Elder Scrolls V: Skeerim

apsham

Basic Needs mod sounds good because there's all that food that there is no need to buy, or steal or eat.

Yeah. I think one of the optional files for it makes most of the food you just find around stale, so there's a good benefit to cooking your own. I don't think stuff in your inventory goes bad but I've never kept anything for that long, either. But those sorts of immersion mods are always great.

I couldn't find the fucking stairs for the longest time. I had put it off for ages, to the point I was level 52 or something when I made the climb. By the time I found them I didn't really give three fucks about the scenery.

Also am I the only one who will jump and run diagonally up mountains as a shortcut/way to get constantly lost?

No I do that all the time. Mostly because I suck at reading the in game map and end up roaming around the foothills at the bottom of a mountain for ages and ages.

The way I see it, it just makes arriving somewhere all the more rewarding >_>

Reading Benji's posts, I'm wondering if I've been doing archery wrong. It's just a case of holding down whichever shoulder button you assign the bow to and then releasing right? Cos my stat never levels up and enemies never seem to take damage from the shots. It got to the stage where I just stopped trying with it and levelled up on Destruction magic and one-armed combat.

Also Benji

The yeti on the Greybeard mountain destroyed me to I reloaded a save from the bottom of the mountain and went and got my companion, Lydia.... and the second time I climbed the mountain I got attacked by a dragon at the same damn time! That's what I get for trying to be sneaky.

It actually worked in my favour, the Dragon killed the yeti but took a beating in the process and then me, Lydia and a fuck-tonne of potions did for the Dragon.

Yea you've gotta be doing something wrong with archery. I've used nothing but archery and I'm around skill level 43 with it. CAn zoom in on shots...doing that while hidden I get 1 hit kills on alot of enemies with the orcish bow and arrows

RE: Getting places, I tend to mix it up. Sometimes I'll take the path, other times I'll go off the beaten trail and try to find my own way. I figure it gives me a good mix of dynamic events, since some happen on the roads and some happen away from them.

Reading Benji's posts, I'm wondering if I've been doing archery wrong. It's just a case of holding down whichever shoulder button you assign the bow to and then releasing right? Cos my stat never levels up and enemies never seem to take damage from the shots. It got to the stage where I just stopped trying with it and levelled up on Destruction magic and one-armed combat.

Also Benji

The yeti on the Greybeard mountain destroyed me to I reloaded a save from the bottom of the mountain and went and got my companion, Lydia.... and the second time I climbed the mountain I got attacked by a dragon at the same damn time! That's what I get for trying to be sneaky.

It actually worked in my favour, the Dragon killed the yeti but took a beating in the process and then me, Lydia and a fuck-tonne of potions did for the Dragon.

The archery - are you holding down the trigger/button to shoot? You have to take a couple of seconds to take aim, you can't just press the button and it flies. Think of it like pulling the bow itself, you have to pull back the string/whatever the technical term is.

Glad it wasn't just me. I've managed to obtain a few useable allies at the inn and by buying Breezehome, so when I take back the horn, I might drag a few of them up that mountain and try and wallop the bugger so I don't have to worry about it in future.

Okay. I'm hooked. I'm at work and all I can think about is what I want to do next :(

I've not looked into enchanting and other such skills yet. Are they important at all? Also, as I mentioned earlier, are their any arrows of effect in this game? All I seem to find are Iron, Steel and Orcish arrows, all do pretty much the same, barring a small damage difference.

Enchanting naturally starts to build its way into the game a bit later as you run into more magicians. They touch on smithing early because it's quite handy but you could probably play the entire game without enchanting anything - though it's a good way to make money - find weapons in dungeons, smith them up a bit, enchant them, profit.

Yeah what Hammy said was a big strategy of mine for making money and gaining experience.

Enchanting isn't necessary unless you're playing a magic/melee hybrid, if you're playing a thief/assassin you get armor that is enchanted with stat boosts to stealth already. If you're a mage you get the same deal I'm told.

Enchanting is useful. It's almost game-breakingly effective at high levels. With 100 enchanting, I can enchant armor so that I can cast two schools of magic with no mana loss, or nearly double the effectiveness of my weapons. My bow on my assassin/thief character for example does about 100 damage with skills if I recall correctly. It's a standard glass bow. With enchantments (and he's at about 80 enchanting) it does over 200. With sneaking, that's a difference of 300 damage and keep in mind it's not even maxed yet. It's the difference between a one-shot kill and a two-three arrow kill. Other skills are equally useful like being able to carry more or resistances etc. Smithing is probably slightly more useful, and neither are NECESSARY (You can find good armor and with the armor skills probably get it near the armor cap without improving it...not sure on that, and you can find enchanted items and probably eventually get what you're looking for) but you really have a lot more control over your character with both Smithing and Enchanting. I highly recommend both.

So wow..ran into what I think is my first random dragon encounter...I'll put in spoilers just in case..

So I finished the first mission for Delphine, and get the Diplomatic Immunity mission. I fast travel to the Brotherhoods abandoned shack sice its a short walk to SOlitude from there, and my companion Faendal takes out his bow. I'm thinkin its just some wolves or crabs, so I keep walking..BOOM! Frost dragon swoops down on me...fight it off and kill it and had a blast doing so!

But now I think I'm stuck on the Diplomatic Immunity quest...I didn't take any lockpicks with me, I get an Expert level door and I can't find a key to it..only have Interrigation Chamber keys, but no dungeon keys..

And where the hell did Lydia go? I sent her away to use Faendal for a little bit, she said she'd be at my Breezehome house, and now I can't find her at all..