WWE 2K14

apsham

Yeah, I'd only ever watch a Royal Rumble from WWE 13 comprised entirely of Simpsons characters, each with it's own unique theme.

• Like 6

Why do people complain about the wrestler models? I have absolutely no clue.. except that the wrestlers? Kind of the main part of the game, wouldn't you think? When I saw that Ryback Is floored by how bad it is. The whole base of the system is there, you'd figure the bulk of the work should go into making the actual competitors look like they should.

But it's nice that you think that linking to a game from 2 generations ago, that as absolute dogshit is a good counterpoint.

• Like 6

Yeah, you can't really say "it doesn't look bad, look at this game from 15 years ago!" as an effective argument. Technology has progressed.

That said, I don't think that Warrior model is the finished product. It looks worse than anything in the last game.

You kids don't know you're born. Back in my day we would have loved to have this electronic wrestling simulation malarky, but all we had was a hoop to push down a dirt road with a stick.

• Like 4

I don't get people complaining about graphics any year at this point.

Yeah, 2k14 really looks bad. :rolleyes:

Yeah I mean it could look like this:

• Like 3

I don't get people complaining about graphics any year at this point.

Yeah, 2k14 really looks bad. :rolleyes:

I remember how i hated on that game and everyone was like "U A$$HOLE U ALWAYS HATE EVERYTHING, IT HAS WWE LICENSE SO ITS GOOD". :shuriken:

The acclaim games were utter shit. Remember their ECW game? ...i am so happy i had the WCW games around that time.

I still think the WWF THQ games on the N64 looked better than the early Smackdown games.

I haven't played a WWE game for years but one thing that really bothered me about the ones I had on the PS2 was that nothing felt like it had any weight and it all moved too quickly. Also constant music that you can't turn off.

I still think the WWF THQ games on the N64 looked better than the early Smackdown games.

I haven't played a WWE game for years but one thing that really bothered me about the ones I had on the PS2 was that nothing felt like it had any weight and it all moved too quickly. Also constant music that you can't turn off.

Looks arrent that much of an issue for me. I remember the first or second smackdown game to have an interesting mechanic that allowed you to be booked more or less on the road. (sort of like Wrestlemania 2000 s road to wrestlemania mode but endless) Thats what i like a lot about Wrestling Revolution today.

Yeah, you can't really say "it doesn't look bad, look at this game from 15 years ago!" as an effective argument. Technology has progressed.

That said, I don't think that Warrior model is the finished product. It looks worse than anything in the last game.

Well, the Warrior model is a finished product, not just of 2k14. It's a slightly edited version of Warrior's model from Legends of WrestleMania.

I already know I'm definitely not getting this on release, but hopefully information released in the coming weeks will help me determine whether or not I actually want to get this at all or just wait it out until 2K's finally allowed to build their own version of the game from the bottom up.

• Like 1

2K Sports unveiled their inaugural effort at professional wrestling in WWE 2K14 after acquiring the WWE license during the THQ liquidation earlier this year. 2K has retained Yukes as part of the development of the game and the transition in publishers appears to have went smoothly as the game feels better than ever.

Of course the big reveal was that, for the first time in the Smackdown/Smackdown vs. Raw/WWE series, the Ultimate Warrior will be a playable member of the roster. The details are that the Warrior will be available by preorder only. This is a big deal to fans of the series as he’s always one of the first made create a characters you see going into the Community Creations. The Warrior will be sporting his Wrestlemania 6 outfit with the face paint on his chest, big hair and trademarked tassels around his arms.

I spoke to the Ultimate Warrior about how he felt about being in the game finally, he stated “I just want people to have fun with the game, when you sit down you’re just there to have fun”.

I also had to ask Warrior how he managed so much energy throughout his career, he replied “I remember feeling that way, I always got spooked on because I would look drained by the end of the match, some would say even by the time I got to the ring. I gave that much, I would challenge myself, telling my heart, go ahead *Explicative* explode. That’s what people want to do to be the best at something”.

It was an interesting interview to say the least, but he’s fired up about adults and kids of all ages to be able to use him in the game.

The match pacing is a big deal to the series. New this year to change up the pacing is that the strike animations are now faster, which allows you to pull of combos better and the moves themselves look smoother throughout a match. The strikes also are more difficult to counter, but cause less damage than a normal move would.

The reversal system has also been refined, in the past games in the WWE series you would reverse a move into another reversal, it felt stiff and sometimes not as much fun. That old pacing has been changed to when you do a reversal, it’s straight into a move. It looks and feels so much better than the old system and gives reversals a reward for pulling it off.

Comebacks have been changed around some as well, where last year they were a set of signature moves for a wrestler, this year they tie in the actual signature and finisher of the wrestler performing the comeback move. This new dynamic adds to the comeback series of moves.

Also added are catapult finishers, which are similar to the catch finishers of last year (which still also remain in the game) but now you can do them on offensive side instead of the defensive side. I did both The Rock’s and Shawn Michaels’ catapult finishers, which look incredible. They are very easy to pull off, pressing LB/L1 then pressing Y/Triangle while they are in the air. There are 10 new ones, and everyone who had a catch finisher last year has a catapult finisher this year. This new addition will come in handy when you know your opponent has a finisher stored as they will have to think twice about just barreling after you.

The OMG moves, which was a big inclusion last year, has also been updated. Seven new OMG moves were added, including character specific ones. We were shown the DDT on the ring apron, ring post boot from the outside and a character specific on in John Cena performing a two wrestler Attitude Adjustment which leads to both wrestlers taking significant damage. As seen in the first trailer, Ryback can do a double shellshock. Also, we were told that a double choke slam is in the game as well.

The new OMG moments will be further revealed as we get closer to launch.

There are many little things which have been refined and updated by the team at 2K as well, not the least of which was animation quality, match feel/speed, and the in game navigation system. The navigation system isn’t touched, but the actual navigation of the individual wrestlers was and it’s much improved.

One of the little changes I saw is there is now a hesitation to running instead of immediately entering into a full sprint. Other things I noticed are animations look better, and wrestlers will now fidget (grab their wrist tape, mini-taunt, or motion to the opponent) through a match.

You can see some of the influence a game NBA 2K has on the series with the little additions that have already been put into the game. WWE Designer Cory Ledesma mentioned that the team took several cues from another 2K title stating, “We (WWE team) very much pay attention to a game like NBA 2K to get ideas for the little things”.

The playable roster at the preview event included the coverman for WWE 2K14, The Rock as well as Shawn Michaels, John Cena, Dolph Ziggler, Steve Austin, Randy Savage, and the Pre-Order bonus, Ultimate Warrior. After trying all of them, I noticed new nuances with each one, including the OMG and Comeback moments mentioned above.

One word which kept coming from Cory Ledesma and the Ultimate Warrior which rang true throughout the presentation and interviews was “fun”. They are striving for a true to life presentation of a WWE event, but keeping it fun for the player as well. From the demo we saw at the preview event, 2K has succeeded at that so far.

WWE 2K14 releases October 29th on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, and The Ultimate Warrior is only available as a pre-order bonus on both platforms.

Credit: operationsports.com

I don't quite understand what a catapult finisher is.

I don't quite understand what a catapult finisher is.

I think they're akin to that moment in the 2K14 debut trailer where Michaels tossed Savage up in the air and SCM'd him on the way down. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Edited by Barracuda Rostigraben

One of the little changes I saw is there is now a hesitation to running instead of immediately entering into a full sprint.

Stuff like that. Nice. I might be getting WWE2k15. Will be so interesting to see what they do with this. I hope there is a demo for 14 so i can check out the little changes.