The Simpsons

Lord Nibbler

The couch gags are genuinely better than the show now.

It's sad watching the new ones. Any semblance of character is gone, there's a heavily featured celebrity every week and there's almost always an overly long sequence of physical comedy with no dialogue that falls flat. They're seemingly running down the clock at this point.

Which makes me wonder... If they freelance the cough gags these days, why not the episodes themselves? And I mean to actual writers, not celebrities skating on their reputations like Ricky Gervais and Seth Rogen. I can't recall which one now, but there's a classic episode (I want to say 'Homer Defined', trying to remember the Four Finger Podcast episode it was mentioned on now) that was essentially a cleaned-up submission. I do get tired of watching episodes written by people who clearly wanted a job on Family Guy instead.

• Like 1

Yeah Homer Defined was the one according to wiki. It would make perfect sense to at least try that, people with unique passionate ideas who know the characters.

That Gervais episode was an embarrassment, it just wasn't The Simpsons.

• 3 months later...

Wondering if anybody wants to help with a little Simpsons related Project.  Basically two friends of mine quote the Simpsons endlessly and we have all agreed they need to basically have a trivia off to finally settle who knows more about the show.  I am the one creating it and the final round I am stealing from some British Game Show I saw when I was staying in the UK and would need some help.

PM me a list of Simpsons characters, the more the better but I would prefer if you did it off the top of your head as opposed to looking anything up.  The contest is only seasons 3-10, so characters need to have appeared at least 5 times in that period.  That being said, if you are unsure if someone makes the cut just put them in anyways and I'll just remove anyone who doesn't fit.  Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie do not need to be included.

I'm going to collect 100 of these lists (I'm going to try to get the bulk from Reddit),  The less times they appear on the 100 lists the more they are worth points wise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As I mentioned before I'm doing this big Simpsons trivia thing for some friends and I'm not sure if the questions are too easy or too hard.  So in a bit of a test/for fun here are 20 of the questions randomly selected.  Note that some of these will be done in a lightning round so they might be easier for that reason.  Lets see if you can guess them.

Who is Bart's Bigger Brother?
Where did Marge plan a Family Vacation to (that was switched to Itchy and Scratchy Land)?
Who was the Grand Marshal on the Monorail's maiden voyage?
Who runs Kamp Krusty?
What epidemic is caused by the Juice Loosener?
What Band plays at Flaming Moes?
Who replaces Apu at the Kwik-E-Mart to research a movie role?
What Hockey Team does Lisa play for?
Where does Homer trick Barney into getting his Plow stuck?
What name is on Homer's Fake ID?
What cereal jingle does Homer sing while reentering orbit?
How does Moe save Earth from Kang and Kodos?
That starting Line up of which hockey team was on the Jury of the Damned?
What is the Springfield Elementary Mascot?
What is the name of the Ivory Dealer that tries to buy Stampy?
Who is Aristotle Amadopolis?
Who was the celebrity guest for the Junior Campers raft trip?
Who does Bart call in Austrailia?
What did Barney and Wade Boggs get in a bar fight over?
What are the names of Mr. Burns' goons?

I'll give 'em a shot. I don't know 'em all.

Spoiler

At first I thought you meant his good twin, Hugo. Anyway, I remember the guy, but I don't remember his name. Uh, Scott?

Where did Marge plan a Family Vacation to (that was switched to Itchy and Scratchy Land)?

The dentist? I think I'm confusing two things.

Who was the Grand Marshal on the Monorail's maiden voyage?

Leonard Nimoy.

Who runs Kamp Krusty?

Mr. Black? I think that's his name.

What epidemic is caused by the Juice Loosener?

Asian Flu? It's something like that.

What Band plays at Flaming Moes?

Aerosmith.

Who replaces Apu at the Kwik-E-Mart to research a movie role?

James Woods.

What Hockey Team does Lisa play for?

The Gougers? And was Bart's team The Pigs?

Where does Homer trick Barney into getting his Plow stuck?

Mount Springfield? I wanna say the Murderhorn, but that wasn't a thing yet.

What name is on Homer's Fake ID?

Brian McGee. He stayed up listening to Queen. When he was 17.

What cereal jingle does Homer sing while reentering orbit?

Golden Grahams.

How does Moe save Earth from Kang and Kodos?

Totally blanking on this.

That starting Line up of which hockey team was on the Jury of the Damned?

The New Jersey Devils? That's way too on the nose. I can't recall.

What is the Springfield Elementary Mascot?

Blanked on this.

What is the name of the Ivory Dealer that tries to buy Stampy?

No idea.

