MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

• 3 weeks later...

Throwing my hat in for online franchise if one happens. Been playing loads this year, hitting finally starting to click after about 5 years of buying the game and getting frustrated. Possibly related to me actually watching more baseball this year. Haven't touched diamond dynasty much, but I did create a Bullet Club uniform. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a perfect game going through 6 with Seth Lugo against the D-Backs, gave up one hit, then a walk, then another hit and a home run. Still won the game, but it's really frustrating not at least getting the shutout, especially when other teams around the league have multiple. I can't even get a complete game out of the Mets' staff, but Kershaw and a few others have around 10.

Still game for online franchise btw, not sure how it works with so many games to play (I've only done Madden online before). 

2 hours ago, Cactus Drags said:

I had a perfect game going through 6 with Seth Lugo against the D-Backs, gave up one hit, then a walk, then another hit and a home run. Still won the game, but it's really frustrating not at least getting the shutout, especially when other teams around the league have multiple. I can't even get a complete game out of the Mets' staff, but Kershaw and a few others have around 10.

Still game for online franchise btw, not sure how it works with so many games to play (I've only done Madden online before). 

As a whole, you're gonna need players with good arm stamina, and go for ground balls rather than K's. Don't give the other guy a good hit off, and hope the fielders aren't utter idiots when grabbing groundballs.

Looking to strike everyone out is going to net you a bad time. So find a good arm with a curveball and force the batter to swing low.

Edited by Jasonmufc

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing a Jays franchise where I just play fun pitching match-ups, games where I want someone to bounce back or Critical Situation games. It's 2019, Stroman is my ace and he gets injured. I had been holding off on calling up a guy I drafted in 2017, Robert Leonard, who is an 80 overall and A potential. Have the AL East lead, so decide I need some reinforcements anyway. Player lock as Leonard - get absolutely rocked. 6 runs in the first inning, giving up 3 run homers to Chris Davis and Adam Jones. Not the debut I was hoping for.

I love this game.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Meacon said:

You could always bring back BHL. Or re-boot it!

I think I might have the files buried somewhere.

Another thought I had was to try and run a BHL-like baseball league through OOTP. Try and keep it super basic and stuff. Would just be easier to simulate the games and such. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

May as well just make this the official thread for all versions of MLB The Show.

I skipped 17 not because I didn't think it would be good, but because it didn't feel like there was a massive amount different from 17 to 16.  There didn't need to be, since the game is stellar as is - but I've kinda gotten past the point of buying a new game just for a roster updates.

Having said that, if there was a game worth buying just for a fresh coat of paint - it's this one.  I'm kinda sick of playing as created versions of Amed Rosario, Don Smith, Brandon Nimmo, TJ Rivera, Seth Lugo, and Robert Gsellman.  Oh yeah and seeing a fake version of Aaron Judge running around and not doing anything while the real player is one of the best in baseball.  :P

But beyond all of that, it seems like they've got a lot of new stuff in the pipelines this year.

showtwc-1000x600.jpg

Those asterisks on the schedule are things they're waiting until the stream to reveal, and the number of asterisks correlates to how many letters are in the thing they're hiding, as the February 15th one ended up being a really awesome new feature:  Batting Stance Creator :w00t:

As a franchise guy, I'm looking forward to seeing who joins the booth next week and the March 13th blog.  That being said, seeing "training points are a thing of the past" in RTTS makes me smile......I always got burned out on that mode quickly because of the training points.  This could be a game-changer in the mode for me.

• Like 2

I missed 17, partly because I only follow the sport lightly, but mainly because I'm far too attached to my 16 player. I know you can import saves from previous games, but I'd be worried that any new gameplay features would throw me off.

The thing about training points is potentially intriguing, but also perhaps a little worrying. I hope that doesn't mean more microtransactions instead.

Well they already have broken their own guidelines with the asterisks - as it was confirmed that "*** *****" joining the booth is actually Mark DeRosa :lol: he's replacing Harold Reynolds after only one year.

They've also added rain delays into the game.  It'll tell you how long the delay was at which point you can decide to keep your pitcher in or not (probably with some potential performance or injury risk attached).  Annoyingly though - there are no postponements or doubleheaders.  They're saying it's just not possible to program....which is kinda weird because the MLB 2k series had that as a feature over a decade ago.