The Mass Effect Thread

Benji

Destroy is canon? Boooooooo. My Shep would have never done that to Joker.

• 1 month later...

We might be able to replay the Mass Effect trilogy as soon as March! Eurogamer reports that vendors in Singapore and Indonesia had the release date of Mass Effect Legendary Edition listed as March 12th and they believe that this release date is accurate. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-01-11-looks-like-mass-effect-legendary-edition-launches-in-march#comments

• 3 weeks later...

Release date is May 14th. Blech. It won't be just a graphical update, they did gameplay updates as well. Especially for the first game. Reading the website I get the impression that they basically remade the first game. It features all the DLC except the Pinnacle Station DLC for ME1. That one was also missing from the PS3 port of the original game because the source data was corrupted or something. So it won't be available in the Legendary Edition either. 

https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effect/mass-effect-legendary-edition/overview?setLocale=en-us

Edit: Apparently there is also a 150$ Legendary Cache edition with a special steel case, a 1:1 scale replica helmet, a canvas art paint and a N7 acceptance letter. But it doesn't include the actual game. Because of course it doesn't. Gotta love EA. 

Edited by Hellraiser

Those sections were a bit of a pain. I never had as much of a problem with the first Mass Effect's gameplay as some other people did, but it's still nice to see that it's being given a touch-up.

It's also interesting to read that they're altering Mass Effect 3's "Galactic Readiness" system to compensate for the lack of online multiplayer. That's welcome news in my book.

In my head I really liked the Mako and the sense of exploration in 1. Maybe revisiting it now would reveal it's not as I remembered or it doesn't hold up but it was just cool to drive around on the planets, run enemies down, find little outposts with more enemies and loot. Then you get to 2 and all you have is the probe system which just seemed a bit cold and lifeless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

It's also interesting to read that they're altering Mass Effect 3's "Galactic Readiness" system to compensate for the lack of online multiplayer. That's welcome news in my book.

That is great. I hated that EA forced you to play multiplayer to get the perfect ending back in the day. 

57 minutes ago, YuKing CornEllis said:

In my head I really liked the Mako and the sense of exploration in 1. Maybe revisiting it now would reveal it's not as I remembered or it doesn't hold up but it was just cool to drive around on the planets, run enemies down, find little outposts with more enemies and loot. Then you get to 2 and all you have is the probe system which just seemed a bit cold and lifeless.

I agree, same for me. I like the look of the remasters and I love the series in general (even enjoyed Andromeda) but I don't know if I could bring myself to commit to something as huge as ME again.

So during scenes featuring Miranda in ME2 the camera was often focused on her ass. Even during serious conversations when she talks about her traumatic childhood. In an interview with the project director of the Legendary Edition, he said that they changed the camera angle on those scenes. That is all they changed. The camera angels. And you already have gamers acting like this is somehow the fall of western civilization and that the remastered collection has been ruined because of this. 

Edited by Hellraiser

On 02/02/2021 at 12:19, Bobfoc said:

Pinnacle Station wasn't very good anyway, so I wouldn't miss it.

This sounds as if it could be a good package. Let's hope it works properly.

Funny thing is, Pinnacle Station was the only thing that gave me a challenge in the latter half of the game.

At least now we don't have that minor plot hole of Shep having an entire *vacation planet* to themselves which never gets brought up again.

• 3 months later...

Happy release day! 

For those interested, the Xbox file sizes are approx 26 Gb, 30 Gb and 36 Gb per game. When you start the download it will download ME1 only to start with. When you boot the legendary edition front end you can manually select to download Me2 and ME3 from there. 

I'm probably going to bite the bullet and buy it next week despite needing another launcher. I've always heard good things about the series but I've never played it. I hope that I get that first time feeling even though I've always read that the ending of the third on is horrible.