Euro 2016

Lineker

This whole 3rd place thing is annoying. I know how my girlfriend feels now when I explain the offside rule to her. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davidmarrio said:

This whole 3rd place thing is annoying. I know how my girlfriend feels now when I explain the offside rule to her. 

Confused, angry and horny? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Adam said:

Am I right in thinking that if Northern Ireland get a draw tonight they will definitely be through? Since their goal difference is better than Slovakia's and they have more points than Albania in the event of them coming third with a draw.

Yes, you're right. It's the best four 3rd place teams, regardless of group, and a draw would guarantee a better finish than Slovakia or Albania.

The 3rd-place tie is between Groups A/C/D, not A/B/C, so Slovakia is involved in a different tie. Regarding Group D, if Czech Republic beat Turkey by a sufficient margin they could have better GD than Northern Ireland.

Best ranked groups Winner Group A v Winner Group B v Winner Group C v Winner Group D v
A B C D     3C 3D 3A 3B
A B C   E   3C 3A 3B 3E
A B C     F 3C 3A 3B 3F
A B   D E   3D 3A 3B 3E
A B   D   F 3D 3A 3B 3F
A B     E F 3E 3A 3B 3F
A   C D E   3C 3D 3A 3E
A   C D   F 3C 3D 3A 3F
A   C   E F 3C 3A 3F 3E
A     D E F 3D 3A 3F 3E
  B C D E   3C 3D 3B 3E
  B C D   F 3C 3D 3B 3F
  B C   E F 3E 3C 3B 3F
  B   D E F 3E 3D 3B 3F
    C D E F 3C 3D 3F 3E
Edited by Pizza

27 minutes ago, Adam said:

Cheers guys, clearly this format is a bit too convoluted.

I maintain 24 teams is fine, just not the group set-up. 4 groups of 6 would work for me.

Oh come on now. Think about how meaningless the group stage of Rugby World Cup is, with its groups of five teams. Or the Cricket World Cup, with its groups of of seven teams.

Recall the torpor of the UEFA Cup when it had groups of five teams.

Four teams in a group is nice and tight. Nothing beyond that works particularly well.

3 hours ago, metalman said:

Oh come on now. Think about how meaningless the group stage of Rugby World Cup is, with its groups of five teams. Or the Cricket World Cup, with its groups of of seven teams.

Recall the torpor of the UEFA Cup when it had groups of five teams.

Four teams in a group is nice and tight. Nothing beyond that works particularly well.

I don't know, you could do it so the group winners advance to the quarter finals automatically and 2nd/3rd place teams go through to a round preceding that (a little bit like the NFL play offs, maybe) meaning that most if not all games in the group stage would be meaningful.

Anyway, Northern Ireland are through tonight if Turkey win, which currently they are doing.