The Summer Transfer Window Thread 2014/15

Lineker

The problem I have with the likes of Shaw costing £30m and being on 100k a week is that it's going to kill our national team dead if this kind of nonsense continues.

The reality is, he's worth about £8m - £15m tops. He's an unproven full back at international level who's had 1 decent season in the PL. It's precisely why PL teams outside the top 4 continue to turn to Europe for foreign players who are just as good and better than young English players for a fraction of the price.

• Like 1

The problem I have with the likes of Shaw costing £30m and being on 100k a week is that it's going to kill our national team dead if this kind of nonsense continues.

The reality is, he's worth about £8m - £15m tops. He's an unproven full back at international level who's had 1 decent season in the PL. It's precisely why PL teams outside the top 4 continue to turn to Europe for foreign players who are just as good and better than young English players for a fraction of the price.

But, if you're Southampton, why would you sell him for 8 mil? He's 18. If he's as good as people believe he could be then he's well worth the investment. It's hugely overpriced, but you're just in denial if you don't think that it makes some sort of sense.

Just the way football works now. He's 18 and looked extremely comfortable at left back. The idea that he can be this good at 18 clearly shows there's a lot of potential there, the kind of potential to be a world class full-back and be a top defender for years to come. That's worth a lot of money whether he's English or not. It doesn't hurt that a team like Southamption didn't need to sell him, and thus, can bump the price up pretty high.

Also, instead of buying the best English players about, clubs should need to start producing better players. I'm glad Southampton are making a great deal of money for producing half decent English players. Clubs are going to go abroad regardless at the moment because there just aren't enough good English players. If we produced more, there value would drop.

So big prices aren't killing our national team, it's the lack of good players we're producing. It doesn't help that clubs aren't as willing to imbed their own youth players these days. Southampton did, as other clubs should, and now they're making a great deal of money out of it.

Phil Jones had "potential" as well. As did Smalling, Scott Sinclair, Jack Rodwell, Adam Johnson, Ashley Young and Shaun Wright-Phillips to name a few when they moved to big clubs.

They all have one thing in common, they were all found out to be dogshit at the top level and were all replaced by cheaper, better foreign players.

But hey, I'm just in denial. What do I know.

• Like 1

tbf, Young was good at one point for Utd and SWP was hardly terrible for Chelsea. Rodwell had terrible luck with injuries too.

I don't think it's bad luck, he's just weak and not robust enough to play at the top level. But he still cost a fortune and is paid big wages because English.

• Like 1

He had injuries at Everton as well. It's not all bad luck. He's not robust enough to play at the top level but Man City still wanted to pay a fortune for his "potential" and were happy to pay the British premium rate for him and pay his big wages.

My problem is teams are happy to pay fortunes for overrated English players and if has a knock on effect on the national team. I'll leave it there.

Southampton should keep Chambers, five sub appearences and he'll be worth £25m in January.

Christ, 10 successful crosses and they can start talking Bale-money.

:shifty:

• Like 1

Southampton should keep Chambers, five sub appearences and he'll be worth £25m in January.

Christ, 10 successful crosses and they can start talking Bale-money.

:shifty:

Add a million for every aimless run into the opposing half?