Euro 2016

Lineker

So now Albania will have to sit on their arses for three days to find out if they're through to the next round (not likely), with no clue on who they should be planning their next (not likely) match against. lol.

On the plus side, unless Ukraine miraculously become competent and win their game against Poland, Northern Ireland only need one more third place team to screw up and they're through to the last 16. Could happen as early as tomorrow night if Slovakia lose and Wales hold Russia to a draw.

• Admin

Wayne Rooney heads a list of six high-profile changes to England’s starting lineup for the final group B fixture against Slovakia on Monday night as Roy Hodgson takes a calculated gamble to rest key members of his squad in anticipation of reaching the knockout stages.

England need a point to be sure of progress to the last 16 and a victory to ensure they top the section, but Hodgson’s desire to freshen up his selection sees him even prepared to rest his captain, outstanding in midfield in the two games to date, with one eye on a knockout tie this weekend.

Rooney is set to be replaced by Jordan Henderson, now fully recovered from a knee injury, and Jack Wilshere will also be integrated into a new-look midfield three in which Eric Dier is the only survivor. The Tottenham Hotspur full-backs Kyle Walker and Danny Rose will also be given a breather, having illuminated the tournament so far, with Hodgson confident Nathaniel Clyne and Ryan Bertrand will have a similar positive impact.

Daniel Sturridge and Jamie Vardy, who were introduced at half-time against Wales and scored the goals which won that match, are to start. Harry Kane, Dele Alli and Raheem Sterling are the other players who drop to the bench.

It may be considered risky to start Wilshere and Henderson given their respective fitness issues in the buildup to the tournament. Eyebrows will also be raised at the omission of Rooney when it was felt he would benefit from more matches in a relatively unfamiliar position before, England hope, they face elite opponents in the knockout rounds.

The combined caps of the players in midfield and attack is 120, only a handful more than the 113 Rooney has.

Hodgson’s selection constitutes a further gamble given that it comes after Greg Dyke, the outgoing chairman of the Football Association, suggested England must reach the semi‑finals if the manager is to be sure of having his contract renewed.

Dyke, speaking to BBC 5 Live, reaffirmed that no decision would be made on Hodgson’s future until after the tournament but spelled out the minimum requirement.

“What we have said is, if we have done well and played well, then I think [the contract] will be renewed,” said Dyke, who will relinquish his position next month. “Doing well? Semi-finals would be great; quarter-finals if we play well and meet one of the best sides and, unfortunately, lost or went out on penalties, something like that.

“If you can win it that is great success. If you get knocked out in the group stage, that is a disaster. That is the sort of discussion that will go on.”

Hodgson, whose contract expires at the end of Euro 2016, offered a diplomatic response when asked about Dyke’s comments – the timing of which might have been deemed unhelpful – though Rooney was more forceful in his response.

“Of course we want him to stay,” said Rooney, who was appointed the national captain by the current regime. “Again, that’s down to his bosses but of course, as players, we want him to stay.

“It shouldn’t go unnoticed the amount of young players he’s introduced into the squad over the last four years either. There was a big issue in terms of everyone saying we didn’t have enough young players coming through in England, where other countries did.

“In fairness to the Premier League clubs they’ve brought young players through and Roy has picked them. In my opinion he’s created a very good team but also a fantastic atmosphere around the place: at the training ground and whenever we meet up. He’s formed a great base for England’s future over the next six to eight years.

“It is important as captain you have a good relationship with the manager and we keep in touch outside of the squad get-togethers. Then, when we meet up, we speak: not just myself but there are a few players who speak on behalf of the squad in terms of what’s better for us or for the coaches. In terms of my relationship with Roy, it’s very good and I’m sure he’d say the same.”

Hodgson, who would expect opportunities back in club management to extend his career if he does end up departing the FA this summer, remains focused purely on guiding England further in the tournament. “People are entitled to their opinion and it doesn’t bother me,” he said when asked about the timing of Dyke’s comments. “As far as I am concerned I am enjoying the tournament, I’m enjoying working with the players, I’m enjoying watching the team play.

“I shall continue to do that until such time as the FA say: ‘We don’t need you any more, we’re employing somebody else,’ and then I’ll move on. But I don’t decide what other people do or what other people say. Do you think I should decide on what my boss does? My boss will do what my boss wants to do and I, as an employee, will work until such time as I’m no longer needed. We move on from there.

“My contract runs out after this tournament. Everyone knows that. The subject gets brought up on a regular basis: should I stay? Do I want to stay? “What should the FA do? But I’m only concentrating on the next game. One day, after our sojourn at this tournament ends, the FA will need to make a decision as to what they want to do in regards to the future.”

I'm not a fan of resting half the team when you're not guaranteed a plum spot in the next round. We absolutely should be aiming to win the group, and there's 5/6 days to the next game anyway.

That said, if two of the 'rested' players are Kane and Sterling, who deserve dropping anyway, and two of the others are the full backs, then it might not be so bad. I find our four full backs very interchangeable anyway.

10 hours ago, GA! said:

So now Albania will have to sit on their arses for three days to find out if they're through to the next round (not likely), with no clue on who they should be planning their next (not likely) match against. lol.

On the plus side, unless Ukraine miraculously become competent and win their game against Poland, Northern Ireland only need one more third place team to screw up and they're through to the last 16. Could happen as early as tomorrow night if Slovakia lose and Wales hold Russia to a draw.

How are Northern Ireland guaranteed to finish ahead of Albania already? They're both on 3 points aren't they? Would it not come down to goal difference?

:p. You're right though, resting players is a good excuse to cycle out Kane and Sterling, then he can make decisions based on how well the 'understudies' do. I'd have Sturridge up top and Rashford left.

On 19/06/2016 at 13:55, New Damage said:

I just had a quick look at the TV schedule according to ITV's website for the matches tomorrow.

ITV 1: England vs Slovakia
ITV 2: England vs Slovakia
ITV 4: Wales vs Russia

...why?

Just looked at the listings and, on Sky, ITV 1 Wales are obviously showing the Wales game, as well as ITV 4, so to watch the England game in HD, you'd need to switch over to ITV 2.