He owns the Shelbyville nuclear power plant.

Ernest Borgnine.

God, I forget the kid's name.

What did Barney and Wade Boggs get in a bar fight over?

PITT THE ELDER! LORD PALMERSTON! (Does that count?)

What are the names of Mr. Burns' goons?

Hired goons. . . . Hired goons? (I don't know.)

Damn. I think that's 50% right at best. That may be a decent rate though. I imagine people who seek out a Simpsons Trivia night will do slightly better than me.

5 hours ago, Azazel said:

As I mentioned before I'm doing this big Simpsons trivia thing for some friends and I'm not sure if the questions are too easy or too hard.  So in a bit of a test/for fun here are 20 of the questions randomly selected.  Note that some of these will be done in a lightning round so they might be easier for that reason.  Lets see if you can guess them.

Who is Bart's Bigger Brother? Pretty sure it's Tom
Where did Marge plan a Family Vacation to (that was switched to Itchy and Scratchy Land)? I forget specifically the name but it's the bird sanctuary.
Who was the Grand Marshal on the Monorail's maiden voyage? Lenard Nemoy
Who runs Kamp Krusty? My best friend in the whole wide world...Mr Black
What epidemic is caused by the Juice Loosener? Some sort of Asian flu thing...or am I mixing that up with when Bart gets ill from the germs in the Krusty meal toy?
What Band plays at Flaming Moes? Aerosmith
Who replaces Apu at the Kwik-E-Mart to research a movie role? James Woods
What Hockey Team does Lisa play for? Is she the Pigs or is that Bart? Caus I think one is the Pigs or something like that caus Wiggum coaches, the other is Apu so something Kwik E Mart related?
Where does Homer trick Barney into getting his Plow stuck? Again, I forget the actual name but it's up a mountain, is it just Mount Springfield?
What name is on Homer's Fake ID? Brian McGee
What cereal jingle does Homer sing while reentering orbit? Golden Grahams?
How does Moe save Earth from Kang and Kodos? RUN, HE'S GOT A BOARD WITH A NAIL THROUGH IT!
That starting Line up of which hockey team was on the Jury of the Damned? Philly Flyers, I think, like...19...69? Or something...
What is the Springfield Elementary Mascot? A puma? I know they have the whole 'Puma pride' thing, or is this more like a costumed mascot thing?
What is the name of the Ivory Dealer that tries to buy Stampy? DAMN YOU BLACKHEART, THAT WASN'T PART OF THE DEAL, THAT WASN'T PART!
What did Barney and Wade Boggs get in a bar fight over? Britain's greatest Prime Minister
What are the names of Mr. Burns' goons? Hired goons? I can't remember this one, I watched it recently as well...

I looked up the Aristotle one because I couldn't remember that. I like in Homer at Bat when he turns up again but obviously they don't have Jon Lovitz again so he's just generic voice #6.

EDIT: Shit, I was thinking Ernest Borgnine for the Junior Campers things. Like I couldn't remember his name but I was thinking of him, but I also don't remember his voice being that distinct. I think in my head I remember his voice being a lot more exageratted because of the character he does on Sponge Bob.

Answers for people guessing

Tom
Where did Marge plan a Family Vacation to (that was switched to Itchy and Scratchy Land)? Route 9 Bird Sactuary
Who was the Grand Marshal on the Monorail's maiden voyage? Leonard Nemoy
Who runs Kamp Krusty? Mr. Black
What epidemic is caused by the Juice Loosener? Osaka Flu
What Band plays at Flaming Moes? Aerosmith
Who replaces Apu at the Kwik-E-Mart to research a movie role? James Woods
What Hockey Team does Lisa play for? Kwik-E-Mart Gougers
Where does Homer trick Barney into getting his Plow stuck? Forbidden Widow's Peak
What name is on Homer's Fake ID? Brian McGee
What cereal jingle does Homer sing while reentering orbit? Golden Grahams
How does Moe save Earth from Kang and Kodos? Board with a Nail in it
That starting Line up of which hockey team was on the Jury of the Damned? 1976 Philadelphia Flyers
What is the Springfield Elementary Mascot? Puma
What is the name of the Ivory Dealer that tries to buy Stampy? Blackheart
Who is Aristotle Amadopolis? Owner of the Shelbyville Power Plant
Who was the celebrity guest for the Junior Campers raft trip? Ernest Borgnine
Who does Bart call in Austrailia? Bruco Dundridge
What did Barney and Wade Boggs get in a bar fight over? Britian's Greatest Prime Minister
What are the names of Mr. Burns' goons? Crusher and Low Blow