The Mass Effect Thread

Benji

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Subject Delta said:

Mako aside, I forgot how fun the first game is. I've always held the second as the series gold standard and outside my initial feelings on the end of the third felt that was a great game too, but the first really is just great fun.

The first one has always been my favourite of the series. The whole build up to the showdown with Saren, the mystery behind what exactly the reapers are etc, I think its the best crew as well. I don't remember much about the gameplay itself as in combat or whatever but I know that at least improved in the sequels.

I'd love to replay the series remastered but theres just so much about them to do and I'm in a sort of burnout place with massive open world games right now. I'd love to say I could just play the first as it's my favourite but we all know you can't just play one >_<

My favorite game was the second. Shepard essentially being sort of undercover, then you having to manage which team mates to use for specific parts of the finale to succeed. But, 3's multiplayer was awesome.

3 was released before it was truly finished, and the ending choices sucked. The additional ending they patched on, along with better epilogue cutscenes, meant if you finished you had to either load an old save or play the game through again. And the new ending choice wasn't really a whole lot better than the others.

Still to this day have not played Andromeda.

I want a Mass Effect MMO.....

Edited by GhostMachine

I'll be interested to read what people think of Mass Effect 3 when they play or replay it. I remember enjoying it until the end sequence, but, unlike the previous two games, I haven't felt compelled to play it again in the nine years since it released.

The first game is the one I've replayed the greatest number of times, and that's partly because it's the shortest. The combat was clunky even by 2007's standards, but I wasn't all that bothered because I was a Bioware fan who liked its games for their characters and worlds. Honestly, 2's gameplay improvements didn't bother me all that much because, again, choices, exploration and narrative were my big draws.

I bought the first game on Steam, 2 and 3 on CD-Rom (so I got the extra content, but not the higher-end versions). I've only played the first twice. And that's precisely because the combat system is the weakest. 

My gripe with the extra content pay for DLC is that new characters should not have been content you had to pay for. Gear and missions, yes. Characters, no. I've never bought the content that included Kasumi Goto or Javik, but have Zaeed because he was included in the version of the second game that I bought as bonus content for paying for that particular version. Not buying him later.

Edited by GhostMachine

I've had an xbox giftcard since Christmas without any idea what to get with it.  Might go for this, as there still isn't really anything on the horizon for Xbox.

55 minutes ago, apsham said:

Nothing like that on my end - could it be the controller itself?

I don't think so? I was playing Yakuza 5 last night and Battle Chasers over the past week with no issues. 

Finished the first one last night. Such a good game. Way too much mako which essentially acts as filler, especially if you want 100% of your mission and assignment resolution.

Spoiler

Romanced Liara and had Kaidan live, which is the opposite of my first game. Kept council alive same as my first game but made Anderson our leader since we are going to eat whereas I let Udina stay in charge in my original.

Now onto Mass Effect 2: Suicide Squad!

15 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

Has anyone been having issues on the Xbox Series X? My wife is having issues with the controller no longer responding after quick resume. 

Funny you mention controller issues - I'm on PS5, and installed the new update. Booted up the game, exited the Mako to survey a mineral... X wouldn't work. Tried to get back into the Mako... X wouldn't work. Tried other buttons - nothing worked besides Start to get to the menu. I had to load the quick save and then it worked just fine. Then maybe 5 minutes later, same thing happened.

Oddly enough, so far it's only happened on 2 planets that happen to have Thrasher Maws somewhere. I've went to two other planets, and it didn't happen. It's weird.

Edited by tristy

New expediation in No Mans Sky add the SSV Normandy SR1 to player fleet

You can't use it, but can send it out on missions.  Based onthe comments, it could be fairly easy for a new player to breeze through it in a few hours

Finally got to Mass Effect 2 last night, and the difference in 1 and 2 are like night and day. I'm glad to be done with the fucking Mako, and the controls for the sequel are so much better than in the first. And no more sacrificing style for substance when it comes to armor, since ME2 has customization features. I always loved how this game (and the third, I believe) had the split second Renegade/Paragon choices during cutscenes (in addition to being dialogue options).

Not super hyped about which weapons I get to use based on my character's class and whatnot, but I went a different route with my FemShep based on the storyline of ME2 (no spoilers, just in case). Looks like I'll be mainly using a fuckin' pistol and the shotgun - the machine gun pistol is still horrible, just like I remember.

• Like 2

So I was one of the holdouts from the guy who stole Wrex families' armor, and as soon as I would approach the holdout and the gunfire would start the game would crash. And any save I made near the holdout turned out to be corrupted. What fixed it for me was was that in the main menu where you select which Mass Effect part to play you have to select 'start' instead of 'resume' and load your last save manually. 

I also once experienced the issue that I could not re-enter the Marko and interact with anything. It happened after the latest patch. To fix that I just hade to make a save and then to load the save. 

I'm playing on a standard PS4 btw. 

Correction: The holdout had nothing to do with Wrex mission. It was part of the Asari Diplomacy side mission. The fix still works though.

Edited by Hellraiser

lmou79xo9o171.png

• Like 1