe he gets the rematch and wins, but then White and Silva decide between them that he deserves the rubber match, Sonnen can do nothing about it. I'm not taking the added stipulation seriously, it was a way to stir up interest and get under Silva's skin, most likely by the time the rematch rolls around it'd have been forgotten about.

I like what Chael Sonnen is doing, it's out of the norm and really hypes up the fight. It's one of the few fights right now that has the chance to do huge numbers. While UFC has a depth of great talent they've either already fought, are at different levels of their division's rankings, or are injured. So this fight gives UFC and the fighters a huge payday, and Sonnen knows going in and hyping it up with everything he's got will up the stakes even more and make both fighters even richer. In a combat sport, where one injury can change everything, you are a fool for not wanting to milk every single penny you can out of your moment in the sun.

UFC136MainEventScoreCard.jpg

How the fuck was R1 a 10-9? I guess Frankie saved us from another bullshit judging call if they'd split the last two rounds (Edgar would have won a majority decision 48-47 48-47 47-47).

They need an overhaul. You would think the sport was established enough that they could get Nevada and the other commissions to allow them to train refs and judges who actually understood every aspect of the sport. If I have to hear Rogan moaning about a fast stand up one more time I'm kicking something. But he's right to a degree (although I don't think you can be given 2 minutes out of a 5 minute round attempting to move from guard to half guard). Then again you can have five minutes of 'feeling out' on the feet so fucked if I know.

But the 10 point must system is badly broken. If they insist on using it they need to give more 10-8 or 10-7 (is that even allowed?) because it sucks when a fighter dominates for a round then the other fighter comes back to eek out the next two (or 3/4 if a title fight) but don't come close to doing the same amount of damage that they have suffered.

Although there are arguments against that I suppose. Maynard kicked Edgar's arse for a round in their second fight and would have taken a 10-8 or even 10-7 (again if it's allowed) but if the fight kept going until there was a finish my money would definitely have been on Edgar so sometimes it works better than scoring just based on damage.

I guess controversy will always exist no matter what method is used to judge fights. But they definitely need officials and judges who know the sport inside and out. Surely there are enough fighters retiring by now who would be up to the task.

Also where is Herb Dean? It feels like ages since I've seen him ref a fight.

There are two 'problems' with the current system that combine to make it worse than it has to be. The first is that 10-10 rounds are never awarded and the second is that 10-8 results are ludicrously rare. It's a system that forces judges to give the same reward to a fighter that ekes out a round and to one that absolutely annihilates his opponent.

If the job of the scoring system is to accurately interpret a fight then it fails from being incredibly inflexible - it recognises no difference in superiority between a fighter that can in practise have tied a round with his opponent and one who has sometimes repeatedly knocked down his opponent. The number of rounds that falls within these two extremes is a pretty large proportion of the whole.

There should be a scoring system that allows judges to accurately reward fighters within this pretty large sample. If the 10-10 round is encouraged then you take out a lot of the problem of giving a fighter a pretty big reward (a point in what's close to being a race to three points) but it would also inevitably increase the number of drawn decisions, which is not really a practical solution. The other is to extend the other end of the scale - either by awarding half points or making the 10-8 and 10-7 more common, leaving 10-9 to reflect small victories.

If most rounds are going to be 10-9, a very small number 10-8 and 10-7s are almost unheard of, why is the scale set at 10 anyway?

Edited by -A-

Guest mr. potato head

10-7 is perfectly allowed, Nate Quarry beat Kalib Starnes 30-21.

And the fact Quarry won by only that much would be another clue that the system could use work. :shifty:

Edited by mr. potato head