General Gaming Thread

TKz

2 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Wasn’t sure where to put this, but can anyone more technologically-savvy than me recommend this laptop as a decent purchase to run fairly modern games at least comfortably at medium graphics etc?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-256gb-ssd-obsidian-black/6413246.p?skuId=6413246

Mainly I need a new laptop to run Football Manager and Fire Pro. :shifty:

My hubby bought this one. My feedback to him was that it is good for a gaming laptop, but you are lacking the real capabilities of a gaming PC. 8 gigs of ram is fine. Your graphics card is fine, but a budget graphic cards. It should be fine to play most games. 

My only feedback for is the darn thing gets REALLY hot and it says the battery life is 10 hours, but that is a lie. I played Jackbox on Zoom with my family and the battery was drained quite quickly. 

4 hours ago, tristy said:

I have a feeling this one is going to be a bit more difficult to 100% than Spider-Man 2018, though. 100 hit combo trophy? Fuck outta here.

I actually got it in the combat challenge where you need to try not to take a hit. Didn't even realise till it popped so it's definitely not that difficult.

1 hour ago, RPS said:

My hubby bought this one. My feedback to him was that it is good for a gaming laptop, but you are lacking the real capabilities of a gaming PC. 8 gigs of ram is fine. Your graphics card is fine, but a budget graphic cards. It should be fine to play most games. 

My only feedback for is the darn thing gets REALLY hot and it says the battery life is 10 hours, but that is a lie. I played Jackbox on Zoom with my family and the battery was drained quite quickly. 

Ok, that sounds good. I’m not going to be wanting to play the latest games at highest graphics anyway, mainly slightly older ones.

Luckily I have a cooling fan tray I can use if it gets too hot.

1 hour ago, Kaney said:

I actually got it in the combat challenge where you need to try not to take a hit. Didn't even realise till it popped so it's definitely not that difficult.

Speaking of the challenges... I am so bad at this game. The combat ones and traversal, a few silvers but mostly bronze.

1 hour ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Ok, that sounds good. I’m not going to be wanting to play the latest games at highest graphics anyway, mainly slightly older ones.

Luckily I have a cooling fan tray I can use if it gets too hot.

Addendum: It's good, here's what I do if it was me buying:

RAM kit here is 16 GB, same speed as what your prospective laptop is working with ATM. Simple enough to swap everything out.

Also, a 256 GB SSD might be too small for comfort since I'm assuming it's the sole drive in the laptop and factoring in the operating system doesn't leave a terribly large amount of space to store stuff.

I dunno, a 1 TB SATA SSD to go alongside what it already comes with isn't too badly priced at the moment.

So all in all, a total layout of $850-900 isn't that bad.

• Like 2

re: running hot, you might want to see if the computer has some built-in performance booster that's making it do so. The gaming laptop I bought earlier this year had it and turning it off made it go from 90c to a much more acceptable 55c when playing a game.

That being said, for Fire Pro and FM the setup is pretty good. I echo what Barracuda says abut the RAM and and SSD as you'll have room for maybe one or two 'big' games while still having storage for other things with 256.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I am absolutely already looking at other hard drives to install, I saw that it has an extra slot for just that purpose. To start with, it’ll only really have FM and graphics on anyway.

RAM is something I’ll upgrade at some point, probably not straight away though.

@OctoberRavenWhere would I find the performance booster settings? 

Unfortunately I wouldn't know for sure, as mine is a Lenovo. Google tells me you'd be looking for the Acer Control Center, though.

5 hours ago, Kaney said:

Is that the one on the rooftop? I actually had to turn the difficulty to fucking easy (from the hardest) just to pass it. I'm a little rusty with the timing and mechanics of the Spider-Man game(s), so maybe that's why. But yeah I think the highest combo I've had so far was in the mid-60s or something. Looking at the trophies, that'll probably be my hardest one to get.

I love the game, but it is basically Spider-Man 2018 with a fresh coat of paint for the new generation of Playstation. I mean there's literally a side mission where you're catching pigeons again.

It does feel very samey. I hope if they do a third they do Spider-Gwen and do it in her reality so it can be a more different map. It's still NYC but being an alt universe from a comic with a different kind of art style would give them an excuse to make some real big changes to it.

9 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Wasn’t sure where to put this, but can anyone more technologically-savvy than me recommend this laptop as a decent purchase to run fairly modern games at least comfortably at medium graphics etc?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-256gb-ssd-obsidian-black/6413246.p?skuId=6413246

Mainly I need a new laptop to run Football Manager and Fire Pro. :shifty:

I have this same one, that I got from Best Buy last Black Friday. I love it and I can run everything on it. Granted, I don't play the highest, most crazy graphic games, but I can run a dozen or so leagues of FM and it runs absolutely fine. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tristy said:

Is that the one on the rooftop? I actually had to turn the difficulty to fucking easy (from the hardest) just to pass it. I'm a little rusty with the timing and mechanics of the Spider-Man game(s), so maybe that's why. But yeah I think the highest combo I've had so far was in the mid-60s or something. Looking at the trophies, that'll probably be my hardest one to get.

I love the game, but it is basically Spider-Man 2018 with a fresh coat of paint for the new generation of Playstation. I mean there's literally a side mission where you're catching pigeons again.

That's why I can't get my head round why they've put it out at full price, including on PS4. Isn't it a good chunk shorter than the original too? I'm waiting until there's a decent price drop.

I paid about 50 I think but that's the PS4 package deal with the PS5 Digital copy.

Been playing Far Cry Primal. The best tactic:

giphy.gif