2013 Major League Soccer Thread (aka The Ancient Mystical Society of No Timbers)

GoGo Yubari

I'd rather not talk about this, Brazil sucked in that tournament.

The FCD ST contingent is now Cooper - Perez - Hassli .... with Ferraira feeding them.  Oh, and Jackson.  If they sign Nunez ?  Holy  hell.

Perez - Hassli - Cooper

Nunez - Ferraira - Jackson

Ugo (if healthy) - Hedges - John - Loyd

Fernandez/Seitz

I'll freaking take that in a heart beat.  Castillo can be tossed in pretty much in any of the 6 slots up front, Jacobson can be good enough as a holding mid later in the match, and all they need is Luccin not to be a complete bust.  This team went from LOL worthy to ... they could be pretty damned good this year.

Colombian Fernando Uribe being linked with the MLS.  Had a great run of form for Once Caldes in 10/11 and was on loan with Chievo recently before being back in Colombia with Atletico Nacional.  25, fast, strong, and can play out wide (actually better there).  This would be a great pick up in my opinion.  RSL is the top team mentioned at this point. 

The smartest bit of business by NYRB this year was just completed as they locked in Dax McCarty with a new deal. 

Interesting ... the Crew have Matías Sánchez in camp. He's of the 2007 FIFA U-20 World winning Argentine side that featured Sergio Agüero, Ángel di María, Ever Banega and Emiliano Insúa. He's been with Estudiantes (huge club in Argentina) and is only 25 ... very curious because he's been playing regularly with them. Seems that'd be a huge pick up for them.

So, a huge pick up for them then: http://www.thecrew.com/news/2013/02/crew-signs-midfielder-matias-sanchez

Shalrie Joseph is at Sounders practice today out of nowhere.

If he's willing to play this year for waaaaaay less than he was last year, I could see him as CB/CDM cover.

Shalrie Joseph is at Sounders practice today out of nowhere.

If he's willing to play this year for waaaaaay less than he was last year, I could see him as CB/CDM cover.

BCmXc-yCQAAmRMh.jpg

Just coming in to post that. I think he'd have plenty left if he transitioned to CB full time at this point. Right price would put him at a steal.

NYRB has signed Ruben Izquierdo (20 yr old mid from Spain, played with Charlton and San Roque).

Montreal signed Andrés Fabricio Romero out of Argentina ... 23 yr old ATT that's been on the fringe of Brazilian clubs recently. Looks to be one of those "so close" players that is either going to bust through or never get past his initial potential.

Ugh. This whole idea sounds awful. It may just be the old-school hockey fan in me coming out, but I don't understand the need to change kits every few seasons. I know that the clubs need to make money, but this has always been a transparent cash grab in my eyes. The Red Wings have had pretty much the same sweaters since 1934, and they continue to sell really well. The Yankees have truly classic uniforms, and they continue to sell really well.

Changing uniforms for the sake of making money is such a bad idea. Remember the Tampa Bay Lightning storm jerseys? Or the NY Islanders fishsticks jerseys? Or the Anaheim Teenage Mutant Ninja Duck design? How well did those sell? Just find something that works and stick with it.

Some of these clubs are still doing that, remember .... this will only be the 18th season of play and only 5 of the original clubs exist today in the exact same manner they did when the league started.

Of course, it's also one of the things they do in line with the rest of the soccer world.

Some of these clubs are still doing that, remember .... this will only be the 18th season of play and only 5 of the original clubs exist today in the exact same manner they did when the league started.

Of course, it's also one of the things they do in line with the rest of the soccer world.

United, Galaxy, umm... Red Bulls? Dallas? San Jose?

Damn, I should pay more attention to MLS.

United, Galaxy, umm... Red Bulls? Dallas? San Jose?

Damn, I should pay more attention to MLS.

DC LA COL CLB NE Mr Moses is correct

Sounders could still land Verdu.

• Admin

The Next Chapter…
Things are never what they seem… My whole life I have felt different, different from my peers, even different from my family. In today’s society being different makes you brave. To overcome your fears you must be strong and have faith in your purpose.
For the past 25 year I have been afraid, afraid to show whom I really was because of fear. Fear that judgment and rejection would hold me back from my dreams and aspirations. Fear that my loved ones would be farthest from me if they knew my secret. Fear that my secret would get in the way of my dreams.
Dreams of going to a World Cup, dreams of The Olympics, dreams of making my family proud. What would life be without these dreams? Could I live a life without them?
Life is only complete when your loved ones know you. When they know your true feelings, when they know who and how you love. Life is simple when your secret is gone. Gone is the pain that lurks in the stomach at work, the pain from avoiding questions, and at last the pain from hiding such a deep secret.
Secrets can cause so much internal damage. People love to preach about honesty, how honesty is so plain and simple. Try explaining to your loved ones after 25 years you are gay. Try convincing yourself that your creator has the most wonderful purpose for you even though you were taught differently.
I always thought I could hide this secret. Football was my escape, my purpose, my identity. Football hid my secret, gave me more joy than I could have ever imagined… I will always be thankful for my career. I will remember Beijing, The MLS Cup, and most of all my teammates. I will never forget the friends I have made a long the way and the friends that supported me once they knew my secret.
Now is my time to step away. It’s time to discover myself away from football. It’s 1 A.M. in London as I write this and I could not be happier with my decision. Life is so full of amazing things. I realized I could only truly enjoy my life once I was honest. Honesty is a bitch but makes life so simple and clear. My secret is gone, I am a free man, I can move on and live my life as my creator intended.

Ex-Leeds player Robbie Rogers appears to retire and come out all at once. Good for him.