AMC's "Breaking Bad"

Blitz

There's a difference between being interested in seeing how a character goes from A to B when you know what B is, opposed to seeing a character change in front of your eyes.

The brilliant thing about Breaking Bad is that I feel betrayed by Walt in a similar way to the people of the TV show. I cheered for him, I feared for, I sympathised with him and then he slowly turned into a monster, doing all these bad things that made me ashamed to saying I ever liked Walter White. I've never seen such a wonderful character transformation on a TV show. Let alone, one who is the main character.

• Like 5

No one gave two shits about any character in Episode III.

The audience in general knows and cares about Jesse, Hank, Marie, Flynn, Holly and Brock. What Walt does affects them and he is clearly the guilty party in all of this.

To be honest, people do go too far with the Walt hate. He is the main character of this show and ever single decision he has made, evil or not, can be traced back to a legitimate good intention of wanting to provide for his family. He is not a blindly evil person, in his head he is doing what is best for his family, and I bet in the last two episodes we'll see him try to do right by them. Maybe even redeem himself.

Despite that, it is clear as day. Walt is the villain. All of this is his fault. No one can deny that and no one can really blame anyone but him for it. They especially cannot take it out on Marie.

There's a difference between being interested in seeing how a character goes from A to B when you know what B is, opposed to seeing a character change in front of your eyes.

The brilliant thing about Breaking Bad is that I feel betrayed by Walt in a similar way to the people of the TV show. I cheered for him, I feared for, I sympathised with him and then he slowly turned into a monster, doing all these bad things that made me ashamed to saying I ever liked Walter White. I've never seen such a wonderful character transformation on a TV show. Let alone, one who is the main character.

Absolutely. People saw my posts as I was watching "Walt is an ok dude". Stupid Srar! How could you trust that man?? :(

• Like 1

To be honest, people do go too far with the Walt hate.

NOPE. No matter what his intentions were before, they sure as hell aren't now. And that's what matters. It stopped being about his family and started being about the money. He could've stopped whenever he wanted. He could've stopped before he hurt ANYBODY. He could've, but he didn't. He liked the money and he liked the power. It was all about reinventing himself and becoming the head honcho and not the person that gets stepped on by life. It is not going too far to hate a calculating, greedy, egotistical, murdering megalomaniac. Sorry to inform you of such.

Another quick note about last night's episode:

Man, Rian Johnson did some great work with it. He and the cinematographer did some great work in making it all seem like a horror story that was happening. Some of the shots were fucking great.

And I'm thankful that after everything that went through poor Walt Jr.'s head that day, it didn't get piled on by the fact that he still hasn't realized how shitty the name Flynn is. That would've sent him over the edge.

• Like 3

An argument can be made for both really. It depends on what you take into account.

Some might argue that Walt is worse only because Joffrey is a kid and he still doesn't full understand the consequences of his actions.

Others might argue that Joffrey is worse because he takes delight in the evil things he does.

I dunno. Seems like it'd be a pretty good topic for discussion, really.

To be honest, people do go too far with the Walt hate.

NOPE. No matter what his intentions were before, they sure as hell aren't now. And that's what matters. It stopped being about his family and started being about the money. He could've stopped whenever he wanted. He could've stopped before he hurt ANYBODY. He could've, but he didn't. He liked the money and he liked the power. It was all about reinventing himself and becoming the head honcho and not the person that gets stepped on by life. It is not going too far to hate a calculating, greedy, egotistical, murdering megalomaniac. Sorry to inform you of such.

Don't know if you actually read my post because I agree with you.

It never stopped being about his family though. That entire episode was about his family. He tried to call off the hit because he'd rather be caught than see Hank killed, then he offered the Nazis ALL the money in exchange for Hank's life, then he cleared Skylar with the phone call despite it hurting him deep inside because he knew in that moment he had lost his family for good.

Vince Gilligan and team have put a lot of work into making Walt who he is. To write it all off as if Walt is just some generic, money-hungry bad guy is forgetting the entire journey he has been on. I want him dead too, it is what he deserves, but there are dimensions in play here.

I look forward to what the show does in the next two episodes. If they can have Walt redeem himself I think it will be amazing to see people do another 180 on him, and I don't doubt the show's ability to do it.

He can't redeem himself, though. Hank's dead. Directly because of him. Even if he goes and kills the nazi's, that doesn't ignore the fact that he has completely and utterly ruined Marie's life, is responsible for the death of his brother in law, and that doesn't even take into account all of the other horrific things he's done. The last few episodes have been so

good, and he's done such terrible things, that it made me forget that he murdered my favourite character. Yeah, fuck Walt for killing Mike. And all of Mike's guys.

I don't believe he's so two dimensional that he doesn't still love his family, that he did love Jesse and that he wanted Hank alive, but that doesn't change the fact that everything's happened because he is an egomaniac he got obsessed with money and power.

If it was all about family, then, as LL said, he'd have stopped a lot earlier.

I believe Walt believes everything he's done is for his family. But, much in the same way he blames Jesse for what happened in the dessert, that just says more about the kind of person Walt is. He can live with himself, and keep doing the awful, awful things he's done because he believes it's all for his family, instead of being in the knowledge that it's just all to satisfy his ego. Now he's lost his family, he no longer has that excuse, and it'll be interesting to see the effect that has on him.

