Telltale has posted that 3-4 partners have stepped forward with plans/funding to see episodes 3 & 4 of the Walking Dead Final Season released "in some form" with no real promise of anything yet. Could mean the games themselves, could mean something in the line of a graphic novel or similar from the way it's worded. I was figuring something like this would happen though - just not so soon.

The way this has all been handled is really kind of disgraceful. The laid of staff were given time to go into the offices and get their personal belongings and it seems as though the company waited until they had all gone before posting this message.

Now having said that I really want the game finished. I feel bad for all the staff but being completely selfish I want this game completed. I know it’s shitting all over the devs who have got nothing and are financially screwed but I’m not going to pretend that I don’t want the finished game, even if it means it appears in a different medium and done by volunteers. 

I'm okay with the idea of a kickstarter unconnected to Telltale, featuring people from the existing WD creative team, which is something I've also seen people call for but throwing money at telltale itself, after how everything went down? Eh.

I'd fear, instead of hiring back the previous team, telltale management would instead just hire the cheapest available options, release a half-arsed couple of episodes and give the majority of the donated money to creditors.

Edited by Noah

Fuck finishing the series, if telltale get money donated to them they best pay some god damned severance first.

250 people out of a job in an ultra competitive market in one of the most expensive cities to live in in the world is a metric fuck tonne more important than what happens in The Walking Dead.

• Like 4

Also here are (Steam) sales figures for all the TellTale games since BTTF.

nbJYD9C.jpg

It took just over two years for the hype to completely die down after TWD sold massively, only S2 and TWAU sold over a million on steam and the rest all dipped lower and lower, with Minecraft being the first one to dip below BTTF levels, never for them to recover.

And with reports that even a week prior to the massive firing they were hiring people, it just smacks of some massive corporate mismanagement on a massive scale. How can anyone see those numbers and go 'Yeah, we're doing great!'.

TWD effectively gave them the money to survive 5 years with, and they never even got close to those same heights again.

I do think the lack of advertising was one of their biggest downfalls. 

I had no idea a follow-up Batman series had been released until a few months after it had, as it wasn't promoted anywhere. Let alone Guardians of the Galaxy, which I thoroughly enjoyed, however again, it got no promotion whatsoever.

Yeah, a failure of both marketing and an unwillingness to address the illusion of choice critiques.

Wonder what the sales are for Strong Bad and Sam and Max. Got to be stronger than the JP game surely.

On 25/09/2018 at 16:44, Apsham said:

This just keeps getting worse. Apparently they were hiring people up to a week before this announcement, and now a class-action lawsuit because of the short notice of their layoff.

There was someone from over seas, here on a work visa, who now pretty much has to get out of the country.  Its just disgusting on all fronts.  And...ugh...someone on the Steam forums said if the devs "really cared for the characters and game", they should come back to work and finish it for free

1 hour ago, Lint said:

There was someone from over seas, here on a work visa, who now pretty much has to get out of the country.  Its just disgusting on all fronts.  And...ugh...someone on the Steam forums said if the devs "really cared for the characters and game", they should come back to work and finish it for free

I’ve said it before, but people really are the worst.

6 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I know it makes me a jerk and I accept that but I want to see the end of the story and I don't care who makes it.

I'm exactly the same. I've been flip-flopping about whether to play Episode 2 and I've eventually settled on deciding that I will. But yeah, I'm terrible but I want to know