World Cup 2010 Thread

Harsh. Yellow and a penalty I would have said :\

Stopping a clear goalscoring chance whist the last man = Auto red card.

This is the guideline for the automatic redcard (Page 35)

denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within

his own penalty area)

I think what Plubby was saying was that it wasn't an intentional play. His arm was just there.

I think what Plubby was saying was that it wasn't an intentional play. His arm was just there.

It hit his arm. His arm was by the side of his body. Had his arm not been in the way, it would've been a goal. Easy red card, all day every day.

If his arm was across his body in a manner that meant if his arm didn't exist, the ball would've hit his chest, that's a different matter. The fact is, Kewell's arm alone prevented the ball from crossing the line. Red card.

Edit: It wasn't even flat against his side, as if he was trying to get it out of the way of the ball. It was in quite a natural position, and the replay shows that it actually took quite a lot of strength to keep his arm from moving while the ball hit it.

The fact is, the referee made a judgment call, and the replays have shown him to be totally correct.

Italian ref. Oh the irony :D

Ahahaha, I hadn't even realised that. Awesome. :P

I'm keeping the faith, though. Game of two halves and all that.

Edited by Farmer Reil

Harsh. Yellow and a penalty I would have said :\

Stopping a clear goalscoring chance whist the last man = Auto red card.

This is the guideline for the automatic redcard (Page 35)

denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within

his own penalty area)

Precisely, He couldn't do shit there unless he would have been able to let his arm fall off.

On the bright side, Italy beat us with 10 so it can be done.

Italian ref. Oh the irony :D

Not lost on me. and I find a new level of hate for Italy.

It takes one American to understand what I was trying to say and correct the Brits on my rules interpretation. At least the other one is maintaining appearances by making contributions on the level of "hee-haww, hee-haww"

Australia's World Cup story seems to be: Play really well, get a man sent off (the first really harshly, the second unfortunate but correct) and then fight a spirited uphill battle. Have to feel sorry for them. Still, Bresciano aside they've started pretty well in the second half so there's hope.

France striker Nicolas Anelka has been sent home from the World Cup after reports of a bust-up with coach Raymond Domenech during the Mexico game.

Anelka missed training on Saturday after reports of a row with the France coach during their 2-0 defeat.

Anelka, who started both France's World Cup games, insulted Domenech at half-time, according to L'Equipe.

He was replaced at the break, but France's hope of qualifying from Group A is out of their own hands.

If Mexico and Uruguay draw in their final match France will be eliminated.

BBCSport

Chipperfield comes on.

From my neck of the woods, Come on Scotty.

and so does Kennedy.

Lets go Aussies, Tighten them screws.

...Kennedy <_<

I'm keeping the faith, though. Game of two halves and all that.

Don't say that too loud, naiwf will think you're only saying it to keep people tuning in to ESPN once their team of choice is eliminated.

• Like 1

France striker Nicolas Anelka has been sent home from the World Cup after reports of a bust-up with coach Raymond Domenech during the Mexico game.

Anelka missed training on Saturday after reports of a row with the France coach during their 2-0 defeat.

Anelka, who started both France's World Cup games, insulted Domenech at half-time, according to L'Equipe.

He was replaced at the break, but France's hope of qualifying from Group A is out of their own hands.

If Mexico and Uruguay draw in their final match France will be eliminated.

BBCSport

That would mean South Africa get booted out too, wouldn't it? :(

Of course, because it's impossible to play football with ten men. >.< Must be that Ghana aren't trying, because they think beating an eleven-man Germany will be easier. :rolleyes:

Seriously, that's almost more annoying than "lol, jubilani" whenever anyone scores. Because it's obviously not possible to score a good goal these days.

Edited by Farmer Reil