• Like 1

It's Joffrey.

This will never be the wrong answer in a "Who's the worst?" question.

I totally love Walt in a "I love villains and seeing him become the biggest he could possibly be is amazing". The same way that "Solid B+" Stephanie McMahon and "How about the Cruiserweight title?" Triple H are wonderful. The same way The Joker was incredible in The Dark Knight. You guys seem to be getting "I want Walt to win everything ever" confused with "This guy is the greatest villain ever".

• Like 1

Yeah, people who are still Team Walt are doing it wrong.

The only teams I'm on are Team Badger & Skinny Pete, Team Kids, and Team Shut Up Marie.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

He can't redeem himself, though. Hank's dead. Directly because of him. Even if he goes and kills the nazi's, that doesn't ignore the fact that he has completely and utterly ruined Marie's life, is responsible for the death of his brother in law, and that doesn't even take into account all of the other horrific things he's done. The last few episodes have been so

good, and he's done such terrible things, that it made me forget that he murdered my favourite character. Yeah, fuck Walt for killing Mike. And all of Mike's guys.

I don't believe he's so two dimensional that he doesn't still love his family, that he did love Jesse and that he wanted Hank alive, but that doesn't change the fact that everything's happened because he is an egomaniac he got obsessed with money and power.

If it was all about family, then, as LL said, he'd have stopped a lot earlier.

I believe Walt believes everything he's done is for his family. But, much in the same way he blames Jesse for what happened in the dessert, that just says more about the kind of person Walt is. He can live with himself, and keep doing the awful, awful things he's done because he believes it's all for his family, instead of being in the knowledge that it's just all to satisfy his ego. Now he's lost his family, he no longer has that excuse, and it'll be interesting to see the effect that has on him.

That he believes he is doing it all for his family is the point. No one will argue Walt isn't evil, greedy and all of the above, but you cannot ignore the basis. You can't even say "If he was doing it for his family he would have stopped sooner" because he convinced himself the greed was because his family needed more. Plus, when Skyler showed him that he simply made too much money he did leave the business, then this second part of season 5 was about protecting his family by not getting caught and safeguarding his family (and yes, the money). Family is the dominating motivation for Walt still, even if it took a back seat during the first half of season 5.

I don't doubt for a second Vince Gilligan can redeem Walt in the last two episodes either. There are still lives in danger, provided Walt saves them, gets rid of the threats to them and burns the entire meth empire he started to the ground, and kill himself of course, I think it can presented in such a way that he feels redeemed. To be honest, all it will take is Flynn believably forgiving him and the majority of the audience will do that 180.

If I was writing the final two episodes

The Nazi's and Todd go to Hank's house to get the tape. Skyler, Walt JR, Marie, and Holly are there. Everyone is killed. The story makes the news. The investigating cops solve the case and the story breaks. Elsewhere, Walt sees the news story and eventually returns when things have died down. He goes and kills all the Nazi's and Todd. He is surprised to find Jesse alive and rescues him. Walt, believing that he is already a beaten man, assumes Jesse will forgive him for everything. Jesse tells Walt that there's one more thing and leads him in to a back room where Holly is alive and being held by a junkie female. The female says she was raising the kid as her own. She agrees to give up Holly in exchange for Blue meth. Walt, Jesse, and Holly leave. Jesse and Walt step away from Holly, who is asleep in the car. Jesse offers Walt the chance to kill himself to make up for everything. To go out on his own terms. Jesse say's it's either that or Jesse shoots Walt. Walt agrees, after making Jesse promise to raise Holly right away from drugs and crime. Jesse agrees. Walt takes the ricin and kills himself. Jesse takes Holly to Saul and gets Saul to agree to front the money so Jesse and Holly can get new identities and move on.

As far as the "Heisenberg" being written on the wall, that's done by Walt's ex students as the story breaks and this legend is born regarding their former teacher. The White residence becomes a clubhouse to them.

Also, Walt's cancer never came back. That was a lie. A lifeline. He never went back to the doctor, he never got re-diagnosed. Notice it's the first thing Walt says to Hank to try and escape with things intact. Walt wanted to be SEEN at the cancer clinic, to back up the lie if he ever needed to use it. Walt knows how much chemo therapy a healthy person can take, and with the right bribes to a hospital technician, he can receive it. OR, the needle wasn't really in his arm, and he was deterring the chemo in to a bag or something. This idea is outrageous, but would really show the lengths Walt was willing to go to. Sitting for hours in a chair, just so people see you so a lie has credibility.

I'm alllmost certain Skylar and maybe even Holly dies in the next episode. Walt Jr's not around or something. Something happens (possibly Jesse-related) with the Nazi's that makes them go after Walt's family which in turn brings Walt back for the finale/revenge. Also who would spray the words Heisenberg in house?

Neo-Nazis.

I started season 5 today and am racing to beat the clock so I can watch the finale live. Of course...

I happen to a Google search on Hank and find out he died in the latest episode. Fucking hell, I'm pissed that was spoiled for me.