UFC News and Discussion Thread

Good lord that was horrendous. I think it's something to do with lanky fighters with thin legs as Corey Hill was exactly the same when he broke his leg. Like has been said Weidman was winning the fight up until that point but there is not a person in the world who would want the fight to end the way it did. That's surely it for Silva now, hopefully he will be able to get back to 100%. Hill managed it and even started fighting again, hopefully Anderson's age won't cause the rehabilitation any problems.
Ignoring the leg break the whole show was fantastic. Finishes aplenty, Tate/Rousey was a tremendous fight with Rousey now being the UFC's top heel, Travis Browne looked sensational, it's always great when Jim Miller wins and Uriah Hall actually won a fight.
For those of you interested in the future of Ronda's belt, which should be all of you, she's defending against fellow Olympic medalist Sara McMann next as Cat Zangano's injury isn't healed yet. Incredibly it's only going to be less than two months away, now headlining UFC 170 on the 22nd February with Daniel Cormier/Rashad Evans as the co-Main Event.

Anderson update:

Zuffa, LLC, owner of the Ultimate Fighting Championship®, released the following statement regarding Anderson Silva's injury.

"Following Saturday evening's UFC 168 main event, former champion Anderson Silva was taken to a local Las Vegas hospital where he underwent surgery to repair a broken left leg. The successful surgery, performed by Dr. Steven Sanders, the UFC's orthopedic surgeon, inserted an intramedullary rod into Anderson's left tibia. The broken fibula was stabilized and does not require a separate surgery. Anderson will remain in the hospital for a short while, but no additional surgery is scheduled at this time. Recovery time for such injuries may vary between three and six months.
"Anderson is deeply touched by the outpouring of support from his fans and the entire MMA community. There has been no immediate decision about his future, and he would kindly ask for privacy at this time as he deals with his injury and prepares to return home to recover."

That's some encouraging news. Whilst I'm sure it hurts like a bitch hopefully it'one of those clean breaks that looks horrific but isn't as difficult to rehab as a ligament or tendon injury.

As far as the women go, I think the UFC have themselves to blame for it not taking off very quickly. They should have put more of the Women's fights that have been prelims on main Fox Sports cards, Sara McMann vs. Sheila Gaff for example was on the prelims for UFC 159, why not save it for a slot on a proper televised card that more people are likely to watch? McMann is now headlining a UFC PPV and not a single casual fan knows who she is.

They are still feeling out the women's 135 division, they are putting things together in a logical way and sure, now in hindsight that McMann is going to be in a title fight it would make sense, but we didn't know that at the time. BUT even if you had seen Sara on a tv slot, not many people would be buying that card for McMann, and that is not meant in any way to be offensive, people will buy the card to see Rousey, either because you love her or because you hate her and hope that she is going to get beat up.

I'm not saying it doesn't, but surely it's about maximising the opportunity? If the Women get more exposure then the division is going to be stronger, there will be more fighters that casual fans know, and as such the shows that they are on will sell more PPV buys or have more viewers. I'm not critical of choosing McMann as the next challenger in the slightest, I'm more concerned about the development of the division. Rousey is obviously the money draw in the division and so putting her on PPV makes sense, but as far as the other girls go even the Flyweight division has been getting more attention on televised cards.

UFC probably have Rousey/Zigano in mind, McMann is just being thrown out so Rousey can get one more defense before then.

McMann for me poses the biggest threat to Ronda out of any of the current women in the division. Absolute massive fight and quite surprised it's coming as soon as February.

There are more fighters in the men's 125lb division and as well I will again state, if Sara had been on the PPV over the FX card (as it was) would it really have made any difference, the show had about 550,000 PPV buys and my guess is that the prelim card still had 1mil viewers and she looked great, what do you remember from the 159 card other than Sonnen vs Jones, do you remember the Kongo/Nelson fight? How about the Bisping/Belcher fight? Davis/Magalhaes? Just being on the PPV card doesn't mean you have better or more exposure.

UFC probably have Rousey/Zigano in mind, McMann is just being thrown out so Rousey can get one more defense before then.

McMann for me poses the biggest threat to Ronda out of any of the current women in the division. Absolute massive fight and quite surprised it's coming as soon as February.

No... We have seen a really good wrestler in Tate being schooled by Rousey in TD's and defence and I really can't see Sara being able to defend on the ground, her stand up is not strong enough to outright beat up Rousey. For me the person to beat Rousey is a high level striker who can stay outside and avoid the clinch and beat her up on the feet.

No... We have seen a really good wrestler in Tate being schooled by Rousey in TD's and defence and I really can't see Sara being able to defend on the ground, her stand up is not strong enough to outright beat up Rousey. For me the person to beat Rousey is a high level striker who can stay outside and avoid the clinch and beat her up on the feet.

Don't get me wrong, I have Ronda winning this one, but for me McMann is the main person I wanted to see go up against Rousey and her wrestling intrigues me enough to want to see if it'll pose enough of a threat against Rousey. I don't see many other women currently in the division posing as much of a threat as what McMann currently does, but we'll see I guess.