General Movie Thread

Jimmy

The Thin Red Line and the Great Escape off the top of my head. Stalag 17 since it's Christmas season and I fucking love that movie. Schindler's List also because now I can only think of POW movies 😕 The Deer Hunter is another great POW movie. Ooh, for a Ken Loach shout, the Wind that Shakes the Barley is fucking incredible.

For more recent stuff, I guess Fury is a good shout.

I watched a movie.

Bird Box.

It was good.

Anyone else watch it?

5 hours ago, K said:

I've been waiting for someone to tell me how scary it is

It's tense, not really scary.

Bringing it back to Bird Box since its the only movie I've watched in a while and I've been reading talk on Reddit.

Spoilers

Spoiler

Is it not obvious what the creatures are? I see all sorts of people driving themselves crazy over it when it's like right there.

It's demons. Like "actually could have been in the Bible" demons.  The grocery store dude straight up puts that out as the only real theory and the things have rules to them like not being able to inhabit buildings or break windows which is very much a thing in demonic lore because they can only do what God allows them to do and nothing more. And the drawings that guy made are clearly all sorts of nightmarish hellbeasts rather than a race of aliens or something more earthly.

I can't decide if the Golden Globes results underscore that it was a kind of bad year for most areas of film (except superhero movies, where even the worst one this year was a huge hit that a lot of people seem to like half-ironically) or that the Golden Globes are honestly just really ridiculous. Even for the Globes, these are pretty ridiculous winners; I've still not seen Bohemian Rhapsody in full, I straight-up just kept putting it off until it left theaters, but it seems like at best a pleasant, kind-of dated biopic with a really good lead performance. Green Book was a pretty likable movie if you don't know the complaints from the Shirley family, it was definitely a good movie to take my aunt who hates any movie about racism where a character says the n-word to, but it never really goes beyond that.

I can't imagine that either of those movies are an actual threat to win Best Picture but it underscores what a weird place the awards season's at. I've not seen Roma yet so right now I'm rooting for The Favourite or Black Panther because I can't imagine any other circumstances in which either a Yorgos Lanthimos joint or a superhero movie would ever have a shot.

I haven't watched the Green Book yet, does it really have magical negro-ism in it? It doesn't look like it based on the trailer, so I was honestly looking forward to it. I don't know about the Shirley family's criticism, every famous person's family always complains that whatever media is put out there about their family member is false and they were never estranged. 

Bohemian Rhapsody, Bryan Singer being a piece of shit aside, is basically just a movie where you get to sing-a-long to really fun songs. There is literally nothing that screams "great movie" about it.

And I totally disagree about the year being low on great film. It's been pretty phenomenal, in my opinion, and that's not even counting the three incredible super hero films (Infinity War, Into the Spider-Verse and Black Panther) or the two animated films that should make best animated feature incredibly hard to pick (Incredibles 2 & Wreck-it Ralph 2). Off the top of my head, First Man, BlackKklansman, Annihilation, A Quiet Place are all incredible. I watched Support the Girls yesterday and was blown away by it. I really need to catch up before Oscars night, though. 

It's not a magical negro movie, it's more an odd couple "we all have things we can teach each other" thing with a side of "racist man learns that racism is Bad." And I more or less agree that all biopics tend to have a degree of pushback and also a degree of unreality, but I think the circumstances here are different because the movie is co-written by the son of the white guy in the movie.

And I'm not saying there weren't good movies this/last year. I thought Annihilation, The Death of Stalin, Hereditary, and The Favourite were all great, and Sorry to Bother You was pretty good even though its big twist is... something. But honestly after those and Black Panther/Infinity War/Spider-Verse it falls off a fair amount for me and we're now in what's typically the time of the year I'm the most excited to go to movies and now that I've seen The Favourite there's just... nothing, as far as I can see. Vice, I guess?

I haven’t seen the film. I did see a scathing review from a black playwright I greatly respect. In short, he did feel the film was racist, particularly in a way to make white people feel better about racism. Now with the news that the screenwriter tried to back up Trump about Muslims in Jersey cheering on 9/11 (they didn’t), I feel there’s more than a decent case for the film being written from a racist point of view.