General Gaming Thread

TKz

I don't care about game scores, but I do pay attention to complaints that pop up in multiple reviews. Certain sites have long been hesitant to criticise big games for fear of being blacklisted by publishers, so negative points are sometimes overlooked or brushed off more liberally than with smaller games. When they're mentioning common issues, it rings a few alarm bells.

However, I put more stock in what people are saying about a game, or indeed any form of popular entertainment, in the weeks following its release. A good few games have reviewed very well, but the buzz around them dies very quickly. On the other hand, I've seen games with mediocre reviews that have gained big followings too. If people are still talking about the great things they've discovered in Cyberpunk weeks down the line, that will be a good indication for me that it's worth a look.

That said, you'll occasionally get a game like The Last of Us: Part II, for which the post-release chat is dominated by arguments that have nothing to do with the game itself.

• Like 4

The thing that's cropped up with Cyberpunk in the reviews is basically the things I thought would be the case anyway in terms of the bugs and the idea of wait on it.

It won't put me off on getting the game but I'd rather wait for the ps5 version where hopefully a lot of issues will have been ironed out on. I can wait longer on something that's been delayed several times 

Preload is available now it seems. The estimate said 30 days at 17kb/s, lol. It's not doing that though, taking about 4 hours. Steam servers must be a bit busy for this.

The reviewers almost all had more positive things to say about the game than negative things. They just weren't all calling it the greatest game ever, which is apparently enough to get people riled up. You have to be especially pathetic to harass someone for not confirming your unrealistic expectations of a game they've played and you haven't.

• Like 5

I believe it was Gamespot that said they had the "Day Zero"/pre-release patch, but not the big 40GB launch day patch. But then there was another outlet (can't remember who) that said they played with the Day One patch. I think even CDPR's PR department said nobody played with the Day One patch.

Granted this is/was leaked gameplay footage on Reddit, so maybe they're just hiding the clips for the PS5/Xbox Series, but from what I saw, the most egregious bugs were on the last generation of consoles. PS4 played a bit better than Xbox One, but it was still very slow moving, lots of clipping, dull graphics, etc. It ran like a fucking champ on the next-gen consoles (60fps supposedly), which tells me this probably should have been a next gen game all along (though I don't know if they could have done that all the way back in 2012 or whatever).

I dunno, either way, I'm only paying $30 for this come tomorrow, so it's whatever.

I'm applying Hanlon's Razor to CDPR, in that they really just made a bad choice in design and not actually malicious. Still, hopefully they'll make a hotfix quick.

Fuck all the assholes who tried to induce a seizure on the author though. And a lesser fuck you to the douchebags who say that adding an accessibility option that makes the lighting safer for epileptic people somehow ruins the game for everyone.

37 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

The reviewers almost all had more positive things to say about the game than negative things. They just weren't all calling it the greatest game ever, which is apparently enough to get people riled up. You have to be especially pathetic to harass someone for not confirming your unrealistic expectations of a game they've played and you haven't.

Welcome to gamers, basically. Same people DDoS'd Jim Sterling's website over a fake review someone made where he gave Super Mario Odyssey a 7/10.

You're right that this isn't anything new. Zelda fans pitch a fit whenever anyone doesn't give the latest game a perfect score too.

Carolyn Petit reviewed Cyberpunk for Polygon. For those who don't know, she's a transgender woman who's been reviewing games for over a decade, and so she's very much in the firing line for anything remotely negative she says about the game. You might remember her Gamespot review of LA Noire, which was criticised on the grounds that "The reviewer's a dude lol". I actually remember someone on here saying the same thing at the time.

EDIT: I looked back and it was more than one person. I think it's safe to say they've grown since then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tristy said:

Granted this is/was leaked gameplay footage on Reddit, so maybe they're just hiding the clips for the PS5/Xbox Series, but from what I saw, the most egregious bugs were on the last generation of consoles. PS4 played a bit better than Xbox One, but it was still very slow moving, lots of clipping, dull graphics, etc. It ran like a fucking champ on the next-gen consoles (60fps supposedly), which tells me this probably should have been a next gen game all along (though I don't know if they could have done that all the way back in 2012 or whatever).

I dunno, either way, I'm only paying $30 for this come tomorrow, so it's whatever.

I'm getting it on Amazon for $50 instead of $80. Apparently there was a pre-order deal or something when I did that a year and a half ago. I just need to wait a few extra days for shipping, which I can live with.

2 hours ago, MadJack said:

Welcome to gamers, basically. Same people DDoS'd Jim Sterling's website over a fake review someone made where he gave Super Mario Odyssey a 7/10.

312144020_oNG2h-L-2.jpg

• Like 2