General Movie Thread

Jimmy

Went and saw The Upside last night. I usually don't like Kevin Hart and tend to avoid most of his movies but I love this one. We thought that the ending felt a little rushed but other then that, it was enjoyable.

The Oscars is super goofy nowadays so I feel it'd be more apt to put the nominations in here:

Spoilered for size:

Spoiler

Best Picture:

“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“The Favourite”
“Green Book”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born”
“Vice”

Lead Actor:

Christian Bale, “Vice”
Bradley Cooper, “A Star Is Born”
Willem Dafoe, “At Eternity’s Gate”
Rami Malek, “Bohemian Rhapsody”
Viggo Mortensen, “Green Book”

Lead Actress:

Yalitza Aparicio, “Roma”
Glenn Close, “The Wife”
Olivia Colman, “The Favourite”
Lady Gaga, “A Star Is Born”
Melissa McCarthy, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

Supporting Actor:

Mahershala Ali, “Green Book”
Adam Driver, “BlacKkKlansman”
Sam Elliott, “A Star Is Born”
Richard E. Grant, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”
Sam Rockwell, “Vice”

Supporting Actress:
Amy Adams, “Vice”
Marina de Tavira, “Roma”
Regina King, “If Beale Street Could Talk”
Emma Stone, “The Favourite”
Rachel Weisz, “The Favourite”

Director:

Spike Lee, “BlacKkKlansman”
Pawel Pawlikowski, “Cold War”
Yorgos Lanthimos, “The Favourite”
Alfonso Cuarón, “Roma”
Adam McKay, “Vice”

Animated Feature:

“Incredibles 2,” Brad Bird
“Isle of Dogs,” Wes Anderson
“Mirai,” Mamoru Hosoda
“Ralph Breaks the Internet,” Rich Moore, Phil Johnston
“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman

Animated Short:

“Animal Behaviour,” Alison Snowden, David Fine
“Bao,” Domee Shi
“Late Afternoon,” Louise Bagnall
“One Small Step,” Andrew Chesworth, Bobby Pontillas
“Weekends,” Trevor Jimenez

Adapted Screenplay:

“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs,” Joel Coen , Ethan Coen
“BlacKkKlansman,” Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, Kevin Willmott, Spike Lee
“Can You Ever Forgive Me?,” Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty
“If Beale Street Could Talk,” Barry Jenkins
“A Star Is Born,” Eric Roth, Bradley Cooper, Will Fetters

Original Screenplay:

“The Favourite,” Deborah Davis, Tony McNamara
“First Reformed,” Paul Schrader
“Green Book,” Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly
“Roma,” Alfonso Cuarón
“Vice,” Adam McKay

Cinematography:

“Cold War,” Lukasz Zal
“The Favourite,” Robbie Ryan
“Never Look Away,” Caleb Deschanel
“Roma,” Alfonso Cuarón
“A Star Is Born,” Matthew Libatique

Best Documentary Feature:

“Free Solo,” Jimmy Chin, Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi
“Hale County This Morning, This Evening,” RaMell Ross
“Minding the Gap,” Bing Liu
“Of Fathers and Sons,” Talal Derki
“RBG,” Betsy West, Julie Cohen

Best Documentary Short Subject:

“Black Sheep,” Ed Perkins
“End Game,” Rob Epstein, Jeffrey Friedman
“Lifeboat,” Skye Fitzgerald
“A Night at the Garden,” Marshall Curry
“Period. End of Sentence.,” Rayka Zehtabchi

Best Live Action Short Film: 
“Detainment,” Vincent Lambe
“Fauve,” Jeremy Comte
“Marguerite,” Marianne Farley
“Mother,” Rodrigo Sorogoyen
“Skin,” Guy Nattiv

Best Foreign Language Film:

“Capernaum” (Lebanon)
“Cold War” (Poland)
“Never Look Away” (Germany)
“Roma” (Mexico)
“Shoplifters” (Japan)

Film Editing:

“BlacKkKlansman,” Barry Alexander Brown
“Bohemian Rhapsody,” John Ottman
“Green Book,” Patrick J. Don Vito
“The Favourite,” Yorgos Mavropsaridis
“Vice,” Hank Corwin

Sound Editing:

“Black Panther,” Benjamin A. Burtt, Steve Boeddeker
“Bohemian Rhapsody,” John Warhurst
“First Man,” Ai-Ling Lee, Mildred Iatrou Morgan
“A Quiet Place,” Ethan Van der Ryn, Erik Aadahl
“Roma,” Sergio Diaz, Skip Lievsay

Sound Mixing:

“Black Panther”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“First Man”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born”

Production Design:

“Black Panther,” Hannah Beachler
“First Man,” Nathan Crowley, Kathy Lucas
“The Favourite,” Fiona Crombie, Alice Felton
“Mary Poppins Returns,” John Myhre, Gordon Sim
“Roma,” Eugenio Caballero, Bárbara Enrı́quez

Original Score:

“BlacKkKlansman,” Terence Blanchard
“Black Panther,” Ludwig Goransson
“If Beale Street Could Talk,” Nicholas Britell
“Isle of Dogs,” Alexandre Desplat
“Mary Poppins Returns,” Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman

Original Song:

