The Mass Effect Thread

Benji

2 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

I'm a huge Mass Effect fan, but I want to hear more about multiplayer before I even consider buying it. 

That's interesting to me. Do you mean that you see multiplayer as an important component or that you don't like it and want to avoid a return to the Mass Effect 3 model of having multiplayer influence the single player story?

The latter. I liked the multiplayer in 3, but didn't like it having anything to do with the story. 

(I also hated that I never unlocked certain weapons and characters because I kept getting the same old shit from packs....)

14 minutes ago, Kaney said:

How were they related? I've genuinely forgotten.

I'm well hyped for this but not sure how much time I can sink into it right away.

You were trying to get your forces to a certain readiness before the final Alien attack. It was impossible to get 100% without playing multi a bunch

You had to do mulitplayer to even get resources over 50% readiness, if I remember right.

*edited to add* I rarely did mutilplayer higher than the first two levels of difficulty. Too many bad experiences - ie, idiots with no clue - when going higher. I only ever managed to finish one highest difficulty multiplayer, and we won by the skin of our teeth. It was against Geth, but I don't remember which map. I just know for sure it wasn't the reactor one.

My favorite class for multiplayer was Infiltrator, with Adept and Vanguard tied for second.

Edited by GhostMachine

Actually, i liked busting out Sabotage against Cerberus mechs and the Geth. Not only got them to shoot their own people, but also got credit for it. 

Drell Assassin was also good to play, because of the recon mines and homing grenades. The N7 Destroyer was pretty good, also. 

My one regret is that I never got the Geth Juggernaut unlocked. Multiplayer ME3 is still going on, but I quit playing regularly a long time ago, and I've only played a couple of times over the last two years.

16 hours ago, Benji said:

I think the one think I'm disappointed with in Andromeda is that you're still a human. Like, I'm sure the characters will be great, but one thing I love about DA is exploring how the world treats different races.

I'm with you on that. I'd love to play a Drell or a Turian. Hell, if they ever make a ME MMO (probably won't happen), I'd make a Turian first thing, if possible.

The only races I've no desire to try are Asari and Krogan. I don't play a Klingon in Star Trek Online, so why would I want to play a big lizard rip-off in another game? 

I think the difference was a slight thing, like one person died off screen during the last bit in London... which was moot anyway because everyone got fucked essentially. 

I still maintain that it was one of the greatest endings to a game I've experienced and it went over most peoples heads. That said, I did have a massive issue with the lack or prologue (which they did correct).

• Like 1

On 3/3/2017 at 08:14, Colly said:

I never played multiplayer at all in 3 and still finished it, did I miss anything story wise? Feels like I got the same three endings that everyone whinged about...

if you played multiplayer and you got readiness to 100% you got an extra scene after the regular ending. You see the rubble of what supposedly is earth. In the rubble you see the body of someone with heavily damaged armor and an N7 tag who appears to be dead. Suddenly that person inhales sharply. It is never explicitly stated who that person is but most fans just figured that it is supposed to be Shepard who somehow survived. Other than that there were no changes. Everyone is still fucked as the Mass Relays still get destroyed. That is if you haven't installed the extended cut of the ending. I have no idea if the galactic readiness level affects the extended cut.

Edited by Hellraiser

If you don't have the extended cut installed, you should get it. Because they also added a new ending choice: Don't do anything. 

And if I remember right, galactic readiness level doesn't affect the extended cut, beyond the extra scene it adds without it. 

Do you think the Mass Effect 3 ending would've been better received if the extended cut was the was the normal ending instead of being a DLC? The choices we made throughout the 3 games still wouldn't have mattered, the motivation of the Reapers and the logic of the genocidal Deus Ex Machina holograph kid still would've made no sense and you still only have the 3 recoloured cut scenes but at least we get to know that the non-human species aren't fucked after the Mass Relays get destroyed. We learn a bit more about what happened to civilization after we made our choice. It's not much but it's something.

I still think it would have been very badly received. I wasn't too bothered by the limited choice of ending, but revealing that everything was being controlled by a magic space child was completely at odds with all that had come before it. At risk of sounding like one of the troglodytes who sent death threats to Bioware, I thought the Indoctrination Theory was a lot more interesting.

• Like 1

I loved the ending and though it was genius.

For me, the first time I realised I loved Mass Effect and something set it apart from other games was in the first game when you choose the fate of the Rachni Queen. Play it safe and make a whole race extinct, or do the 'right thing' but potentially put the rest of the universe at risk further down the line. Such a tough decision which was so morally grey with potentially awful ramifications is what made me fall in love with the series. So fast forward to the end of the trilogy and the last thing you have to do is make an essentially impossible decision, it blew me away and really messed with me in the best kind of way. 

As I said, lack of epilogue was annoying, but they corrected that anyway. As for decisions in the series not mattering? They absolutely did. There is no way every little thing could have influenced one ending scene, it's way too complex. The choices mattered and the results of which were seen throughout the third game, where everything was resolved on the way to that final scene.  

I understand why people didn't like it, but I don't think it deserved how much negativity it got.

• Like 1