UFC News and Discussion Thread

Can someone explain to me how Travis Browne's elbow strikes aren't illegal?

They were standing elbow strikes to the side of the head, coming down at an angle, what's illegal about that?
I thought it was downward elbows too? I saw the Gonzaga fight and those looked greasy, but I wasn't sure on the rule.

Nope just 12-6 elbows, I'm 99% certain, I'm sure rich can confirm whenever he gets in here.

Spot on

I turned away from Anderson's injury, listening to the crowd reaction I am happy that I have not seen it properly.

Its shocking really, its obvious that the UFC are not going to show a full on replay now as it is just one of those injuries which is sickening, I turned away before the replay as I saw the bulge when Anderson was lieing on the floor and realised it was a full on snap, shocking.

I cannot stand Anderson, but I do feel bad for him losing that way. Just terrible. It also sucks that Weidman didn't get the decisive win to silence the doubters.

In other news, my Pick 'Em streak has ended as well. What a lose-lose-lose situation.

I wonder if this is it for Silva. He's almost forty and the rehab is going to be difficult anyway. I don't see him getting an immediate immediate rematch as soon as he's healthy in a year or two. It doesn't even seem like it's worth it. What a potentially lame end to an otherwise fantastic career. He got the Sycho Sid treatment.(Referring to the injury)

Also, I'm gonna be pretty bummed if all this leads to Vitor Belfort winning the gold.

I don't think it makes Weidman look bad at ALL - he checked that kick like a boss. People keep saying that Anderson defeated "himself" and maybe there is an aspect of him throwing hard as FUCK kicks but that check was something else.

Irregardless, wait for a diagnosis to say for sure - but I think it's certain that he'll never be a contender again. And at the level that he fights at now - maybe retirement would be the right move anyways.

Depending on the leg break the healing time isn't too long. Kevin Ware was good to go after around 8 months of rehabilitation, but other leg injuries like Joe Theisman end careers. Reasonable we could see Silva return by December next year if he wants to return, but he's got nothing left to prove. A third match with Weidman would sell big, but he's the greatest ever and he has nothing to add to his legacy besides possibly that dream fight with GSP. However the window for that has almost surely passed.

I might catch heat for this, but I don't think Silva deserves another rematch right away, even if he does come back. Weidman knocked him out cleanly in the first fight(Silva was clowning but he got caught), and he won this time as well, even if it was the result of a really unfortunate and freak injury. Maybe if Anderson had shown something in the first round to show us something, but Weidman won that round pretty easily. I know Silva's fans will find some way to rationalize it, but I digress. If he comes back, he's better off taking some super-fights than getting another title shot. He doesn't need the title anymore anyway. He's the greatest MW Champion of all time.

My reaction to seeing the leg break:

"WHAT THE FUCK JESUS FUCKING CHRIST DID HIS LEG JUST IMPLODE WHAT THE FUCK OW"

Regarding the kick and Anderson Silva "defeating himself".

Joe Rogan mentioned the leg kicks, pre-fight and during the fight, saying that Weidman would be training how to defend them. Weidman has now explained that not only was he working on defending the leg kicks, but was training to specifically knee Silva in the shin to check them. Silva did it twice, the second one broke his leg. It does seem clear from that that while I wouldn't say Weidman intended to actually break Silva's leg he definitely trained the technique to hurt him and take away future leg kicks. It worked, no doubt about that.

This is going to be hard to convey though. To most people who will inevitable watch that clip over the next few days it just looks like Silva threw a kick and broke his leg accidentally, and that Weidman was ineffectual.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone saying Silva should be out of the title picture. I've seen the guy since he came into the UFC; hell, even before that in PRIDE. But let's be honest, he is in no way, shape, or form the same Anderson Silva that was putting down the likes of Rich Franklin, Nate Marquardt, and Chris Leben. He's 38 and honestly just had one of the nastiest injuries I think any of us have seen in professional sports. That was downright gruesome. His place atop the "Legends of MMA" is definitely up there (personally, I would still put Fedor #1), but it's time to call it quits. There's people like Belfort, Jacare, and even Machida now down at Middleweight who I'd consider contenders before Silva now.