2013 Major League Soccer Thread (aka The Ancient Mystical Society of No Timbers)

GoGo Yubari

In addition to Will Johnson, the Timbers chose to re-up midfielders Michael Nanchoff, Rodney Wallace and Ben Zemanski; defenders Mamadou "Futty" Danso, Andrew Jean-Baptiste, Pa Modou Kah and Rauwshan McKenzie; and goalkeeper Jake Gleeson.

Horst is gone though (get healthy and you'd be a good add to someone).

DAMNIT: http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/12/tfc-acquires-jackson-fc-dallas Dallas trades Jackson to TFC for a 2nd round pick and allocation money. DAMNIT

Eto'o looks more likely to come this summer with specific clubs (not named TFC) being mentioned: CHI/DCU/LA/CHV (yes, Chivas .... )

Mastroeni to retire.

Well, that was quick. Seattle just traded a 2015 first round draft pick to Toronto for Stefan Frei.

EDIT: Montreal has now traded Davy Arnaud to DC United.

Yeah, I think that's a good move honestly. He was really picking up steam before he got hurt and I feel he's greatly underrated. With Marcus staying on he'll get great mentorship ... and you'll be drafting a GK in the first round so ... OH, and TFC now has 4 first rounders for 2015.

Speaking of TFC, they re-signed Bendik (great move).

I like the move for DCU as well. They have some very good young MIDs, and Arnaud will be a great influence.

and you'll be drafting a GK in the first round so ...

At no point am I taking any predictions of what the Sounders will do in the draft serious. This year they traded up out of nowhere for Zavaleta, last year they drafted Andrew Duran.

NYC FC has announced that Jason Kreis will be its first head coach, as we all had basically figured out a while ago. What a painful year for Real Salt Lake.

No, it's actually a good move for both parties. If Mauro wasn't willing to take the kind of pay cut needed to stay we were going to lose him no matter what. As long as Chivas understands they need to really manage his minutes (they will not understand this, I guarantee), he makes them a much better team than they were before, and Seattle gets something where they might have gotten nothing. Bowen is apparently out of contract too which is good because in no way is he worth 150K a year so that just means we have the rights to him.

Haha. I feel sort of bad for Mauro because he's by all accounts every bit as nice as he comes off, but I wouldn't be surprised if Chivas were the only team who'd take him at his current salary/possible DP status. And yeah, nice to have that allocation spot back.

Bob Bradley has apparently passed on the Whitecaps gig, thus denying us of the added hype for Cascadia that Schmid/Porter/Bradley as the coaching battles would have provided.

Yeah, Bradley's going to get a decent shot in Europe. If/when he comes back I highly doubt it'll be to a Canadian MLS team anyway. I'm actually pretty surprised that CHI didn't make a run at him.

Also, CJ Brown has also left RSL to join Yallop in CHI. So now RSL needs a new manager and a new top assistant.

Columbus are apparently trading Chad Marshall to Seattle. This could be the EJ trade, actually.

EDIT: Also Bobby Convey, Kevin Alston, and Kenny Cooper aren't in the re-entry draft anymore.

EDIT II: No, apparently all Columbus gets is a meaningless draft pick and allocation. I... huh.

Re-Entry Draft stage 1: DC United takes Sean Franklin and Bobby Boswell, Portland traded Andrew Jean-Baptiste to Chivas for the spot so they could get Steve Zakuani, Colorado takes Marc Burch, Philadelphia takes Corben Bone.

Columbus has also gotten the rights to Daniel Paladini from Chicago.

Has to be cost-related, I'd think.

Anyway this offseason continues to be ridiculous and way more interesting than last year's. Montreal has fired Schallibaum, NYRB has gotten Bobby Convey from Toronto, Portland has shipped Sal Zizzo to SKC, aaaaaand now Seattle has traded Adam Moffat to FC Dallas for allocation money and the rights to Kenny Cooper.