The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

I couldn't take Meachum seriously at all, he isn't the slightest bit intimidating. I didnt really get the love for Cottonmouth, he didnt ever seem to really accomplish anything and was always undermined by Mariah. I thought Kingpin and Kilgrave were fantastic villains though.

I like the actor doing the work as Meachum I guess? I can’t really put my finger on it, but I like how he’s portraying Meachum. You initially don’t know what to think but can see there is a ruthlessness in him. 

D’Onofrio’s portrayal of Kingpin is excellent. He’s a great actor. 

And yeah Diamondback is a bit silly, but he’s also scary as shit because he’s just ruthless and probably insane.

16 hours ago, Hello said:

I finished Iron Fist season 1 last night and my opinion didn’t change. I really liked it, still not sure why it was slammed so hard. 

Like seriously, 18% on Rotten Tomatoes? Come on....

18 is ridiculous, that implies it's a worse watch than Dexter Season 8 which has a 48% or Scrubs season 9 (50%).
Meanwhile even the latest three Walking Dead seasons have rated above 60 percent!

But really, just shows that what critics think and what audiences think is a huge difference. Iron Fist was the worst season of all the other Netflix MCU series, yeah, but to imply it's amongst the worst that television has ever had to offer, that's mind-boggling.

• Like 1

I didn’t think it was boring at all. I loved the story and never felt like there was ever a lack of action. At some points it felt a bit like a silly kung fu movie, but that was endearing to me. 

I liked all four (five counting the Punisher). I don’t know if I have a favorite even though I said I did regarding Luke Cage. I don’t know, maybe going into Iron Fist with really low expectations helped? 

• Like 2

I didn't much like Iron Fist but almost everything I didn't like revolved around the boardroom, Meachum family nonsense and the fact that Daredevil Season 2 had already bored me to death of the Hand so hearing Rand bleat on about them turned me off a bit.

53 minutes ago, tristy said:

In other words, exactly how Punisher should be presented. :P

Yeah, I was actually just wondering what Chris expected. If this was Spider-Man and the show was similarly brutal and unforgiving, then yeah, there's a problem. But if you're doing The Punisher, it has to feel that way. It has to be dark, depressing, brutal. That's the world that the character lives in. Obviously, because of that, the show won't be everybody's cup of tea, but it doesn't work unless it's that way, and it's easily up in the top 3 for Marvel Netflix seasons.

• Like 2

On 17/08/2018 at 04:56, Hello said:

I finished Iron Fist season 1 last night and my opinion didn’t change. I really liked it, still not sure why it was slammed so hard. 

Like seriously, 18% on Rotten Tomatoes? Come on....

It was a boring shitfest, where the main protagonist is an idiotic, whiny white rich dude who's bland as fuck and also is like the shittiest kung fu "master" ever.

Colleen was literally the only good character that show had, and the fact she didn't just dump Danny out on his ass after an hour of speaking to him makes me really afraid for her.

3 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Iron Fist isn't even the worst Marvel show of the couple of years, let alone one the worst TV Series, period.

Yeah, Benjamin... Inhumans says hello. Season 2 of Jessica Jones was worse for me than Iron Fist as well.

I get the split on people liking and disliking Iron Fist, but it was well made, and fell victim to being compared to the other Netflix shows, as well as the backlash received when non-comic fans realized that there was a show coming out about a white dude who is the savior of a mystical Asian land and the conduit for the powers of the equally mystical, equally Asian-based Iron Fist.

Iron Fist got shit all over by people who had no clue about the source material, because of the rise in fighting against cultural appropriation and stereotypes. Most people I have spoken to who have negative things to say about the series haven't even watched the damn thing. They just spout off bullshit they read online or heard from equally ignorant people. There are people who watched it and didn't like it for various reasons, but that's the same with The Punisher (for being too violent), Jessica Jones (Season 2 was a mess with a storyline that probably should have played out in the background over the course of a few seasons, as opposed to being the driving force behind an entire season on its own), etc.

A lot of people don't like The Hand story, and Danny's personal story was similar to a lot of what we've seen from the origin-tales in the movies and shows, so it didn't really break new ground. I find a lot of people complaining about his personality, but he was a rich kid who ended up being raised by monks. Of course he's going to say things like "I am the Iron Fist, sworn protector of blah blah, enemy of blah blah, sioux chef at K'un Lun Diner" a million times. That's what he was raised to do. He's supposed to be awkward and out of place in America.

Season 1 may not have been what you wanted, but it was an effective (though not groundbreaking) delivery of the origin story for The Iron Fist and should lead to a better received second season. Great show? No. Good show? Depends on what you wanted. Bad show? No.