The Mass Effect Thread

Benji

It doesn't sound like the series is on hold you're right, I thought another announcement had been made.

The fact they just make such a bold faced lie about the patches being the last planned update pisses me off. Since when has EA of all companies not tried to squeeze every single penny out of people that they possibly can? There was absolutely single-player DLC planned, they've just bottled it.

5 hours ago, Kaney said:

Jesus has their stock dropped that much? Mass Effect was one of my favourite modern franchises, I haven't got round to Andromeda yet but it can't be that bad surely? Is it even worth playing it now? :/

The technical problems out of the gate kinda killed it. Even playing it after the fact it just didn't feel right and after getting past the opening bit and having some choices I felt zero motivation like I did in the other games to actually do anything about it. They're too focused on Anthem at the moment to care.

I am so pissed at their handling of this. Despite any technical shortcomings I always get invested in Bioware games and them just scrapping everything makes me lose a lot of faith in them. Plus Anthem seems like the same Destiny style garbage I hate. Not much to look forward to from them for a long while I guess

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davidmarrio said:

I just read that article as "there's going to be no single player dlc or anything additional" for this game rather than them scrapping the whole trilogy?

It doesn't, but I'd say it's safe to read between the lines. There will probably be more Mass Effect, but the fact the additional content isn't even going forward is basically a noose for any chance of a direct continuation of that particular arc.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I really want to replay these with all the DLC. But the only two options I have is either getting the DLC on Microsoft Live where I'd have to pay over 70 bucks for the story DLC it or getting Origins (which I don't want) and shell out 95 bucks for the trilogy + the 2 DLC bundles which include a lot of stuff I don't even want. Why are EA so shitty when it comes to Mass Effect DLC? Why did they never release a Goty Edition for 2 and 3 like they did for the Dragon Age trilogy?  

• 8 months later...

So I finally bought this game. Got it for about 5 or 6 bucks at the PSN march sale. Just finished the final mission. I'd say it's a solid 7/10 for me. The technical stuff didn't bother me too much. Yes, it didn't look as good as other games that came out around the same time even with all the updates that they eventually rolled out. But I can look past that if the story is good, which it was. What really brought the game down for me were all the generic open world shenanigans. Big worlds that look pretty but feel empty and there is usually nothing to do but tedious and repetitive busy work. The day that this open world fad finally goes away can't come soon enough. Then there all the loose ends that will never be tied up because this was supposed to be the first part of another trilogy that will likely never happen. Stuff like the benefactor and Garson's murder, the history of the Jardaan, the other arks or Ryder's mom. The combat was fine but overall a bit too chaotic for my taste. I enjoyed the story a lot. The Angarans are a very interesting race and the Kett formidable villains even if they are just an organic version of the Borg without the hive mind. The best part of this game by far is the crew and their loyalty missions. I love all of them and their interactions. Not one boring character among them. Even driving around the empty open worlds is made more fun by hearing them bicker. Especially Peebee and Dreck. Or Peebee and Jaal. Or Peebee and Vetra. Peebee is probably my favorite and I would've romanced her if I hadn't already decided to flirt with Suvi and didn't want to break her heart. I like them even more than my Normandy crew. But then again I haven't gone back to the original trilogy since ME3 came out. So my opinion might be a bit different if I had replayed the original trilogy recently and everything that happened there was still fresh in my mind. The ending was a bit anticlimactic but makes sense if you keep in mind that this was supposed to set up another trilogy. I would've liked to have a big boss fight but the lack of it didn't bother me too much. And, as it has been already pointed out here, in the end the Archon is just a dude who doesn't even have full support from his superiors. Although the fight against the architect controlled by him probably would have been more impactful if I hadn't already beaten 4 of them by that point. Overall the game is nowhere near as bad as it was made out to be. But I guess if you have to follow up one of the most beloved trilogies in gaming history the deck is automatically stacked against you. And if you then mess up the launch like Bioware did with Andromeda backlash is inevitable. I'd still recommend this to every Mass Effect fan. 

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

During a recent earnings call EA confirmed that they are working on an HD remaster. Technology website VentureBeat claims that EA confirmed they're remastering the Mass Effect trilogy. EA hasn't confirmed anything yet.

If it happens I hope that they'll include all the DLC. 

• Like 1

They'll have the DLC, that would be insanity if they didn't include them in the bundle.

And the rumor is it won't launch for the Switch, but they have plans for it to be on there.

Wait, one of the characters in Andromeda is actually named Peebee? Holy shit. I thought that was a joke.

I still have it on my backlog but please tell me there aren't other characters with names that sound like they spend Thanksgiving with their cousin, Jar Jar Binks.

• 1 month later...