General Gaming Thread

TKz

Is it hard to avoid spoilers? I’m legit asking. Granted, I don’t visit many places online but are video game spoilers so prominent that you find them even when you aren’t looking?

I just look at the Sony and Xbox thread and see USB’s not working, and people losing their progress, and other several issues with games at launch and I just think it’s so much easier to wait six months and play once they’ve been fixed. I’d rather not pay $60 for a game and it be semi-unplayable for a while. Is it Cyberpunk or another game that’s already said there’s a 40gb update waiting for launch day? I’d rather just wait and get it on sale in a few months with issues fixed.

But Im also the type of person that doesn’t understand those that go out and buy a new iPhone all the time either. Maybe I’m just cheap. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 6

It depends on the game for me. Some games I look forward to, to the point where I decide to go ahead and pre-order. Others  I'd be willing to wait for the price to go down. Cyberpunk falls into the first for me.

Plus I pre-ordered it with holiday moneys so in a way it's an X-Mas present that I already had to wait a whole year to open.

Course most of the ones that fall into the second category for me are first person Nintendo games so the price will probably never go down >.>

Also, on a side note, the other game I preordered around that time, Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 may as well have a picture of Toru Yano shrugging as it's release date for how long it's been delayed. Which is a shame, because I was looking forward to that one even more.

I was actually going to say Nintendo games are the only ones I tend to buy right away (or close to right away). I find they both lack the bugs a lot of AAA games do on launch, tend to not have the same number of add-ons that come later which drives up the overall cost of ownership (though Pokemon may have changed that), and never go on sale anyway. Whereas a 3-4 year old AAA game on the PS4 goes for pennies.

I didn't play Witcher III for years and got the GOTY edition on a Steam sale back at the start of the pandemic for like $20 or something. Obviously a couple items had been spoiled for me but our current media consumption landscape basically gives you a reprieve if you avoid spoilers for a month or two after something comes out. We just cycle through things at an incredible rate. Years ago spoilers (FFVII being famous for it) would crop up for years after a game's release.

Between a busy job and two kids I get far less time for games than I used to, so the PS+ subscription means my backlog is far bigger than I need so I very rarely buy games at all, let alone new ones. Have to say I've never had an issue with coming across spoilers with the exception of the "Mass Effect 3 ending is shit" stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BayOROnetta said:

Also, on a side note, the other game I preordered around that time, Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 may as well have a picture of Toru Yano shrugging as it's release date for how long it's been delayed. Which is a shame, because I was looking forward to that one even more.

Ahw5PDE.jpg

4 hours ago, damshow said:

Years ago spoilers (FFVII being famous for it) would crop up for years after a game's release.

The funny thing is that FFVII spoiled its most famous moment in the television trailers. They didn't even show any gameplay either.

Recently, the game people were going out of their way to reveal spoilers for was The Last of Us Part II. Even then, I don't think I stumbled across anything. Maybe that comes with only having narrow horizons online.

RIP to anyone playing Cyberpunk on a base Xbox One (maybe the regular PS4s too, I'm not sure) - just saw non-spoiler footage of it running on that, and man it doesn't look great at all. Sub 30fps and some outright freezes for a few seconds sometimes.

Games like this or Avengers are really meant for next gen, honestly.

EDIT: The gameplay was on a Xbox One S, apparently. But yeah it was BAD.

Edited by tristy

I mean, we knew there was problems with the master-ports of the console releases, that's why the last delay happened.

All the more reason to support the game at launch, to keep the QA team as intact as possible (as the industry, as a whole, usually hires testers on a temp basis, though I'm not sure if CDPR follows this standard) and promote more support for the game down the line. Like I said, I choose my pre-orders carefully, but this is why I do it more than anything.

On the other hand, the most negative review I've seen basically describes a game like Yakuza 0 as a negative, so I'm not worried.

12 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

The reviews for Cyberpunk 2077 are out. As expected, it seems very much like a game that's better to wait on. There are a lot of "This is good, but..." sentences going around.

Yeah I expected as much. I thought it was quite hyped from what I have seen and heard and I just didn't see it as one of these generation defining games.

Something that's come up more than once is the impression that the game tries too hard to be edgy. Judging by the brief footage I've seen, I'm not very surprised. The characters have been described in some reviews as especially unlikeable too. For all the bleakness in The Witcher, I did like several of the characters, so that's something that concerns me.

What strikes me most is that all the reviews have been for the PC version. With all the reports of the console versions running poorly, that's not a good sign. It's very rare that a multiplatform game isn't reviewed on consoles on at least some sites at the same time as on PC.

tbh I don't put much stock in reviews in general. The Gamespot one I read out of curiosity, and it just felt like they didn't care for open world games that much, something I never quite understood (assigning people to review games of genres they dislike, that is). If you got two food reviewers, one is a vegan and one isn't, which would you send to review the new ribs place?

THAT BEING SAID it being buggy at gold master for PC is a bit disheartening, but not entirely unexpected. Again, that's why QA folks being kept on matters.

At any rate, I had already pre-ordered it anyway, Steam is going to let me pre-download it tommorrow morning and I finished Far Cry Primal (the game in my backlog I had been playing). So I'll probably be jumping in after my post-shift nap Thursday. I'll let you lot know how I feel as I go on.