House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Hide contents

Lord Beesbury has been removed from the game. 

Hide contents

Alicent's stockings have been removed (from the game :shifty: ). 

OH JESUS CHRIST, FUCKING REALLY, LARYS?!

Hide contents

I know this is going to sound weird, but I'm kinda glad that the war is about to start. I was so tired of those awkward family meetings and the near-constant passive-aggressiveness. 

I'm also happy that Alicent is finally showing some backbone in dealing with her father. I'm afraid it is a bit too late for that though.

Episode 9 was wonderful television.

Hide contents

Though they did totally play off Rhaenys just killing thousands of innocent people with her dragon. The post-show look inside the episode referred to it as a triumphant moment as she crashed through the floor all the peasants were standing on.

1 hour ago, damhausen said:

Episode 9 was wonderful television.

Hide contents

Though they did totally play off Rhaenys just killing thousands of innocent people with her dragon. The post-show look inside the episode referred to it as a triumphant moment as she crashed through the floor all the peasants were standing on.

Hide contents

Yeah it was kinda weird in retrospect, though it could very well end up playing into the Storming of the Dragonpit in either Season 2 or (likely) Season 3.

10 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

It feels like they got the role these actors were supposed to play mixed up somehow.

Seriously.  Older Aegon looks nothing like pointed nosed younger Aegon, and while I’m sure the actor for older Aemond is a great choice for the role, he looks way more similar to younger Aegon.  And hell, younger Aemond looks closer to older Aegon too.

Also, Aemond looks like he aged 15 years, while Aegon looks like he aged 5.  And somehow Otto Hightower hasn’t aged a goddamn day!

• Like 1

On 20/10/2022 at 09:56, Mick said:

And then there's Viserys who aged like he drank the wrong Holy Grail :shifty: . 

tbf, he did was infected by something that was slowly killing him over decades

• Like 2

I'm finally caught up on HotD and... I think it's okay at best.  

I guess I can't spoiler tag on my phone anymore? So SPOILERS, barely, if you read below.

The time jumps just really threw so much off for me. The time jump to the older versions of Rhaenerya and Alicent really were done poorly in my opinion. All of a sudden there's RT's 3 kids, AH's 3 kids, and the show did a terrible job of telling me who is who. I had no idea watching it really, and had to read afterwards who was who. I shouldn't have to do that as a watcher to understand the show.

Now that things are more settled it's easier to tell who is who, but even now, there's just so much stuff happening that I feel like just wasn't built up even close to enough. Was Aegon running away last episode because he didn't want to be King? Because that's the way they made it sound like at times, even though he wouldn't have even known this plan yet, right? Otherwise why would he have been trying to evade everyone pursuing him? 

And even then, because the season has gone through so much time in 9 episodes, they've done the absolute bare minimum to show us that Aegon wants no responsibilities/the throne (now that it's an option to him), so we're being forced to "tell, don't show" WWE style of television. 

And again, because so many years get rushed through, I pretty much have no clue who any of the minor characters are unless they're pretty much made explicitly clear. The guy Cristan killed during the Small Council meeting? No clue who he was. The other guy sitting down between I believe the Archmaester and Otto? Not a single clue who he is. But this guy has been plotting with Otto to commit treason and put Aegon on the throne over Rhaenerya; he seems like he should be important!

The White Worm character is another that's seemingly important. I had no idea if she'd even been mentioned before she showed up at the end of Episode 8. Again, I had to read to find out because she was barely in the show/mentioned. 

Maybe because too much time has passed from when I watched episode 1 to 9 to remember everything, but man, I just feel this show could do so much better to make sure you know who the fuck is who. 

I will say that the younger versions of Rhaenerya and Alicent were absolutely amazing, and Paddy was just amazing as Viserys. Daemon's character has been pretty good as well, and the actor for him is amazing. New Aemond is seemingly nailing his character as well. A lot of the actors are fantastic really in the roles. It just seems like this season has been all about "try to rush through as much as possible to get to the civil war" which I can understand, just feel like it's sacrificed a lot of pacing, clarity, and good storytelling to get there.

• Like 1