General Movie Thread

Jimmy

The Predator

Only about 40 minutes into it and I need to pause it because I'm off out, but:

Spoiler

Obviously in a film like this they are contractually obliged to use previous lines.

Sidekick: Get to the choppa!
Female lead is about to be killed by Black Ops type
Heroes ride back on Chopper Motorbikes and save her

Just brilliant.

6 hours ago, MDK said:

The Predator

Only about 40 minutes into it and I need to pause it because I'm off out, but:

Reveal hidden contents

Just brilliant.

I just finished it and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. Great action film, didn't fuck about with niceties and a few nice nods to the previous films.

20 hours ago, Chief87 said:

I have no idea what to think of this. But I want to see it.

In my head cannon, some bizarre experiment / time travel / inter-dimensional whatever ended with Wade Wilson / Deadpool's conciousness being transported into the body of an electric mouse.

• Like 1

Bohemian Rhapsody

Spoiler

While I get having to lie about the history of Queen to Hollywood the movie, I think they did it way too much. Faking a break up in their history was stupid and annoyed me. I get why they had him have HIV earlier than IRL for the story they wanted to tell by capping the story off at Live Aid. Annoying, but I get it. 

If you want to watch a sing along of Queen while Remi Malek matches Freddie Mercury in concert, then this is the movie for you. If you wanted a good movie that accurately portrays the history of Queen and does a good job to describe the personal life, homosexuality, sex with multiple partners, and drug use of Freddie, then you're sorely mistaken.

I thought Malek was amazing as Freddie, and I love that the kid from Jurassic Park was Deacon. Loved the cool Michael Myers cameo with the Wayne's World reference. 

22 hours ago, Gazz said:

In my head cannon, some bizarre experiment / time travel / inter-dimensional whatever ended with Wade Wilson / Deadpool's conciousness being transported into the body of an electric mouse.

xr96i1nn79y11.jpg

• Haha 2

Was thinking about going to see Robin Hood this weekend.  Some of the reviews make it seem like its in the "so bad its good" realm.  But I did read one thing that makes me curious..

By the way, gasoline exists in the Middle Ages now—as do midriff tops, wire-rimmed glasses, roulette, the entire Industrial Revolution

So I was kinda curious, and since he is the most qualified person I can think of to ask.  Hey @Hobo, is any of that historically accurate? (I'm betting no but hoping we get an Unemployed Historian video about various Robin Hood movies...)

All that I've read about RH makes it sound like it's going to be dumb as hell, but kinda fun too because it's completely out there.

The descriptions remind me a bit of the King Arthur flick from a few years back. And whilst that filmmwas really silly, I really enjoyed it too.

So I'll probably check Robin hood out 

1 hour ago, Lint said:

Was thinking about going to see Robin Hood this weekend.  Some of the reviews make it seem like its in the "so bad its good" realm.  But I did read one thing that makes me curious..

So I was kinda curious, and since he is the most qualified person I can think of to ask.  Hey @Hobo, is any of that historically accurate? (I'm betting no but hoping we get an Unemployed Historian video about various Robin Hood movies...)

True story, I had one of those on  my list years ago. But I can't even get time to get near the scripts I have at the moment so don't hold your breath.

I just watched a Dan Olsen vlog about this film. It sounds like The Dark Knight meets V for Vendetta. Like, it's so intentionally stylised that they don't care for accuracy.

4 hours ago, Lint said:

There was lots of flammable oils back in the day. Oil pits and all that.

from what I learned of the plot this morning the film gives no fucks about how feudal England or the Crusades worked anyway and the Sherrif's soliders have leather riot shields, so sure, Molotov Cocktails all around!