The Sky Bet Football League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

I feel for Leeds. They've been ran like shit for so long now. I hope they get back into the PL one day.

I just did that on FM.. if I can do it. :P

• Admin
Re-instated Leeds United manager Brian McDermott has vowed not to walk away from the club following a weekend of uncertainty over his future.
On Friday prospective new owner, Massimo Cellino, attempted to dismiss McDermott, but the club then said he would remain as boss.
McDermott, 52, reported for duty at the club's training ground on Monday.
"Some people in the game said to not go back, but there's no way I could leave the staff and supporters," he said.
"This situation should never happen to a football manager and let's hope it never happens again."
He admitted he had found Friday's events, when he was called by a lawyer representing Cellino - who has agreed to buy a 75% stake in Leeds, subject to the deal being approved - and told he had been relieved of his duties, hard to fathom.
"All along you think that's very odd," he continued. "You have to be the owner so I did think it was very strange to say the least. Whether it was illegal or not I don't know, but whoever sacks the manager has to own the football club.
"As far as I'm concerned I spoke to GFH, who are the owners of the football club, and I've had certain reassurances about my future and the running of the football club is down to me.
"Whatever happens we need some calm, we need this place to be going in the right direction - and until this time it's been going in the right direction.
"We had 31,000 on Saturday [for the 5-1 win over Huddersfield] - that tells you everything you need to know. The only thing that matters is moving forward the best way we can and put what has happened to bed.
"The ownership needs to be resolved very quickly. I've been given assurances that I answer to GFH and GFH only, and when the football club does change hands I will be told who the owners will be.
"You can be disappointed every day if you like, it's not my style, I don't hold grudges. The most important thing is the Leeds fans showed absolute class."
Earlier on Monday, club director and GFH Capital executive Salem Patel told BBC Radio Leeds the club wanted McDermott to stay in charge.
"We want Brian back and we want him managing the club again," said Patel.
"I was at home on Friday night and my wife started reading Twitter reports that Brian had been sacked.
"To be honest, I was shocked. I thought at least I would be privy to that information if it was going to happen.
"I called the chairman and he was equally surprised by the news.
"I called Brian and told him it was not something that was authorised by us. As soon as we found out, we reacted.
"We hired Brian, we hand-picked him and he has performed really well in the last year or so he's been here and we hope he continues to be our manager for the foreseeable future."

• Admin
Birmingham owner Carson Yeung resigns from positions of power with the English second-tier football club as he awaits the verdict in his money laundering trial in Hong Kong.
Yeung is listed on the club website as being president and director, but Birmingham's holding company announced to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange that he quit his directorships and "holds no positions in the group."
"Yeung resigned for the reason to devote more time to his other personal commitments,'' Birmingham International Holdings said.

The 53-year-old is awaiting the verdict in his money laundering trial in Hong Kong. Birmingham's holding company says he "holds no positions in the club" and stepped down from roles to "devote more time to personal commitments".

Doesn't help that Shaun Harvey is (somehow) the chairman of the football league :/

From wiki:

Harvey studied for his O Levels and A Levels at Hough Side High School in Bramley where he achieved average results and learnt how to irritate football fans.[citation needed]

Also worth mentioning that as soon as he takes over he says he's going to immediately: buy back Elland Road, pay off the money owed to Bates and pay off Enterprise Insurance's loan. He also intends to bring in DelPiero as a player coach.... so that's good. I'm still cautious but at least he's showing signs of sorting out the mess that's been with us for the last decade. Whether he brings his own mess with it, well, we'll have to wait and see

Del Piero is being paid quite handsomely in Sydney. Also, Sydney or Leeds, given the choice where would anyone with a brain choose to live?

Cellino might make him an offer he can't refuse :shifty:

But more seriously his contract is almost up and if he is serious about wanting to get into coaching then you'd probably rather do it at Leeds than Sydney.

• Like 1

2100 fans partaking in a 538 mile round trip for a 12:15 kick off. Deserve a performance like the second half last week.

For anyone keeping track we've made one change from last week: Brian McDermott is manager for today's game