The Mass Effect Thread

Benji

But it made absolutely no sense from a narrative standpoint! The main conflict of the series has been the fight of Shepard against the Reapers. Then in the last 15 minutes of the game the writers suddenly pull an entirely new conflict out of their asses that, as Bobfoc put it, was completely at odds with all that had come before it.

And the logic of the Space Magic Kid made no sense as well. So every time a civilization manages to create synthetic life, it always ends up revolting against it's ceators. To stop that circle of destruction we'll have to wipe out that civilization along with every other civilization.

1. That's like telling your SO that you love them end never want them to get hurt and to guarantee that you will cause a nuclear holocaust to wipe out humanity.

2. They stop an endless circle of destruction by creating another endless circle of destruction. This doesn't solve the problem. It only creates more problems!

2. In my playthrough I have proven that this conflict can be solved. That there can be peace between synthetic lifeforms and their creators. I got bot Geth and Quarians on my side. Not only that, I encouraged the pilot of my ship to have a relationship with a synthetic lifeform. But apparently that counts for nothing. That is what I mean when I say my choices don't count. I've destroyed the entire hypothesis that led to the creation of the Reapers. But it doesn't matter. I know they couldn't have taken every action I've made every game into account when writing the ending. But if the main antagonist of the game tells me that I have no choice but to play by it's rules because of reasons but I can prove him wrong I at least want the option to bring that up.

It's a bad ending. The outrage that it cause was WAY too over the top and nobody deserves to get death threats, or any kind of threats for that matter, because of it. But it is nevertheless a bad ending.

Edited by Hellraiser

Things I didn't like about the Mass Effect franchise as a whole:

The first game's ammo system.

Team members should not be DLC that you have to pay for. I'm referring to Kasumi Goto.

Doing `I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite store on the Citadel' at multiple stores in the second game should have had consequences in the third.

None of the three endings for ME3 are all that great, because Shepard is screwed no matter what. In fact, the Control and Do Nothing endings outright suck. 

Multiplayer should have had more of an effect on the single player game. 

And my huge ass gripe about ME3 multiplayer: you have to be lucky as hell, spend a lot of money, or have no damn life to get all the classes unlocked and most of the best gear. I played a shit ton, never got all the characters unlocked, and had shitty luck with gear more often than not the last month or two that I played it with any regularity. I never got the Geth Juggernaut, Cabal; or Talon Mercenary unlocked (there are more, but those are off the top of my head) as far as characters go, and I never unlocked a few weapons including the Geth Spitfire. Also, a few weapons are next to unusable unless you're right on top of the enemy or crouched. Using the N7 Piranha, N7 Hurricane and the Kishock Harpoon Gun all gave me fits. I had better luck using the Kishock at close range rather than as a sniper rifle.

• Like 1

My biggest issue with ME3's ending following the "fix" - where was my boss fight?

Like, I've been built up for three games, and the best you can give me is running through London shooting (admitedly a lot of) shit?

Where's my Illusive Man/Human-Reaper hybrid final super boss to defeat, God damnit? Is Marauder Shields really the best you can do?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Benji said:

My biggest issue with ME3's ending following the "fix" - where was my boss fight?

Like, I've been built up for three games, and the best you can give me is running through London shooting (admitedly a lot of) shit?

Where's my Illusive Man/Human-Reaper hybrid final super boss to defeat, God damnit? Is Marauder Shields really the best you can do?

Always remember.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd really prefer it if a reviewer this year actually gets through the story endgame, and not just gets through 25% and gives it a great score before everyone flips their shit because the ending is a steaming pile of shit...

Mass Effect 3 was hailed as an absolute gem in every way, but we all know how much the fandom lost its shit over three flavours of star-child.

54 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

I'd really prefer it if a reviewer this year actually gets through the story endgame, and not just gets through 25% and gives it a great score before everyone flips their shit because the ending is a steaming pile of shit...

Mass Effect 3 was hailed as an absolute gem in every way, but we all know how much the fandom lost its shit over three flavours of star-child.

ME3 was great, the ending was shit, but it didn't ruin the journey itself in retrospect.