2013 Major League Soccer Thread (aka The Ancient Mystical Society of No Timbers)

GoGo Yubari

Why not? MLSE has thrown ridiculous sums of money after other people before. What's stopping them now? They have two standard DP slots available after the release of Koef, and Tim Leiwicke said he wants a top-tier DP striker duo for the start of next year. This would definitely fit the bill.

They're looking to buy the Toronto Argonauts, move them to an expanded BMO Field. Might as well have the 19 or whatever TFC games also sell out the stands. God knows they need help selling out the stands as it is. A potentially lethal Defoe/Gila- (The Monster!) -rdino combo would put butts in seats.

I'm not saying it will happen or even be successful if it does happen, I'm just saying that both isn't inherently impossible.

Of course, we'd still need a midfield beyond Osorio and Laba. And ideally some better defenders. And coach. But beggars can't be choosers, right?

Vancouver declined the options for goalkeepers Joe Cannon, Brad Knighton, and Simon Thomas, defender Brad Rusin, midfielders Jun Marques Davidson and Daigo Kobayashi , as well as strikers Tommy Heinemann and Corey Hertzog. [Cannon, Heinemann, Hertzog, and Knighton will be eligible for the re-entry draft]

For what it's worth, AVB has said that Defoe is going nowhere in January.

Last I heard, the deal was for Defoe to join TFC in March. Don't know how reliable that is -- or even if possible due to transfer windows -- but it'd certainly fit the whole 'not in January' thing.

Edited by Sweet Holy Moses

For what it's worth, AVB has said that Defoe is going nowhere in January.

Last I heard, the deal was for Defoe to join TFC in March. Don't know how reliable that is -- or even if possible due to transfer windows -- but it'd certainly fit the whole 'not in January' thing.

Mid February through the first week of May for the MLS. It would be possible.

- Bob Bradley and Preki have been approached by Vancouver. I'd love Bob back in the league.

- Reports coming out that DCU/Dallas/Chicago are inquiring about Joe Cole.

- Marvin Chavez has stated he's leaving San Jose.

The only one from that list that I even remotely will miss is Koef. But his body just can't hold up anymore. I might miss Convey, but dude needs a better haircut. You're a soccer player, not the backup vocalist for an emo band.

This culling leaves TFC with just 3 forwards in, presumably, a 4-4-2 system for next year. No matter what happens with Gilardino or Defoe, Leiwicke must be confident in luring at least two strikers to the club.