2013 Major League Soccer Thread (aka The Ancient Mystical Society of No Timbers)

GoGo Yubari

Here we go DC here we go!

Seriously though, I've always had a thing for DC United because of Freddy Adu (And now because of PERRY KITCHEN), and I'm pretty happy to see that they've cancelled any plans to move to Baltimore. Having not followed the MLS properly for a good while, would DC be a Championship contending team?

From what I understand, the landscape in the East is pretty much up for anyone to win. Other than my own TFC, of course. And probably not NE Revs, either. Sporting Kansas City is the on-paper favourites, and will be very tough to beat, but anything can happen. DCU's a very hard-working team. Just speculation here, but I think it'll be either SKC or Houston from the East.

Although, to be fair, either GoGo or HttK will have far more informed opinions than I have.

DC are very much a team that could make it to the MLS Cup this year.

I'd say that on paper the tiers for the eastern conference are like so;

Top: SKC, Houston, DC

Middle: New York, Chicago, Columbus

Bottom: Philly, Montreal, New England, Toronto

Yeah, they've got it pretty spot on. On paper, coming into the year this is how it stands. Although, the way things are shaping up for NY I wouldn't be surprised if they do some damage this year. I think they've addressed much more than DCU has and outside of HOU/SKC they might be the team that turns some heads. CLB has also appeared to make the right moves as well and might 'outwork' DCU. It's going to be really tough because, while I think Pajoy isn't given enough credit, they still don't have that difference maker up front. DeRo is only getting older and I'm not sold on Pontius being reliable an entire season. Personally I'd put it as follows:

SKC/HOU

NYRB

CLB/ CHI/DCU

Montreal has done some great work in getting the right pieces as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see them make things tough as well. Honestly I only feel that NE/TOR/PHI are going to have a tough go of it this year.

Apparently Javier Saviola of Malaga is being talked about as a midseason DP for Seattle.

Just saw that ... he's been mentioned on and off for a few years with a couple of teams. Personally, I think he'd be great here and SEA is one of the teams I feel he'd fit with.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/hearts-andy-driver-in-mls-houston-dynamo-move-1-2798763 .... looks like Andy Driver is signing with Houston. I remember him when I was able to watch Hearts regularly a few years back. Liked his play (loved Kingston though) but have wondered what happened to him. I see he's only 25, did he get hurt or something ? If he's still anywhere near what I remember watching he should be plenty good for Houston.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/hearts-andy-driver-in-mls-houston-dynamo-move-1-2798763 .... looks like Andy Driver is signing with Houston. I remember him when I was able to watch Hearts regularly a few years back. Liked his play (loved Kingston though) but have wondered what happened to him. I see he's only 25, did he get hurt or something ? If he's still anywhere near what I remember watching he should be plenty good for Houston.

Official. On loan.

Looks like Seattle just got Shalrie Joseph after all.

This... ties in neatly with rumors about Christian Tiffert's departure...

Seattle has also acquired the No. 3 Allocation ranking, a 2014 natural second round SuperDraft pick and a 2015 natural second round SuperDraft pick from Chivas USA in exchange for Seattle’s No. 15 Allocation ranking. Joseph will occupy a Designated Player slot for Seattle.

Oh, Christ. Yeah. Tiffert's gone.

Looks like Seattle just got Shalrie Joseph after all.

This... ties in neatly with rumors about Christian Tiffert's departure...

Seattle has also acquired the No. 3 Allocation ranking, a 2014 natural second round SuperDraft pick and a 2015 natural second round SuperDraft pick from Chivas USA in exchange for Seattle’s No. 15 Allocation ranking. Joseph will occupy a Designated Player slot for Seattle.

Oh, Christ. Yeah. Tiffert's gone.

Uuuuhhhhh yeah .... and holy fuck did they want him gone from CHVUSA. Seems as though all of that was a "here, buy him out and you can have this" kind of deal. With Montero's loan deal being a year, Joseph seriously thinking about retiring after this season (to take up coaching), and Tiffert being shopped .... seems like Seattle decided to take the DP hit this season in order to be able to let the Montero deal work itself out. They get a shit ton in return for taking on the DP for a season when they honestly can let things coast for a bit.

Je-Vaughn Watson was traded from HOU to DAL (making room for Driver) and DAL also signed some Brazilian named Michael ... 6'2 LB/LM type that most recently played for ARIS, including playing all of their Europa matches in 10/11. Has played at some big clubs in Brazil as well as at Standard Liege. From the looks of it, it could be a pretty damn good signing.

Vancouver signed Johnny Leveron, Honduran International. He's 23, played for the Honduras national team at every level, can play in the back or at mid, and is one hell of a signing.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/02/20/what-will-nigel-reo-coker-bring-to-the-whitecaps/ ... interesting write up on the move.

I think we may have found out what's going on with Songo'o: @Ortizkicks - Driver benefits after MID Franck Songo'o slept too long on #Dynamo offer. Think Driver, if healthy, offers more. .... Guess he figures he's a bit more than he really is.

He seems pretty widely loathed in the US.

As frustrated as I've been this offseason, I do have to admit that the preseason results have been fairly encouraging. Mario Martinez seems to be gelling more and more on a personal and professional level with Sounders, and that's bad news for the rest of MLS.