2013 MLB Season Thread

The Buscher

“I've been thinking the last couple of days. I just felt like I should address the fans.

“I know there is a lot of mixed opinions on pitching, not pitching, all that kind of stuff. I know there are people who are disappointed about how I pitched the last two years. I know there are a lot of people who are very supportive. So, one, I just wanted to thank them for their support. And my heart goes out to all of the people who spend all of their money and go out to the games and don't get to see what they want to see.

I know I'm not the whole team. There are still a lot of guys out there and it's a fun team to watch. But I feel bad that I'm missing the time that I am. I feel bad for the fans that I'm missing the time. It's tough. You feel an obligation to the organization, to your teammates, to the fans to try to go out and pitch. Especially on a competitive team that sells out. For me, that was a big factor. If I'm playing for a last-place team and there's things going on, you maybe speak up. But we have a chance to go win a World Series and we have sellouts and fans have expectations. You want to do everything you can to try to make it work. Really, that was a lot of the reason I tried to keep going. Like I said, I never really felt the pain.

I just wanted to reach out to the fans, thank them for their support and apologize to the ones who pay the money and show up in the second inning and it's 9-0. I apologize to the fans that I won't be out there for three months. I don't feel like I have to apologize to the team because I think they know. I just want the fans to know that I'm thinking about them. I don't take that for granted. I don't take playing for Philadelphia for granted.”

Roy Halladay in an impromptu press conference in the dugout before tonights game. This. This is why I've grown to love Doc. He goes on to say he doesn't blame fans for booing him...if he was a fan, showed up in the 2nd inning and it was 9-0, he'd boo him too. It was painful to watch Doc pitch this season, because you could tell there was something wrong, and even he didn't know what it was. If Docs last game as a Philly is 9 earned runs in 2.1 innings, so be it. I'd love to see him back in the uniform though

Given how long it took Doc to finally go see a doctor and have surgery I honestly thought he wasn't hurt and had just lost it.

Do the Phillies get the chance to trade him while he's recovering from this surgery though? He probably won't come back until August, and you usually don't see an August trade feature parts as big as the one a Halladay trade will. They won't get a ton for him if they trade him before he comes back and shows he still has it, but if that's their only chance at a return then they might take it. All of this is a moot point if the team is able to hang around in the playoff chase into July and August. If they're 5 games back at that point it's real hard to go through with what could be a massive fire sale. A lot of changes will happen in Philly if the team misses the playoffs, and as soon as it seems a probability that they will Amaro will start shipping players out one-by-one.

Given how long it took Doc to finally go see a doctor and have surgery I honestly thought he wasn't hurt and had just lost it.

Do the Phillies get the chance to trade him while he's recovering from this surgery though? He probably won't come back until August, and you usually don't see an August trade feature parts as big as the one a Halladay trade will. They won't get a ton for him if they trade him before he comes back and shows he still has it, but if that's their only chance at a return then they might take it. All of this is a moot point if the team is able to hang around in the playoff chase into July and August. If they're 5 games back at that point it's real hard to go through with what could be a massive fire sale. A lot of changes will happen in Philly if the team misses the playoffs, and as soon as it seems a probability that they will Amaro will start shipping players out one-by-one.

Players on the DL can't be traded without permission of the commissioner. The deadline for non-waiver and waiver trades are the last days of July and August, respectively. And my guess any trade involving him (or any other player) while on the disabled list would be conditional. Something like if he's not ready to play within a certain amount of time, either the trade is reversed or the team he goes to gets additional players as compensation.

After his last two performances, Tim Hudson just earned his way off my fantasy team. Replaced him with Jaime Garcia.

Greinke had no problem coming back and kicking ass right out of the gate. Only one run given up and 4ks in just over 5 innings is pretty good for a return from injury.

I love that Grienke came back strong, he adds to pitching goldmine I've got. Last week my team averaged a 1.74 ERA. With Cueto also coming back, I'm now shopping Stephen Strasburg around to see if I can get someone to buy into name value and give me a solid bat in return.

The Jays pitching has been better over the last go-through of the rotation. Doesn't hurt that they put up back-to-back 10+ run games against the Giants though, either.

The team may finally be gelling together properly. If they can keep this up, the Jays are going to be dangerous down the stretch when we get our lead-off guy back in Reyes.

Yeah nobody was gonna have a year like last year with the bullpen. I like the progress the bats have made, we're still a year or two away from really competing. The target was always 2014, last year was a nice, early surprise.

Nobody knows what's going on with JJ, but law of averages indicates he'll probably go back to saving games just fine at some point. Rivera's blown a large number of saves in his career and he's been just alright.

ku-xlarge.gif

Was the next pitch he threw a strike?

Yes, but only because the Phillies offense is a joke. :P

No its not! Only because jokes tend to be funny...and this is far from funny :(

Yea..alot of people calling for Amaro to be fired for some of hisa decisions lately..