The Mass Effect Thread

Benji

A word of warning if anyone does a NG+ game.  There is a glitch that kicks in at level 61, but fixes itself at level 71, that means no weapon/mod/armor shops will have anything for sale.  Special items will appear, but thats about it

Spoiler

Drack: "[To Peebee] Why all the Smudge over your eyes? Trying to be some kind of superhero?"

Peebee: "[Mocking] Why all the bones? Trying to be some kind of super villain?"

Drack: "[Without a second thought] Yes."

Peebee: "[Entirely sincerely] Coooooooool."

:lol: Only a minor convo spoiler, but God damnit Peebee is the best combo with everyone.

• Like 2

Memory triggers finale:

Spoiler

I was a little let down by that. What with the dates and everything I had already assumed all of that stuff about it being a last resort from the Reapers, and I had an inkling that Ryder's mum would by cryogenically frozen too. I was expecting some bigger revelation I hadn't seen. The Benefactor remains a mystery, which I'm assuming will come into play soon. I'd guess Illusive Man must be behind it, but Cerberus was anti-alien, so if that were the case I would have assumed it would be human purity arks.

Movie night finale was amazing.

Going to run through the romances tomorrow before the finale. I liked Suvi most early on, but she's not really had any development since, so I've cooled on her a lot. Now I'm torn between Jaal and Peebee. Jaal is so sweet, but Peebee is hilarious.

9 hours ago, Dan said:

I waited 'til the patch to start playing this properly but I'm having a blast. Only playing it an hour here and there but it's much better than the internet made out.

It's a solid 7/10 for me. I think it would probably be an 8/10 but for the amount of bugs/glitches I have encountered that have forced me to go back to a previous save/autosave.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dan said:

I waited 'til the patch to start playing this properly but I'm having a blast. Only playing it an hour here and there but it's much better than the internet made out.

2 hours ago, Benji said:

It's a solid 7/10 for me. I think it would probably be an 8/10 but for the amount of bugs/glitches I have encountered that have forced me to go back to a previous save/autosave.

Well EA and BioWare hyped the game as a revolution in story telling and video gaming, and then the AAA game was nowhere near as polished or as revolutionary as they made out to be, so there was a backlash. And i've said it before, in a game about story and interaction they botched up the interaction part quite badly when they released a game with dead eyes and emotionless faces.

If you look at the budget they splurged on the game, and it being a AAA game by a major developer with lots of experience, and a game that's sold at full pricing, then as a fan you can get a bit pissy when they deliver an unpolished game with amateurish elements.

I mean, if anyone was buying into EA hype machine at this point, I'd say the disappointment is more on them. It's not as good as I hoped, but it's definitely not bad. But then anything other than a 5 star return to form was probably always going to be a massive let down for most people.

I do despise the character graphics though, much like Dragon Age, everyone looks way too shiny and weird, and the hair in Frostbite is still the most unnatural in all video games.

So I finished it over the weekend and I feel very satisfied. The ending is good and sets up a lot (DLC and sequel) and I had a blast playing it. Sure it isn't perfect but I loved it for what it was. Got some random side-quests still to do but I'm going to wait until DLC before picking them up, if I even do because I might end up starting a new game.

Decided to go back to ME2 and complete that and ME3 just so I can keep up my nostalgia trip.

15 minutes ago, TMM said:

So I finished it over the weekend and I feel very satisfied. The ending is good and sets up a lot (DLC and sequel) and I had a blast playing it. Sure it isn't perfect but I loved it for what it was. Got some random side-quests still to do but I'm going to wait until DLC before picking them up, if I even do because I might end up starting a new game.

Decided to go back to ME2 and complete that and ME3 just so I can keep up my nostalgia trip.

*Saren stands in the corner, a single tear rolling down his cheek*

• Like 1

So I have played a bunch of the game, (finished first main planet). And I don't recall them even mentioning anything that had happened in the original trilogy. Will this continue, because it's kinda jarring that they do mention stuff like Ryder's dad being N7 and fighting in the first contact war and being an all-round badass mofo who also invents an AI in his spare time. But they've not yet mentioned any sort of reaper, collector, star child, or Saren. Even the Geth get only passing remarks.

I'm about 13 hours in and loving the game so far :D 

2 hours ago, Benji said:

They left the Milky Way before ME3. Most that info was not public at that time.

I got the impression the initiative departs the Milky Way even before the first game because...

Spoiler

When you hear recordings of Liara, she is still doing archaeology so presumably has not met Shepherd and friends yet. 

On 4/19/2017 at 07:43, Benji said:

I mean, if anyone was buying into EA hype machine at this point, I'd say the disappointment is more on them. It's not as good as I hoped, but it's definitely not bad. But then anything other than a 5 star return to form was probably always going to be a massive let down for most people.

tumblr_mjb4wsDBzb1s5pz2zo1_500.jpg

• Like 2

Finished it at the weekend. The ending was...

Spoiler

... a little underwhelming. Once again they missed out on a big boss battle in favour of panic and chaos from loads of enemies. Irked me a lot because that was my biggest complaint about the original ending for ME3. Having said that, I learned my lesson from the original trilogy, and enjoyed the journey and not the ending. The journey was fun, if a little buggy, and the crew were great. I wound up with Peebee, because she is by far the best. Sticking by my firm 7/10.

I do wonder what consequences me agreeing to use The Primus' code will be. I think I may have made a major mistake there judging from the credits scene :(

• Like 2

Ok I liked James Gunn before...but now...:wub:

• Like 2