UFC News and Discussion Thread

Oh I've always treated superfights as guys jumping weight classes just to have 2 big names together. Big matches in weight classes? We have whoever inevitably knocks off Jones, Weidman, Rousey, and Cain and those inevitable rematches waiting in the wings to do very well on PPV. Boxing has plenty of big matches for boxing fans, but only 2-3 huge matches in any given year. UFC isn't going to be any different, it's not pro wrestling where this shit can be manufactured.

Tis fair enough. I don't know how many people would be that bothered by a Weidman/Belfort match, for example, and Jones, Rousey and Cain all look fairly high and dry in terms of potential legitimate competition (Gustafsson vs Jones the one exception).

Back in the day, I used to be the biggest MMA fan.

MMA never recovered from Rampage Jackson ducking your YouTube video challenge...

• Like 5

Other than Krone being up his own rear end and far too snobby.... I get what he is saying when he says every event used to feel big, but when you had 1 event every month or two you had time for anticipation to build, where as now as we ave a fight night card, then a Fox card and then a PPV in quick succession you don't get that time for the excitement to gestate in the same fashion. BUT... rather than every event being a spectacle, it is now the case it is a sport and you have the day to day normality and the fights like last night are the unusual events, I kind of like it though

• Like 1

As a more fairweather MMA fan, I'll be honest insofar as finding it difficult to really connect with modern MMA in the same way as I maybe used to. The big names have gone, and to me, at least, there seems to be very few fighters of real substance coming through that genuinely excite me and make me want to watch.

If I am Fairweather MMA Fan Generico, that could potentially be a problem for the UFC, as it drives away the casual audience. It is necessary, but....I dunno.

• Like 1

Back in the day, I used to be the biggest MMA fan.

MMA never recovered from Rampage Jackson ducking your YouTube video challenge...

Well played <_<

And Jeff, not at all. TUF is what pretty much got me into MMA in the first place as well.

Rich, I do agree with you though and definitely understand what you're saying. It would be like there only being one football game a month in the NFL. Obviously it would be a bigger deal than it is because of how sporadic the games are. My main point (or what I was hoping) was more of the question if more people would get lost in the shuffle of there being so many cards and on so many different levels. Like I said, I've very rarely watched in the past few years, but I see they have like online prelims, then the FOX prelims, then the PPV. I feel that's such a hassle for the casual fan. Maybe that's just me.

Right but before that, when you watched in 2006/7 when it was out of the underground you did not see the prelims, those fighters who were on prelims which did not get on the TV did not even have a shuffle to get lost in, they just didn't have their fights seen outside of the arena.

And yeah, like Jeff, I got in to the UFC through TUF but I spend far too much time watching old school MMA and I love the history behind it all. There were people who got lost in the shuffle previously though.

I would say that some of the problem now is not to do with getting lost in the shuffle, its a lack of personalities in MMA, look at Weidman as an example, tell me one thing interesting about him... He has nothing in terms of image and personality which draws people in like Tito's mouth, Chucks every man willing to face everybody, Randy being the old guy who just keeps going, GSP not being impress wit Matt Hews Performance... We needs some more none-vanilla folk in the UFC, its why Roy Nelson has a good sized fan base, he is memorable and interesting, it is not to do with the UFC and the amounts of fights, its the fighters themselves.

• Like 2

Same with lots of sports..

Not all sportsmen are entertaining people. Great fighters can be boring people.. enjoy the great fights, enjoy the entertaining individuals involved too.

Lots of UFC is great. Loads to enjoy. That's the key. Enjoy it. If you feel like you're getting too much.. then watch less. Simple. If you love it all, watch it all!

• Like 1

I don't think it matters that Weidman doesn't have much personality, he's beaten Anderson twice; that's basically marketing gold for the UFC.

As for Belfort, video packages of his fights against Bisping/Rockhold/Hendo should have some of the casuals interested. If anything, it's better for Belfort, he can go into the fight without the front kick hanging over him.

I don't think it matters that Weidman doesn't have much personality, he's beaten Anderson twice; that's basically marketing gold for the UFC.

As for Belfort, video packages of his fights against Bisping/Rockhold/Hendo should have some of the casuals interested. If anything, it's better for Belfort, he can go into the fight without the front kick hanging over him.

Belfort has had opportunities, but never taken them, to be the man.

Very few people give a shit about Weidman from what I've seen written. He may have beaten Silva twice, but the nature of both victories give him little overall kudos - he isn't exactly viewed as the next big thing.

Oh, I agree that there is more upside to Weidman than downside... and the UFC will market him in such a way, but if you look at the people who get brought up they all have an X Factor as well as being great fighters at the time, Weidman at the minute is "That guy who has beaten Anderson" and nothing else, eventually he can become something more and I am really hoping he becomes the face of MMA in NY and it helps the sport get in to NY to fully legitimise it in the eyes of mainstream America. I find it crazy that there are still places where this nationally televised sport is illegal in America.

EDIT:

Oh and Liam, agree about Belfort, but there is something about him (be it the TRT or something else <_<) that has meant that he is looking so good at the minute and he has a great highlight reel at the minute.

• Like 1

Yeah, people seem to be overlooking the fact that Weidman beat Demian Maia, Mark Munoz and (to a lesser extent) Tom Lawlor. All mid-to-high level opponents.

But yeah, I feel a bit sorry for Weidman again. He wins, but everyone is talking about the finish as opposed to the result.

It's kinda weird because I mean is there not a lot of new interesting talent left? I know the earlier Ultimate Fighters gave us all these new interesting guys and for the last little bit nearly all the winners are kinda boring and bland. Uriah Hall seemed like he was going to be awesome and maybe he can still learn how to fight but he was such a let down.

It's kinda weird because I mean is there not a lot of new interesting talent left? I know the earlier Ultimate Fighters gave us all these new interesting guys and for the last little bit nearly all the winners are kinda boring and bland. Uriah Hall seemed like he was going to be awesome and maybe he can still learn how to fight but he was such a let down.

Speaking of Hall, how sad was that fight with Leben last night. He definitely needs to call it quits after that. If I said Anderson was a shell of his former self, Chris Leben is 1/20th of that and he was never really a top contender. Sad, but was always very entertaining.

Plus, who could forget about the best moment of his career, spritzing on Jason Thacker's bed sheets

• Like 1

I dunno about not having interesting fighters, but its just a case of getting talent and personality, and I fear they are almost mutually exclusive at times.

People who are getting over in the UFC... obvious ones are Gus and Jones, but then we have the likes of Pettis, Mighty Mouse, Cruz/Barao, Henderson, Melendez.... These guys are interesting and talented at the top level, but then you also get people who are great fighters but lack the personality to be somebody who people really care about, guys like Jim Miller, Joe Lauzon, Guida fall in to that for me.