General Gaming Thread

TKz

Jesus, I don't even remotely have a top of the line PC, I put the graphics to medium because I don't really care enough about graphics, more gameplay, and even my game doesn't look even remotely that bad. My game doesn't look bad at all.

I've been playing for two hours on the PS5 and only had two bugs so far. I've got work tonight so I had to put it down, but the bugs I saw was Jackie wielding an invisible pistol, and the screen spinning when exiting a training module.

This game, and Avengers, strikes me as the type that should have been next-gen exclusives instead of cross-gen (eventually). Both of them apparently run far, far better on the PS5 and Xbox Series than they do on the previous generation consoles, which is just downright weird to me considering how long both of those games were in production for.

But, that being said, I'm really looking forward to the PS5 upgrade for this. I'm having a ton of fun with it so far.

I'm finding combat frustrating.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Spoiler

I am the nomad type. Went to collect the bot at the meat factory and the factory gets assaulted. I found it really frustrating trying to work out who was friendly and was an enemy, and trying to hack stuff and shoot them at the same time. Killing the mech at the end felt like I didn't really do anything except aim and fire. Also trying to pick stuff up mid-fight so as not to miss anything was frustrating.

17 minutes ago, LUKIE said:

I'm finding combat frustrating.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Hide contents

I am the nomad type. Went to collect the bot at the meat factory and the factory gets assaulted. I found it really frustrating trying to work out who was friendly and was an enemy, and trying to hack stuff and shoot them at the same time. Killing the mech at the end felt like I didn't really do anything except aim and fire. Also trying to pick stuff up mid-fight so as not to miss anything was frustrating.

Spoiler

I read that as “boy at the meat factory” and was curious as to what game it is you’re playing.

3 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

The game was developed for PS4 and Xbox One (and PC of course). The fact that it's not optimised for those consoles is fairly inexcusable - it simply shouldn't have been released yet if that was the case.

I also really dislike the huge group of PC elitists who are laughing at anyone with an outdated system or a console who have complaints.

The people who are saying you shouldn't expect the game to run on 10 year old tech make me laugh.

The game literally doesn't have a next gen version yet. You are buying it for PS4/Xbox One and it's a mess. It should work and run better than this.

• Like 3

Not to mention the fact that it's been delayed so much for the sake of making sure this kind of thing didn't happen. It's ridiculous that this continues to be the case with games, but we can't really do anything about it when people (myself included) just keep buying them cause we have poor self-control. 

At least it seemingly runs better on PS5 and I got it for basically $20 bucks less than retail ($30 if you factor in the free PS5 upgrade next year and ballooned price of games for that console.)

So far running great on PC. Wish I had more chargen options but otherwise so far so good.

bESjvGA.jpg

Thank god I was strong enough not to preorder Cyberpunk. I really really wanted to play it, but given how I'm still on a PS4, it seems like I just avoided some grief... Being cheap was good for once. 😁

I know the old Miyamoto quote that "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever”, but these days, when a game is delayed it seems like it's a matter of development being fucked up badly and it coming out as a mess or with huge day one patches. E.g. Marvel’s Avengers, Mass Effect Andromeda...

A big factor behind delays is often publishers pushing developers to stick to a particular release window. Cyberpunk was self-published, so CDPR inflicted such pressures on itself.

Bethesda may not be a perfect company, but I liked what it did with Fallout 4. That was announced when it was only a few months away from being released, which is an approach I much prefer. Then it went and announced Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI before they'd even been started, so so much for that working formula.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's pretty much all of Ubisoft right now, seems like. I feel like the prices of their games always plummet but I saw they were selling Watch Dogs Legion at half-off a couple weeks ago too.

Probably. It just was so jarring that the game literally came out 7 days ago and is now on sale. I bet the Watch Dogs Legion sale was probably that close to that timing as well. 

So, sexually charged advertisements for things that aren't, themselves, sexual. These are all over Cyberpunk 2077. Kind of like how almost everything commercial in GTA is a sex joke. So I can see why the idea of 'trying to be too edgy' can come across.

Thing is... like GTA, and proto-cyberpunk (the genre) media like Robocop, it's kind of a social commentary, particularly on 'sex sells' advertising and, in the case of things like the "Mix It Up" ad, exploitative and objectifying advertising. Commentary on capitalism, in this case consumerism, is a major recurring theme in cyberpunk media, and it being fucked up, that's the whole point. The city's website openly advertises it's sex trade, too.

Another, less sexually explicit example of social commentary: Early on you'll find a gun store called Second Amendment. Here's the thing though: Night City isn't technically part of the USA. It's not even part of the Free State of Northern California, which it nominally is located on the border of. It's an independent city-state. The US Constitution is meaningless in Night City (and Free States like NorCal). And yet, worship of the Second Amendment is alive and well.

EDIT- Overall, so far, really good stuff. Gunplay is challenging but fair, and when you manage to outfight a group of gangers singlehandedly it gives you that 'badass' feeling without making you feel like nobody could ever be a threat to you.

My only gripe is that it falls into the trope of "blunt damage = nonlethal". My current blunt melee weapon is a kanabo. These things have no business being considered nonlethal weapons. (link is to wiki, no spoilers here). It is awesome that they managed to put in one of my favorite ancient weapons in the game but grrrr this trope bugs me so much.

44 minutes ago, RPS said:

Fenyx Immortal Rising is 30$ off before Christmas here in Canada. 

A big LOL to that. 

So it's $50? Oh nice. I was thinking of getting it on sale... and if it's already on sale now... Where at?

27 minutes ago, Rukaru Shida said:

So it's $50? Oh nice. I was thinking of getting it on sale... and if it's already on sale now... Where at?

EB Games. Check out their flyer on their website. A lot is discounted before Christmas. Nintendo games are buy one, get one 50%. 

• Like 1