Champions League 2014/15

DFF

Heh. Just finished watching a film but was aware Arsenal were 2-0 down. Quickly flicked over and my first 10 seconds went thusly:

"Oh hey, seems Arsenal got it back to 2-1. That should make the second leg interesting. ... That Monaco player's going on quite a run. ... Oh, 3-1 then. Maybe not."

• Like 1

We're the worst team to support.

Grabbing yourselves a lifeline in stoppage time and then still conceding another? Who else does that?

It happened against Liverpool once.

Oh wait, no, still you guys. :shifty:

Grabbing yourselves a lifeline in stoppage time and then still conceding another? Who else does that?

Not a cup game, but I recall a Chelsea v Villa league match where we'd spent most of the game losing, and in the 89th minute Terry put us 3-2 up and everyone went bananas.

Then Ciaran Clark was like "lol, no" and headed in a 91st minute corner.

Paging Rich and Dan to the thread.

It must be so hard to support a team that is in the CL, has some world class players and is consistently in the top four of the top tier :(

Thank God I don't support Arsenlol.

• Like 9

Iron Mike scored his first and only goal for us to put us ahead against Palace two minutes before time this season, only for us to then concede in the ludicrously awarded 6th minute of injury time. He'll never score again.

Found this interesting: a table of the odds (based on past results) of progression in the European Cup/Champions League after the specified 1st leg result.

So for example, Arsenal have a 1.5% chance of progressing after losing 3-1 at home, but Messi's penalty miss bumps City's chance up to a whopping 5.4%. :shifty:

chance-of-progress-given-1st-leg-odds.pn

• Like 1

I like that. Who are the idiots who squandered a 5-1 lead?

Actually found the answer to this in the comments of where I got it from: it has happened only once. In the 3rd round of the 1985/86 UEFA Cup (guess they're counting that too), Borussia Monchengladbach took a 5-1 home win against Real Madrid to the Bernabeu and lost 4-0 to go out on away goals.

• Like 4

• Admin
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has revealed that Nemanja Matic, who was suspended for the match, injured his ankle celebrating their Capital One Cup final win over Tottenham on Sunday. Matic followed captain John Terry's lead in donning full kit for the larking about and champagne spraying. "He put his shinpad on, but not the ankle tape," said Mourinho, adding he will be alright for the Champions League last 16 second leg against Paris St-Germain next week.