“All The Stars” from “Black Panther” by Kendrick Lamar, SZA
“I’ll Fight” from “RBG” by Diane Warren, Jennifer Hudson
“The Place Where Lost Things Go” from “Mary Poppins Returns” by Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman
“Shallow” from “A Star Is Born” by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando, Andrew Wyatt and Benjamin Rice
“When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings” from “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” by David Rawlings and Gillian Welch

Makeup and Hair:

“Border”
“Mary Queen of Scots”
“Vice”

Costume Design:

“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs,” Mary Zophres
“Black Panther,” Ruth E. Carter
“The Favourite,” Sandy Powell
“Mary Poppins Returns,” Sandy Powell
“Mary Queen of Scots,” Alexandra Byrne

Visual Effects:

“Avengers: Infinity War”
“Christopher Robin”
“First Man”
“Ready Player One”
“Solo: A Star Wars Story”

Black Panther getting nominated for Best Picture and "When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings" are pleasant surprises. The acting categories are hilarious, though. At least Aparicio got nominated.

Vice getting the amount of nominations it's gotten is pretty brutal. Christian Bale should have gotten in and that's it.

Of the Best Picture field I've not seen Roma (waiting to see it in theaters once it's back there for some limited release or other in the coming month), A Star is Born, and about half of Bohemian Rhapsody. Feels like a weird, relatively bad field this year, though the Buster Scruggs song getting in rules and I'd love for it to get a proper ridiculous stage performance since between Lady Gaga and Kendrick Lamar there's absolutely no way they're not actually doing Best Original Song performances.

It's been a crazy underwhelming year for the Oscars. Like, there's a few nice things in there, but it's all a bit meh, especially since the Academy is always going to recognise a certain type of film. Very pleased about Pawel Pawlikowski's nominated though, Cold War is a beautiful film. Also a little victory that two directors have been nominated for directing foreign language films - I guess that's one thing that's positive. 

13 hours ago, livid said:

I love (:rolleyes:) that nerds spent years maligning the Oscars for not recognizing comic book movies and then Black Panther gets nominated and it's "not good enough". 

Which is crazy, because didn’t Black Panther have the most nominations this year?

1 hour ago, Josh to the World said:

What gets me is that for all those nominations, there are none for the actors, nor the director. Which would be well-deserved. But nope.

That MBJ didn't get nominated for Best Supporting Actor while Sam Rockwell did for his absolute horseshit of a Bush is just laughable. Rockwell was shit, and I love Sam Rockwell. '

In fact, all of Vice is pretty shit. I find it hilarious it's got into basically all the award categories (Amy Adams as basically the same shit we've seen a billion times? Bale because he got fat? Not to mention Adam McKay for directing basically the same shit he did with the Big Short when Ryan Coogler, Josephine Decker, Damien Chazelle or Barry Jenkins are making works or art and actually reinventing cinema in their respective ways). 

Just hilarious. Oh, let's not forget that for some reason Bohemian Rhapsody can now deem itself nominated for Best Film for some reason I have yet to comprehend.

Caught up with this thread and I'm a bit late to the party with the best war movie discussion but I need to throw a few names into the hat.

Taegukgi (Brotherhood) - South Korean movie about two brothers being swept into the Korean war. It's excellent and should be viewed by anyone who has even a fleeting interest in war movies. 

Downfall - One of the most tense and gripping war movies I have ever seen. It's sort of a shame that a certain scene has been turned into an internet meme, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Bruno Ganz's portrayal of Adolf Hitler is nothing short of sensational. 

Band of Brothers - I know it's technically a TV series, but it's easily my favourite World War 2 related movie/TV thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Band of Brothers - I know it's technically a TV series, but it's easily my favourite World War 2 related movie/TV thing. 

The episode when they liberate a concentration camp? Not ashamed to admit I teared up watching it.

21 minutes ago, MDK said:

The episode when they liberate a concentration camp? Not ashamed to admit I teared up watching it.

Happens to me every time, as well as the very last comment from Capt. Winters (the real one) on the last episode. Without fail I tear up. 

36 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Happens to me every time, as well as the very last comment from Capt. Winters (the real one) on the last episode. Without fail I tear up. 

I can't remember what was said. Don't remind me though, I'll probably rewatch it soon enough.

The bit when they have to put the people back in the camp is just too much for me.

4 more men have come out with sexual assault allegations against Bryan Singer.

Well, this morning a report emerged not in Esquire, but in The Atlantic, and its thorough investigation into Singer’s history of seducing and sexually assaulting underage boys comes backed by 12 months of investigative journalism and more than 50 sources. It also includes accounts from four men who have never spoken about their experiences with the director before.

One survivor recalls being molested on the set of Singer’s film Apt Pupil at the age of 13. Others recall consensual sex with Singer at Hollywood parties when they were 17 and 15, respectively, with each noting that Singer knew they were not of the age of consent at the time. The piece also touches on the culture of misconduct that ensconced Singer. Several of the survivors talk about being “passed around” like “party favors” for the adult men in Singer’s circle. One account suggests that the late actor Brad Renfro, who starred in Apt Pupil when he was a teenager, was also preyed upon by Singer as a child.

“He would stick his hands down your pants without your consent,” one survivor recalls. “He was predatory in that he would ply people with alcohol and drugs and then have sex with them.”

Here's the link to The Atlantic's story.

Also, fwiw, Rami Malek's saying he knew nothing of the allegations against Singer when he signed on to / was filming Bohemian Rhapsody.