Smackdown vs Raw 2011

jrtdot

Speaking of Michael Cole - that has to be some of the worst announcing in a Smackdown game since the third game in the series, Just Bring It! I think it was.

"THE UNDERTAKER performs his special move the LAST RIDE with perfection."

"THE ROCK is great at performing THE ROCK BOTTOM."

It amazes me that THQ still offers this kind of amateur hour bullshit. We're two generations removed from the start of fully voiced console games, and they still have the same automated phone call bullshit they've always had. To make it worse, the audio is WAY off in a lot of the commentary, one minute Michael Cole is talking, and the next he sounds like he's in a closet... underwater... with his mouth taped shut. Perhaps that's supposed to be what he sounds like with his head up his ass, and if so, I applaud the accuracy, but c'mon.

Bear in mind that THQ also knock out the UFC games which have truly spectacular commentary. Granted it'll be a different team working on it, but surely they could share some tips?

Not having played a SD!, or any wrestling, game for a few years, 2011 seems pretty good visually. I really enjoyed that instead of getting some intro video or anything, you get the practice arena thing to appear as a screen where you press start for the main menu. It allowed me to actually pick up and play the game. I didnt do too much as far as matches go as I was more interested in the create modes, but the 360 version seems nice as far as hitting moves and whatnot goes.

The CAW doesnt seem all that different from what I remember, though I do like the layout they have for choosing the different menus in CAW and such. I need to actually take a good chunk of a day to use it correctly, since I made a CAW in like 15 minutes. The CAF, even though I didnt really make one yet, seems nice and is a great addition to the series. Hopefully they will impement more holds as the years go on.

The Create an Entrance seemed damned good, and reminded me of the old RAW/RAW 2 CAE, which is a good thing. Splitting it up into 5 different parts, allowing you to choose camera angles and when they cut to a different angle, allowing you to pick when pyro goes off, the different lighting. All very, very good.

Really cant wait to get into actual RTWM and Universe stuff. The gameplay didnt seem bad from the practice arena, just going to take some getting used to the 360 controls since Ive always played the SD games on the Playstation consoles.

Really enjoying the game so far, though I have a few complaints. Did they remove the option to irish whip your opponent into the corner and then leapfrog them to where you're set-up perfectly to hit a top rope move? I tried a few times with Bourne but couldn't do it, I might just be hitting the wrong button. On PS3 so if I'm just pressing the wrong buttons I'd love to know which one to press.

Another complaint I have is I'm having a ton of great back and forth matches that come down to the very end and I'll have the upper hand and be looking to hit my signature move or some other move, get backdropped or something as a counter and lose the match to just a small counter. A great match just ruined with such a shitty ending.

Really enjoying the game so far, though I have a few complaints. Did they remove the option to irish whip your opponent into the corner and then leapfrog them to where you're set-up perfectly to hit a top rope move? I tried a few times with Bourne but couldn't do it, I might just be hitting the wrong button. On PS3 so if I'm just pressing the wrong buttons I'd love to know which one to press.

Another complaint I have is I'm having a ton of great back and forth matches that come down to the very end and I'll have the upper hand and be looking to hit my signature move or some other move, get backdropped or something as a counter and lose the match to just a small counter. A great match just ruined with such a shitty ending.

I was wondering the same about the leapfrog move, and was also attempting it with Bourne. I ended up on the outside of the ring.

I did have a fun world title match as Sheamus, defeating Cena for the gold. I busted him open with a chair shot that left a bloodstain on the chair.

I also noticed that I couldn't climb up on the announce table. Am I just doing something wrong or has anybody else noticed this?

For some reason Yoshi Tatsu got placed in the Elimination Chamber match for the WWE Championship. There was only one logical outcome to this.

My first Wrestlemania is shaping up to be a doozy. Will Royal Rumble winner Vance Archer face WWE Champion Yoshi Tatsu? Oh the intrigue!

Oh, this game sounds like all kinds of awesome. I'm getting a PS3 some time in January so I'll have a lot of games to work through, but it's gonna be hard not to buy this right from the off for however much they're charging these days. Sounds like pretty much all I've ever wanted from a wrestling game.

Edited by Pesci

So Cena and Undertaker were the champs in my game and I decided to see what happened if I switched the brands they were on. This led to Cena and Undertaker winning No. 1 contender matches for the other person's title and two matches between Cena and Undertaker at the next PPV. Cena swept and "unified" the titles. He also is a Unified Tag Team champ with Evan Borne.

Another question, this one regarding RTWM. How in the hell do you save? I've got the Cena one going right now in the autosave but can't find the option to save in the different slots so I could have multiple ones going at once.

So, who else has been playing Universe mode? Is it worth buying the game for it? I've seen many positive reviews, but there are some limitations apparently. How's the gameplay for You guys, is it really as great as it was advertised?

I'm actually losing matches sometimes which isn't something I've had happen in years so that's nice. Right now I'm still enjoying Universe mode and I'm sure it'll be even better once I get all of the typical CAWs I usually make, though the novelty still hasn't worn off yet. Overall I give it a big thumbs up, especially if you like wrestling games.

Sadly, I probably won't be picking this up until Christmas. My financial situation is in the toilet and likely won't be improving any time soon.

Are there any situations in Universe or RTWM modes where you (the wrestler you're playing as, that is) get to pick the type of match you compete in? One thing I hated about the more recent games is that most of the time it let the opponent pick, or you had to win a match of some kind to get the right to pick.

My god this game is fun. I'm trying to push Ted DiBiase on SmackDown, and he got put in a match with WWE champ Shawn Michaels. I play as DiBiase and the match is back and forth. I eventually hit DiBiase's finisher, only for Tyson Kidd to come out and distract the ref. I run over and knock Kidd off the apron only for HBK to kip up, hit the Sweet Chin Music on me, and win the match.

Sadly, I probably won't be picking this up until Christmas. My financial situation is in the toilet and likely won't be improving any time soon.

Are there any situations in Universe or RTWM modes where you (the wrestler you're playing as, that is) get to pick the type of match you compete in? One thing I hated about the more recent games is that most of the time it let the opponent pick, or you had to win a match of some kind to get the right to pick.

You can customize any match you want in Universe. Not sure about RTWM, as I've still just played the hell out of Universe mode.

My god this game is fun. I'm trying to push Ted DiBiase on SmackDown, and he got put in a match with WWE champ Shawn Michaels. I play as DiBiase and the match is back and forth. I eventually hit DiBiase's finisher, only for Tyson Kidd to come out and distract the ref. I run over and knock Kidd off the apron only for HBK to kip up, hit the Sweet Chin Music on me, and win the match.

That's awesome. I played the Elimination Chamber match as the Big Show, hoping to win the World title with him, pitting him and Undertaker (Royal Rumble winner) together at Smackdown. But Dolph Ziggler (who I have pushed to the moon and is multi-time World Champion) and Edge double teamed me after I eliminated the first three guys. It was great. I'm not use to losing.