European Football Thread

IAceI

11 minutes ago, Adam said:

Same thing Daniel Sturridge did, is it not?

Sturridge told a cousin to bet on him going Sevilla iirc. At the time he was getting linked to them quite heavily 

Three FC Köln players tested positive for coronavirus after returning to training last week. None were showing any symptoms and are now self-isolating for 14 days.

A reminder that football is not returning anytime soon. I don’t see how it can be possible.

On 02/05/2020 at 03:05, Liam Mk2 said:

Three FC Köln players tested positive for coronavirus after returning to training last week. None were showing any symptoms and are now self-isolating for 14 days.

A reminder that football is not returning anytime soon. I don’t see how it can be possible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52557699

Coming back this month in Germany apparently. 

• Admin

The Augsburg coach, Heiko Herrlich, will miss the restart of the German season on Saturday after he broke strict quarantine rules by leaving the team hotel to buy toothpaste.

Augsburg host Wolfsburg as the Bundesliga becomes the first of Europe’s major leagues to resume since the onset of the coronavirus crisis.

The club said in a statement that, by leaving the hotel, Herrlich had broken rules set up by a German Football League task force.

“I made a mistake by leaving the hotel,” said Herrlich, who was due to coach Augsburg in a match for the first time on Saturday. “Even though I followed all hygiene measures both when I left the hotel and otherwise, I cannot undo this.

“In this situation I did not live up to my role model function towards my team and the public. I will therefore be consistent and stand by my mistake. Because of this mistake I will not lead the training tomorrow and I will not coach the team in the match against Wolfsburg on Saturday.”

Augsburg said Herrlich would have to be tested twice and give negative results each time before he could rejoin the team.

“I had no toothpaste and I went to the supermarket,” said Herrlich, who was appointed Augsburg coach in March, 10 days before the Bundesliga was suspended.

The Austrian league leaders, Lask Linz, have been accused by their rivals of holding training sessions that break coronavirus rules but have themselves complained they have been victims of industrial espionage.

Eleven of the 12 teams in the Austrian Bundesliga, which is due to restart in June, said they had been presented with “clear video material” showing Linz had ignored guidelines that restrict training to small groups of players.

“These videos clearly show that the league leaders have disregarded the guidelines for small group training set by the ministry [of sports],” a joint statement from the other teams said on Thursday.

The clubs said they “dissociated from this behaviour and will continue to adhere strictly to the government’s guidelines. The responsible and safe continuation of the Bundesliga competition remains a top priority.”

Austria Vienna made their own statement. “We are really very disappointed, because in the past few weeks we have done everything we could for the resumption of training and matches under an extreme commitment for the Bundesliga and for all the clubs,” they said. “Everything is then torpedoed with such fatal actions.”

RB Salzburg, the defending champions said they were “shocked and stunned” by Linz’s approachadding: “For many months we have been working so hard together ... obviously, not all clubs and individuals are aware of this great responsibility.”

The Linz managing director, Andreas Protil, told the APA news agency that two men had broken into the club’s training ground overnight and installed video surveillance cameras, adding that the incident had been reported to the police.

“We are shocked that there are obviously third parties who are willing to break into our club premises with criminal energy in order to carry out industrial espionage,” Protil said. “The perpetrators were filmed and are now being investigated.” APA said the Bundesliga was investigating the incident.

The Austrian government allowed teams to begin training on 20 April under strict rules that restricted them to groups of six. Full training sessions will be permitted from Friday.

Having good commentators would really help me. The American broadcast on FS1 features two guys who sound a combination of disinterested and boring to listen to. It's dreadful. I miss hearing Arlo White

• Like 1