General Gaming Thread

TKz

Kingdom Hearts 3.

Who is doing the voice over in the memory chamber recaps? I thought it was meant to be Kid Kairi but uhh, that's not Ariel Winter's voice. I don't know if I'm just not recognizing a character voice or if there was a change. 

On 27/11/2020 at 09:15, =BK= said:

Kingdom Hearts 3.

Who is doing the voice over in the memory chamber recaps? I thought it was meant to be Kid Kairi but uhh, that's not Ariel Winter's voice. I don't know if I'm just not recognizing a character voice or if there was a change. 

It's Chirithy apparently. I know nothing about Kingdom Hearts just googled it for you.

2 hours ago, theshadow said:

It's Chirithy apparently. I know nothing about Kingdom Hearts just googled it for you.

Ahhh. I Googled that name cause even I didn't know it. I see why. Those are some line of cute creatures from the FTP PC game I never played.

6 hours ago, LUKIE said:

Any good Point & Click games people have played recently?

Disco Elysium is in large parts p&c with dialogue trees and a brilliant take on the formula.

Edit: Time for some extra information because I wrote that reply when I was half asleep.

Disco Elysium is a P&C detective game with RPG/dice elements that revolves around your character waking up after an insane drunken bender and having completely shattered his psyche to the point where he legit doesn't remember who he is and even what he is.

During the game you piece together your identity, but you can fill in the blanks in terms of what your personality gets to be.

You can be a delusional star cop who acts like he's a TV star, you can be a sad sorry sack of shit who just tries to not be an even bigger mess than he was beforehand, or you can go fully crazy cook who thinks everything's somehow a paranormal mystery that has to be solved.

The game has phenomenal writing, great dialogue and characters (especially your detective partner, Lt. Kim), the setting is unique and interesting. And just in general it's great.

It has some hard topics it cuts into, including fascism/communism, lots of vulgar language (the worst of it is censored, at least), and other icky topics such as sexual abuse. And you can lead your character down personality paths where he commits to being a general piece of human shit who thinks every person's identity can be boiled down to the shape of their skull.

The game works off an interesting skill system where you put skill points into parts of your personality that directly affect how you experience the world. You can spec in 'visual calculus' that makes your character someone with CSI deductive skills, or 'Half Light' which makes you effectively just a guy that fixes things by physical force.

The game can be finished with any sort of spec, and whilst there's combat in the form of results from your actions, there isn't active combat or turn based combat in the game. There are still hard game overs though if you go a step too far even for your stoic partner to shrug off.

The skills are brilliant though because they actively add lore whilst you're interacting and conversing. Someone with psychology or acting can see when people are behaving strangely, and someone with high hand-eye coordination can grab something beyond their reach.

Finally, the deeper you go down a specific mental path, the more pronounced it becomes. So with the aformentioned 'half light', the higher you spec it the more actions you get given that involves brute force, even in situations where it might not even make sense or is inappropriate (badgering an innocent witness into admitting to a crime they didn't do). Even having that inner monologue becoming paranoid at seeing danger in every situation.

So you become more and more a specific personality as you continue playing, good or bad.

TL:DR - Games bloody brilliant. @LUKIE

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Been playing Far Cry Primal. Love how even though the characters are clearly speaking what I imagine is Proto-Indo-European or an equivalent, one of the possible PC lines for feeding your companion sounds exactly like you're saying "Eaaat Meaaaat"

I think people that are drawing comparisons from GTA to Cyberpunk are probably going to be disappointed come next week. From everything I've seen, it's more of a mix of the Witcher trilogy and games like Fallout or Skyrim, etc.

• Like 1

I think it is gonna be more like if Fallout and the Witcher had a baby than anything else. In a preview I read it took the guy 6 hours just to get to the title screen because there was so many side quests and things to explore holding him up. I'm hyped for it.

If we're talking story, then GTA and Shadowrun seem to be good comparisons.

Gameplay wise, Deus Ex meets Witcher with a bit of Fallout.

3 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

People who've received the game early have reported that there are a lot of bugs. The day one patch is going to be in excess of 40GB.

Sounds about right, it was delayed after the gold master was finished after all.

I don't know whether to just wait for the next-gen version or not given that the games been delayed that often another few months wouldn't hurt me given I've still got stuff to play

I've said it before but I'll be holding off on Cyberpunk for a long time. There will be expansions, updates, patches, etc. and then eventually a comprehensive GOTY edition that comes out.

At this point these companies have conditioned me to avoid day one purchases. Not exactly a good thing!

• Like 2

I'd be inclined to agree but seeing as this likely is the closest thing to a AAA Shadowrun or Ghost In The Shell game we'll ever get I can't not get behind that.

• Like 1