General Football Thread

Starvinho

Saido Berahino has been given clearance to play for Burundi. Les Hirondelles (the Swallows) currently sit top of their African Cup of Nations qualifying group after 1 game, and next face 2012 Quarter Finalists Gabon as they look to qualify for the AfCoN for the first time. Mali and South Sudan are also in the qualifying group.

11 hours ago, MexicoJack said:

Saido Berahino has been given clearance to play for Burundi. Les Hirondelles (the Swallows) currently sit top of their African Cup of Nations qualifying group after 1 game, and next face 2012 Quarter Finalists Gabon as they look to qualify for the AfCoN for the first time. Mali and South Sudan are also in the qualifying group.

I’ll still be amazed if he scores a goal.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

My Sunday is perfect.

unknown.png

My local relegation candidate team beating title candidate Feyenoord 2-0 at home in the first game of the season!

That is Reading mate.

• Haha 2

New FA rules for this season have introduced temporary dismissals or sin bins for dissent into the youth leagues. Any player being reprimanded will have to leave the field of play for ten minutes in ninety minute matches (eight minutes for shorter matches) and cannot be replaced. If they pick up a second reprimand, they will be dismissed again but can be replaced at the end of the dismissal period.

This season will be a trial and then next season, it will be expanded into the adult game up to level seven, which are the leagues below the Conference North and South. From there, it could possibly be expanded into the entire football league.

Thoughts? A smaller trial last season reduced incidences of dissent by something like 40%.

27 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Is it just for dissent? Think it's a great idea if so, it needs stamping out.

If only there was a system in place already that would address this ...

Just give them a yellow. If they don’t shut up, give them another. They’d soon bloody learn.

33 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Is it just for dissent? Think it's a great idea if so, it needs stamping out.

At the moment, yes.

5 minutes ago, Twist said:

If only there was a system in place already that would address this ...

Just give them a yellow. If they don’t shut up, give them another. They’d soon bloody learn.

I believe the thinking behind it is by getting yourself removed from the game for ten minutes, you're letting your team down by putting them at a disadvantage, even moreso at very young ages, my U10s play 7v7 for thirty minutes, losing a player for eight minutes of that period is a massive disadvantage. Certainly moreso then by being booked, which is not seen as a deterrent.

I think it's a step in the right direction but the vast majority of abuse that referees suffer comes from the sidelines, not the players. I've seen grown men threaten to punch teenage referees over decisions in non-competitive mini-soccer games. It's ludicrous.